Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   How to make QB release speed matter (/forums/showthread.php?t=931498)

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ 04-24-2018 10:43 AM

How to make QB release speed matter

First I'm going to tell you why I feel this needs to matter in the game, and then I'm going to give a way that it could be easily implemented.

I've been on Jimmy Garoppolo's jock for a bit, and here is why: he has a certain gift that is so powerful that even when he's wrong, he's still right. This is what I'm talking about:

He doesn't see the linebacker. If Colin Kaepernick throws that, it's a pick six. But his release is fast enough to beat the linebacker's read on the pattern. The linebacker is on the way to the point of reception the moment Jimmy G brings his arm back to throw, but his throwing motion is so quick that the linebacker cannot get there in time.

Here is another gif showcasing release speed and angle and why it's a HIGHLY underrated trait:

And HERE is an example of what happens when you have a SLOW release (thank you Colin Kaepernick):
*note: if these gif's disappear, they are from the 2015 game against the Cardinals where he had back to back pick sixes.

As you can see, this physical trait is VERY important in the NFL. It needs to matter in the game. Kaepernick's passes here were telegraphed because of his LONG wind up and release.

So here is how you implement it in Madden:

Step 1: Remove choice of throwing/stance from character creation except as a trait. (i.e., it is no longer a mere cosmetic thing).

Step 2: Set up a trait called "Release speed," which will have a few tiers: Slow release (long wind-up will be the animation- like Kaepernick); Average release (your normal QB release speed); Fast release (similar to the previous but a little faster); Elite release (Jimmy G, Tom Brady, etc). These traits will come with animations. The Elite ones will have very efficient releases, the lower tier will have long windups. Side-arm, three-quarters and other cosmetic variations could still be implemented.

Step 3: Add special animations for those with Elite Release speed that will allow for them to twist their body and get rid of the ball with a defender all up in their face.

Step 4 (Most important part): For SLOW release QBs, make defenders begin their break on the pass at the moment the player presses the pass button (as long as the defender has an AVERAGE awareness/reaction rating). With the animation for release being slower, and the defender getting a head start on the pass instead of reacting late (which as it stands now, I believe is a function of QUARTERBACK awareness), make the defender's break on the ball timing depend on the RELEASE trait of the QB. If the QB has a slow release, not only does the slightly slower animation give the defender an advantage over a fast release QB, the defender also gets what amounts to an awareness boost: he breaks on the ball as soon as the button is pressed.

Do these things, or something similar, and suddenly one of the most important skills a QB has can finally be brought into Madden.

"If it's in the game, it's in the game," after all. And at this point it is NOT. So put this in.

JayCutlersCig 04-24-2018 04:47 PM

Re: How to make QB release speed matter

I actually like this idea; it would be neat to see a Dan Marino-esque release where the ball is just snapped from the wrist in a hot second.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Shogunreaper 04-25-2018 01:50 PM

i mean its very unlikely they don't know how to solve the problem.

they just decided it's not worth the time effort and money.

Gosens6 04-25-2018 05:33 PM

This something All Pro Football 2K8 had down perfectly. The difference in QB play was staggering.

UltraHD 04-25-2018 09:13 PM

Yeah I agree massively. I remember a slant pass by Rodgers, it might have been against the Saints I can't remember 100%, but his release was so quick and the ball had so much zip on it that the linebackers couldn't pick it. If he had waited ever so slightly longer it probably would have been. So yeah this trait should be added.

threattonature 04-30-2018 12:15 PM

I love this idea. But if added then it would definitely need to be a trait that could be viewed during scouting for the draft. I would hate to have a QB with great traits but then a slow release that you don't discover until having already drafted them.

But I do think it's another way of separate the QB tiers even more. Would also play a factor in telling the secondary to be aggressive when attacking balls against a slow release versus being conservative against a QB with a quick release.

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ 05-01-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threattonature (Post 2049338872)
I love this idea. But if added then it would definitely need to be a trait that could be viewed during scouting for the draft. I would hate to have a QB with great traits but then a slow release that you don't discover until having already drafted them.

But I do think it's another way of separate the QB tiers even more. Would also play a factor in telling the secondary to be aggressive when attacking balls against a slow release versus being conservative against a QB with a quick release.

Not a fan of that at ALL. Just have their reaction begin the moment you press the button, and a slower release will give them a split second more to get to the ball. I really hate having Madden QB ratings affect how CBs cover. The only way that happens in real life is if the qb uses a pump fake or his eyes to trick them.

Tom Brady doesn’t make defenders react slower. He just reads defenses better and throws more accurately than anyone else.

reyes the roof 05-01-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ (Post 2049340253)
Not a fan of that at ALL. Just have their reaction begin the moment you press the button, and a slower release will give them a split second more to get to the ball. I really hate having Madden QB ratings affect how CBs cover. The only way that happens in real life is if the qb uses a pump fake or his eyes to trick them.

Tom Brady doesn’t make defenders react slower. He just reads defenses better and throws more accurately than anyone else.

I think you guys are essentially talking about the same thing. A defensive back isn't going to jump routes as aggressively against Aaron Rodgers and his quick release the same way they would against Byron Leftwich