Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports UFC (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=535)
-   -   Why don't you like grappling in this game? (/forums/showthread.php?t=931809)

Phillyboi207 05-01-2018 09:36 AM

Why don't you like grappling in this game?

I wanted to figure out why so many people aren't interested in the grappling

This may give the devs direction for what people want fixed

LarsP 05-01-2018 09:56 AM

Re: Why don't you like grappling in this game?

Good thread.

Let me start by saying that creating a grappling mode that everyone likes is an utopia. Translating MMA grappling to a video game is probably one of the most challenging tasks for any video game developer.

I'm no ground expert nor a game developer so my inputs are mostly based on visuals.

What I don't like about the current grappling system is the lack of fluidity. Everything looks like it's stuck in the mud, GnP looks robotic. I love to give people some Barboza'esque mauling on the ground, but in this game that just doesn't give any satisfaction.

To be honest, I'm not sure what direction they should go in terms of controls, or just completely new grappling mechanics.

I want to see more fluidity, more cage positions, more struggles for takedowns, body knee's from back side and ground sways.

Find_the_Door 05-01-2018 09:58 AM

Three reasons:

Because I grapple in real life

Because it's been done better before

Because it's extremely limited and hardly anyone feels unique

Phillyboi207 05-01-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Find_the_Door (Post 2049340034)
Three reasons:

Because I grapple in real life

Because it's been done better before

Because it's extremely limited and hardly anyone feels unique

Care to go into detail about number 2?

What exactly has been done "better" ? I'm hoping we can provide as much detail as possible for the devs.

They clearly listen to our feedback and I think the more depth we provide with our answers the greater the chance of them listening.

Morgan Monkman 05-01-2018 10:05 AM

Using the stick to transition while having the ability to do quick transitions or special transitions with the use of l1 or r1.

That was always the best, felt real fast and responsive.

This filling meters and landing baby punches to fill up a meter called "grapple advantage" is absolutely terrible.

Having to literally guess which way to stop someone from transitioning is absolutely terrible as well.

Abstrakt fists 05-01-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillyboi207 (Post 2049340039)
Care to go into detail about number 2?

What exactly has been done "better" ? I'm hoping we can provide as much detail as possible for the devs.

They clearly listen to our feedback and I think the more depth we provide with our answers the greater the chance of them listening.

Grappling in general has been done way better by both THQ and EA MMA.

My main complaint is that it is slow and lacks fluidity. I dont know exactly how to explain it but it just is not fun. It is a complete halt in the action to sit and switch off filling up bars and flicking the stick. To be honest I dont even understand what is supposed to be fun or engaging about it. I am fairly good at it and could win most matches if i wanted to go to the ground but I would rather watch paint dry.

Dankoz 05-01-2018 10:26 AM

Because grappling is all about spamming transition fakes and it's not realistic.

aholbert32 05-01-2018 10:30 AM

My take is no game has ever gotten it right:

UD3 had great GNP, more positions (butterfly guard, more cage positions) and things like head movement on the ground. The sub system sucked and the overall mechanics were more turn based than UFC 3.

UFC3's system is better than any other games in my opinion. It isnt turn based, there is the momentum system and there is more of a flow. The sub system is average and the GNP is really weak. Also there should be more positions.

The only thing I liked about EA MMA's grappling was the choke submission system. I felt like that was the best sub system I've played.