Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Classic pitching mechanics different or broken this year? (/forums/showthread.php?t=932230)

kubankaos 05-12-2018 03:37 PM

Classic pitching mechanics different or broken this year?

Or am I misunderstanding it?

Just picked it up. And I was in practice mode, I set it for repeat play and 3-0 count to try to minimize the batter swinging. That way I could practice my timing and see the pitch feedback, like early, good, late. If the batter swings you don't see your pitch release feedback.

But what I started to notice was it didn't seem to matter how long I would hold down the button. I started repeatedly holding it down until the vibration and past and I would get either early, good, or late pitch release timing feedback.

I then tried just barely tapping and I would see the same thing..early, good, or late.

I always thought that the longer I held down the button it would have a later release point on the pitch?

Thanks.

kubankaos 05-12-2018 03:44 PM

Re: Classic pitching mechanics different or broken this year?

Actually something just hit me. Could maybe say the very early part of releasing or very late releasing, it gets ignored and becomes ratings based instead.

So you have to hold initially beyond a certain percentage, then you have a scale that you can influence it, and if you wait too long then the pitch release becomes ratings based again?

Hope that makes sense. But I could see that. Not sure how to test that reliably.

saucerset 05-12-2018 04:22 PM

It's always been my understanding that the amount of time holding the button does nothing in classic.

nemesis04 05-12-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubankaos (Post 2049352726)
Or am I misunderstanding it?

Just picked it up. And I was in practice mode, I set it for repeat play and 3-0 count to try to minimize the batter swinging. That way I could practice my timing and see the pitch feedback, like early, good, late. If the batter swings you don't see your pitch release feedback. No reason for the system to be offering release feedback.

But what I started to notice was it didn't seem to matter how long I would hold down the button. I started repeatedly holding it down until the vibration and past and I would get either early, good, or late pitch release timing feedback.

I then tried just barely tapping and I would see the same thing..early, good, or late.

I always thought that the longer I held down the button it would have a later release point on the pitch?

Thanks.

With classic pitching you are determining how much effort you are putting into a pitch. Release point is not a factor with this mechanic, that would be meter.

kubankaos 05-12-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemesis04 (Post 2049352793)
With classic pitching you are determining how much effort you are putting into a pitch. Release point is not a factor with this mechanic, that would be meter.

Doh, thanks.

I think I remember how a quick press would give more break to say a change/curve, but somehow I got it confused with the release point.

SidBream 05-12-2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubankaos (Post 2049352800)
Doh, thanks.

I think I remember how a quick press would give more break to say a change/curve, but somehow I got it confused with the release point.

Quick tap yields a slow looping curve while pressing to vibration gets you a sharp break, sometimes at the expense of control.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

kubankaos 05-12-2018 07:10 PM

Thanks. :)