Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   6th Inning Comeback (/forums/showthread.php?t=931699)

dubplate 04-28-2018 12:23 PM

6th Inning Comeback

Why does the CPU always seem to mount a comeback in the 6th inning no matter how well my pitcher was doing previously?

It’s not due to my pitcher being tired so the only thing I can think of is it’s SDS’ attempt at replicating the success batters can have seeing pitchers the third time through the lineup.

It’s pretty obnoxious as it happens in the majority of the games I’ve played and it’s starting to become a major frustration with this game for me.

Caulfield 04-28-2018 12:31 PM

Re: 6th Inning Comeback

this is where IRL on avrage, starters are pulled because besides just energy, the hitters are generally going through their lineup for the 3rd time and have seen the pitchers pitches enough that if you're becoming predictable, the hitters will seize the opportunity. I'm not saying your falling into a pattern with your pitches because obviously I can'y know that. But it is where I'd look at first.

dubplate 04-28-2018 12:38 PM

I use API so that’s not the case which leads me to believe it’s something coded into the game to simulate that.

I get that it happens, but it happens far too often. I shouldn’t have to take my pitcher out after the 5th inning of every game.

nomo17k 04-28-2018 12:45 PM

I wrote a blog post on this very topic a while ago. Here is the post. While the "comeback" discussion has died down quite a bit since then (thanks to the explicit revelations from the SDS devs and also how the game has become better tuned), I think the data there may still be relevant.

Basically it is true that the starter becomes ineffective around the 6th inning when he becomes low on stamina. That's when his ability becomes on par or worse than a typical well-rested reliever, so deciding whether to pull him or not is one of those critical managerial decisions that you need to make.

Another must read is a forum post from AI programmer B. Ma about pitching in the game. If I can find it I'll post a link to it (probably still in this or the last gen forum), but it has wealth of info about how the game works internally. (EDIT: Here is the link).

On the other hand, if you don't like how quickly starter becomes ineffective, one thing you could try is to increase the Starter Stamina slider. That extends pitchers effectiveness over higher pitch count.

Caulfield 04-28-2018 12:46 PM

ah, API. I have issues with the CPU calling my game. Definitely not letting it do it in the latter stages of a game where the right pitches are absolutely critical.

Bochte23 04-28-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubplate (Post 2049336576)
Why does the CPU always seem to mount a comeback in the 6th inning no matter how well my pitcher was doing previously?

It’s not due to my pitcher being tired so the only thing I can think of is it’s SDS’ attempt at replicating the success batters can have seeing pitchers the third time through the lineup.

It’s pretty obnoxious as it happens in the majority of the games I’ve played and it’s starting to become a major frustration with this game for me.

for me it's always the 7th or 8th inning. There is scripting when playing against CPU. They can deny all they want. It happens too many times for it not to be. Whether it's a totally ridiculous error by one of my fielders, or a home run hit on a pitch so far out of the strike zone, Rick Vaughn would be embarrassed, it's in there.

Caulfield 04-28-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bochte23
There is scripting when playing against CPU. They can deny all they want. It happens too many times for it not to be.

There could be another reason you can't hold a lead. :y220a:

dubplate 04-28-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomo17k (Post 2049336606)
I wrote a blog post on this very topic a while ago. Here is the post. While the "comeback" discussion has died down quite a bit since then (thanks to the explicit revelations from the SDS devs and also how the game has become better tuned), I think the data there may still be relevant.

Basically it is true that the starter becomes ineffective around the 6th inning when he becomes low on stamina. That's when his ability becomes on par or worse than a typical well-rested reliever, so deciding whether to pull him or not is one of those critical managerial decisions that you need to make.

Another must read is a forum post from AI programmer B. Ma about pitching in the game. If I can find it I'll post a link to it (probably still in this or the last gen forum), but it has wealth of info about how the game works internally. (EDIT: Here is the link).

On the other hand, if you don't like how quickly starter becomes ineffective, one thing you could try is to increase the Starter Stamina slider. That extends pitchers effectiveness over higher pitch count.

Looks like I may need to bump up stamina one tick. This is some good info and much appreciated.