Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Commentary repetition (/forums/showthread.php?t=930834)

dougdeuce 04-10-2018 11:09 AM

Commentary repetition

I know this is one of those things that really can't be perfect inside of a video game, but I have a few thoughts for what could go a long way in reducing the repetition.

In my RTTS I just played a 4 game series against the Dodgers in September, and they had a huge lead in their division. Every single game I heard the "These guys have a huge lead in their division, some people don't think that's a good thing because you can get complacent but I think it's good because you've earned it and can begin resting your players and start planning for the playoffs" line. Every game. In RTTS. Over 30 mins I heard it 4 times.

Which made me realize how often I hear the same storyline commentary in consecutive games. When playing my Twins franchise I will hear about Dozier being the player to look out for and how his hair never moves out of place 5 games in a row.

These lines are great, but only if I hear them sparingly. So, what if there was a system in place for these early game "story line" commentary lines that had a 7 game turnaround. If the player to watch out for is Buxton and his "dynamic play" then don't let the commentary choose that line of dialogue again for the next 7 games. Tell a different story. Just because the Dodgers have a 15 game lead doesn't mean you have to tell me every game. Tell me about how they're 5-2 over their last seven and really look poised to make a deep playoff run. Or how with their big lead they've been faltering as of late winning only 3 in the last 10.

I'm not trying to nit pick, I love the game and play it non-stop when I have the chance. Just trying to offer an idea on how to improve the user experience.

kaptainkarl76 04-10-2018 11:27 AM

Re: Commentary repetition

I hear the same arbitration lines in every game with Jackie Bradley Jr..Usually his 1st at bat..

kenp86 04-10-2018 11:44 AM

Know how many times ive heard Albies is the former top prospect.. ugh

Jimmydm90 04-10-2018 12:22 PM

I remember a couple of years ago that SDS said that they'd put something in the game that would track how often you were hearing lines of commentary and would retire (or rest) the lines you were hearing a lot.

Clearly that system is broken or they took it out because I hear the same lines all the time when I'm playing RTTS.

Lines I hear most often:
"Well this guy is making it pretty obvious why he's the lead off hitter. He manages to get on base to start the game and then steals second. He's trying to make an impact..."

"You can't let guys get le(voice cracks)ads like that. The guy behind the plate isn't known for having an arm..."

tjhamstar 04-10-2018 12:25 PM

I was playing against the Indians last night as part of my Tiger's franchise and Clevinger was on the mound. Every single batter, Vasgersian kept stating that there were no career at bat's against him, consecutively for each batter that came to the plate. It was absurd.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jimmydm90 04-10-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjhamstar (Post 2049312833)
I was playing against the Indians last night as part of my Tiger's franchise and Clevinger was on the mound. Every single batter, Vasgersian kept stating that there were no career at bat's against him, consecutively for each batter that came to the plate. It was absurd.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You might want to report that one as a bug.

Bremser_Rules 04-10-2018 02:44 PM

Derosa reminds me of Ray Liota from goodfellas!

AUTiger1 04-10-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenp86 (Post 2049312774)
Know how many times ive heard Albies is the former top prospect.. ugh

That's not all that unrealistic. Chip Caray says the same thing every game because it's like he gets amneisa every day. :nocomprende: