Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Breaking Down the Early PES 2019 News (/forums/showthread.php?t=932665)

Steve_OS 05-24-2018 12:25 PM

Breaking Down the Early PES 2019 News

This is the time of year where normally sports news, and in general, excitement remains fairly...

Written By: Kevin Groves

Click here to view the article.

Turbojugend 05-24-2018 01:17 PM

Re: Breaking Down the Early PES 2019 News

Excellent article, thanks KG.

The license news is somewhat underwhelming. I will enjoy playing a full season in the SPL, but really, I can already get that with a decent option file. Actually, I'd love nothing better than if PES were to go the Fire Pro Wrestling route: Make every team, player, league and competition in the game fictional, just give us ultimate customization control. The current option file system is working just fine (sorry Xbox owners), but it also has room to improve.

As far as the on-pitch action, Konami just needs to keep doing what they're doing. Yes, I see the same overabundance of backheels and lack of fouls as everyone else, but honestly, I also see a game that is pulling away from its competitor year-by-year in terms of strategy and gameplay. The last three years of PES have been a joy to play, hopefully 2019 makes a great series even greater.

KennyJ1976 05-25-2018 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbojugend (Post 2049364981)
Excellent article, thanks KG.

The license news is somewhat underwhelming. I will enjoy playing a full season in the SPL, but really, I can already get that with a decent option file. Actually, I'd love nothing better than if PES were to go the Fire Pro Wrestling route: Make every team, player, league and competition in the game fictional, just give us ultimate customization control. The current option file system is working just fine (sorry Xbox owners), but it also has room to improve.

As far as the on-pitch action, Konami just needs to keep doing what they're doing. Yes, I see the same overabundance of backheels and lack of fouls as everyone else, but honestly, I also see a game that is pulling away from its competitor year-by-year in terms of strategy and gameplay. The last three years of PES have been a joy to play, hopefully 2019 makes a great series even greater.

That idea is insane. If you make option files that’s different, if not then I’m pretty sure the guys that put all the hours in making option files would highly disagree. The more licensed teams and leagues Konami adds, the less work those guys have to do, for free I might add. Let Konami do their job.
As for changes that I would like to see. I wish Konami would add an option to disable the 1st summer transfer window in ML. That would definitely help get rid of the ridiculous transfers that occur at the start of your ML. Also have injuries occur on more than just bad challenges, but also on good challenges, collisions, and player fatigue. One more thing that I want is letting us set up the group stages ourselves in the now unlicensed European competitions in ML. If Konami can do those things and improve other issues like online gameplay, then I would be a happy camper. Oh yeah, almost forgot. Bring back stadium creator.

tinpanalley 05-28-2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbojugend (Post 2049364981)
I see the same overabundance of backheels and lack of fouls as everyone else, but honestly, I also see a game that is pulling away from its competitor year-by-year in terms of strategy and gameplay

Totally agree, in fact what I tell people all the time when they ask is that the major difference between the two each year is that the major competitor is a gorgeously produced experience that feels like you're playing a slightly oversimplified and slightly cartoonish but incredibly beautiful video game. And PES feels like you're watching a real life football match that you're controlling. Despite the fouls, and any other issues people might have. In my opinion, PES could have no licensing at all and the community would put something together that would be better than FIFA in every way. Most people in FIFA who argue that the licensing is their deal breaker play the popular teams they like in the leagues that are best known and most popular. So they see stadiums, player faces for even some bench players, uniforms, etc. Try playing in ANY other lesser known league and you quickly start to realise that idealised depth FIFA is argued to have in realistic presentation doesn't go very far. But I'm not knocking it, I play it every year as well as PES and it does what it does very well. I just don't put it in the same league as PES.

stevostl 05-30-2018 10:29 PM

you guys are right about the strategy type of gameplay PES offers when compared to FIFA.

I have played both this year like usual. I mainly buy fifa because I play some clubs and with online friends sometime and with most guys i know in person. it's hard to convince everyone to play pes sometimes. although I have convinced some over the years. any ways, I started this year playing PES first for awhile before I played FIFA and at that time I mainly played PES online as well... and then switched to FIFA after a couple of months.... I will say the thing I miss most about PES that is way better is the tactics and setting up your team and formation basically.. that whole area of the game to me in PES is like a game in itself almost to me when compared to fifa which is boring in that area. maybe it's because I play the game my entire life and I just like that aspect of the realism better. The stuff you do in PES in that area is much deeper and fun to play around with. to me in FIFA it's very basic and boring setting up your teams and you use formations online..If you like tactics and counter or strategy PES is for sure better in that area no doubt. FIFA is good for the casual and the big fan of the real alike who can pick up and up and play and learn it fast. FIFA is more about who is better with joystick and moves when competing against other humans as PES is more about who is smarter at countering what tactics at times.. or at least that does play in to it more. I had my own online league this year in both and I enjoyed the PES more simply because that reason. BOTH games have it's problems but one of the reason some of my friends got annoyed with PES is because it has more automated stuff that happens that is out of your control and they get so upset that they lose because of it.. calling it a garbage game.. and at the same time the AI in PES helps you more basically on D well when compared to FIFA which is more about who can work the joystick faster and control everything..you have more control the outcome at times. This is just my opinion. it comes from mostly playing online in both and others offline. I downloaded the world cup mode for fifa last night and played one game. I was brazil vs Germany and played on legend default sliders and speed. Lost 1 - 0. it was fun and okay but now I think i'm also going to put PES back in and start a master league something I never even did with it this year yet really and try to enjoy it more. any recommended gameplay settings?

tinpanalley 05-31-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevostl (Post 2049373059)
you guys are right about the strategy type of gameplay PES offers when compared to FIFA...

One more thing I wanted to add (having read your post and agreeing with you especially on the thing about people not being able to figure out how to fully control their player and then saying it sucks) the fact that although I think I DID know about it, I seem to have completely forgotten about Fluid Formations until yesterday when I came across it by accident. I now have to find a tutorial or something because I completely forgot how it works. But that's like opening up a whole new section of the game I had forgotten about. I honestly think, because I don't really care much about the images and artwork, that PES2018 would be better than FIFA for playing a World Cup this summer as long as I can find a good patch or option file with all the latest uniforms and squads.

Actually a second thing, just occurred to me... one of the things I love most about PES that you can't do in FIFA unless you edit some of the ini files is run too far. In FIFA I feel like I can turn on a dime with ANY player of ANY skill level. And one thing I love about sports games is when I have to be as careful with my controls as players do in real life. Even with Cristiano Ronaldo, if you're racing down the flank top speed, you do actually have to calculate space to stop and turn because your momentum CAN actually make you go too far or you DO manage to stop but you lose the ball because you overrun it. Along with that is not standing in the right place and kicking a ball with the side of your foot, passing too quickly and not getting enough force on the ball, deking too fast with a player with lesser skill and losing control of the ball... all those things are the kind of thing I love seeing in sports games. Same type of realistic physics you find in MVP 2005, NFL 2K5, NHL 2K8. PES is a rarity in modern sports games for its commitment to realistic physics. Although to be fair, in the essential things, FIFA is fine, it just lacks refinement in depicting realism and I get that it does that in order to be pleasing to a wider range of people's abilities. They want kids to play it as much as adults and that means you need to make it easier to pick up and play. And increasing the difficulty level i FIFA doesn't make the game more realistically challenging it just seems to crank everyone's intensity. Harder shouldn't mean "more aggressive" and "faster", it should mean more intelligent.

Turbojugend 05-31-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinpanalley (Post 2049369831)
In my opinion, PES could have no licensing at all and the community would put something together that would be better than FIFA in every way.

Exactly. As for putting the onus on option file creators, one solution is to do away with the option file system completely and create a hosted server solution where creators can upload their individual teams, players, etc. This would completely open the floodgates for all creators, so that you could download the exact version of Everton that you want, etc.

2K currently does this with the NBA and WWE series and it works to perfection. FIFA did it for years with Creation Centre, until they moved to current-gen and likely decided it wasn't making them any money. The Show has it for DD logos. Even the old NCAA games had it (Teambuilder), so the precedent is there and has been for years.

(And yes, I am a creative content creator for sports games. Not PES per se, but I've done loads of stuff for FIFA, NBA 2K, The Show, and others).

stevostl 05-31-2018 02:54 PM

Quote:

I honestly think, because I don't really care much about the images and artwork, that PES2018 would be better than FIFA for playing a World Cup this summer as long as I can find a good patch or option file with all the latest uniforms and squads.
that sounds like a great idea.. I will look for a world cup patch :)

Quote:

Actually a second thing, just occurred to me... one of the things I love most about PES that you can't do in FIFA unless you edit some of the ini files is run too far. In FIFA I feel like I can turn on a dime with ANY player of ANY skill level. And one thing I love about sports games is when I have to be as careful with my controls as players do in real life. Even with Cristiano Ronaldo, if you're racing down the flank top speed, you do actually have to calculate space to stop and turn because your momentum CAN actually make you go too far or you DO manage to stop but you lose the ball because you overrun it. Along with that is not standing in the right place and kicking a ball with the side of your foot, passing too quickly and not getting enough force on the ball, deking too fast with a player with lesser skill and losing control of the ball... all those things are the kind of thing I love seeing in sports games. Same type of realistic physics you find in MVP 2005, NFL 2K5, NHL 2K8. PES is a rarity in modern sports games for its commitment to realistic physics. Although to be fair, in the essential things, FIFA is fine, it just lacks refinement in depicting realism and I get that it does that in order to be pleasing to a wider range of people's abilities. They want kids to play it as much as adults and that means you need to make it easier to pick up and play. And increasing the difficulty level i FIFA doesn't make the game more realistically challenging it just seems to crank everyone's intensity. Harder shouldn't mean "more aggressive" and "faster", it should mean more intelligent.
ha, you just said a lot of what I wanted to try to say ... everything you said is right on and why a lot of people like to play fifa (besides licenses) though as well because you can do that and control your player easier. this is the reason why it's easier to score goals and fifa is a goal scoring game when compared to pes. when I first moved to FIFA this year.. I was scoring goals like crazy when compared to PES I would have 0 - 0 or many 1 - 0 games against friends. I think the biggest reason for that has to do what you said.. how easy it is to shoot and finesse shot in fifa when compared to pes.. and also because the computer AI defenders in fifa are no good compared to PES which is very good as far as helping you..