Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Basketball Dynasties (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   The Story of Ted Cox: College Bball Coach (/forums/showthread.php?t=933061)

rjsuperfly66 06-03-2018 12:57 PM

The Story of Ted Cox: College Bball Coach

April 1st, 2017
USA Today

The news is official -- AP and USA Today All-American Ted Cox has been diagnosed with a career-ending knee injury. Cox led the University of Kansas to the Final Four before suffering the gruesome knee injury in the second half, a game the Jayhawks eventually ended up losing.

Cox was a Top 100 prospect who developed in Bill Self's system. He had a fantastic senior year, averaging 19.8 points and 6.8 assists, leading the Jayhawks to the #1 ranking in the country and the #1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament. The charismatic Cox saw his NBA stock rise drastically, as many thought his skills and leadership ability were going to land him in the Top 5 of June's NBA draft.

Without being able to reach his full potential in the NBA, USA Today did reach out to the 22 year old Cox to find out what was next:

"I love basketball, it's been my life, and I'm heartbroken to not be able to continue my playing career. It's not just about the money -- It's about success, about being a role model, about proving that hard work pays off. While unfortunate to be unable to continue my playing career, I've decided to give back and try to give back as a D1 basketball coach."

USA Today has reached out to a few Division 1 coaches to comment. One told us: "Cox was very charismatic and a great leader on the court. He was a fearless competitor and I believe he would make a great head coach."

Another coach told us: "This job is very hard and requires countless hours to achieve success. It's one thing to be able to put the ball in the basket in the gym, but at his age, I'm not sure he has what it takes."

It's rumored that a few different schools have expressed interest in the All-American, and that he is expected to decide between offers at McNeese St., Mississippi Valley St., and Nebraska-Omaha.

The world will be sure to watch with interest into what decision Cox makes.

rjsuperfly66 06-03-2018 01:04 PM

Re: The Story of Ted Cox: College Bball Coach

April 15th, 2017
USA Today

McNeese St has just announced that former All-American Ted Cox has accepted the offer to become the new head coach of the McNeese St. basketball program. Cox was thought of to be a potential Top 5 pick in June's NBA draft, but saw his career come to an end after a horrific injury in the Final Four.

"I'm very excited to be a part of the McNeese St. family. I did have interest from multiple programs, but McNeese St seemed like a great fit to begin and develop my career," said Cox as his introductory press conference.

In a comment from AD Greg James, he told the media "We expect amazing things with Ted as the head of our basketball program. He had a fantastic playing career, and while he is disappointed that it was cut short, we will give him all of the resources he needs to be successful."

With the roster in turmoil after a disappointing 2017-2018 season, Cox will have some tough decisions to make.

"It was very important to me to always want to work hard to be the best, and it's important that any player of mine expresses the same values."

rjsuperfly66 06-03-2018 01:13 PM

College Bball Preview - 2018 Predictions

Preseason Final Four Projections

1) North Carolina
4) Auburn

2) Arizona
3) Providence

Southland Conference Projections
1. New Orleans
2. Nicholls St.
3. Sam Houston St.
4. Abilene Chrisitian
5. Texas A&M-CC
6. Stephen F Austin
7. Lamar
8. Houston Baptist
9. Central Arkansas
10. Incarnate Word
11. McNeese St.
12. Southeastern Louisiana
13. Northwestern St.

McNeese St Rotation
1. Frank Lyons (JR)
2. Jon Easley (JR)
3. Reilly Reid (SR)
4. Kenyote Aspe (SR)
5. Fabian Richardson (JR)
6. Easton Kates (JR)
7. Zach Davis (JR)
8. Adam Foster (FR)
9. Eli Wade (SR)
10. Jacoby Allen (SR)

rjsuperfly66 06-03-2018 04:51 PM

2018-2019 Non-Conference Schedule
@ Furman
vs #8 Alabama
vs Southern Miss
@ Charlotte
vs Liberty
vs Princeton
@ East Tennessee St
@ Wright St
vs Portland
@ Boston University
vs Mercer
@ Illinois Chicago
vs Harvard
vs Duquesne

2018-2019 Southland Conference Schedule
vs Sam Houston St
@ New Orleans
vs Nicholls St
vs Incarnate Word
@ Central Arkansas
vs Lamar
vs Northwestern St
@ Stephen F Austin
@ Southeastern Louisiana
@ Texas A&M-CC
vs Houston Baptist
@ Abilene Christian
@ Nicholls St
vs Central Arkansas
vs New Orleans
@ Sam Houston St
vs Southeastern Louisiana
vs Texas A&M-CC

Scheduling Comments from Coach Cox:

"I'm very excited heading into our first season. We have an experienced roster that will hopefully allow us to be very competitive. It's been a challenge coming in as Head Coach, basically being the same age as some of our student-athletes, but I've told them I'll continue to work hard for them if they work hard for me."

rjsuperfly66 06-03-2018 05:00 PM

Week 1 2018 Results

W at (0-0) Furman, 62-51
Led by 23 points from Kenyote Aspe

L vs (1-0)#8 Alabama, 81-51
Led by 8 points from both Kenyote Aspe and Easton Kates

Record: 1-1

Top 5
1. UNC
2. Arizona
3. Auburn
4. Dayton
5. Providence

rjsuperfly66 06-03-2018 05:04 PM

Week 2 2018 Results

L vs (2-0) Southern Miss, 51-46
Led by 12 points from Jon Easley

L at (2-1) Charlotte, 53-52
Led by 9 points from both Kenyote Aspe and Zach Davis

Record: 1-3

Top 5
1. UNC
2. Arizona
3. Auburn
4. Dayton
5. Kentucky

Coach Cox Comments:
"It's been a tough start to the season. To have a few close, winnable games, and not be able to steal a game or two, it's tough. But all we know is that we need to continue to get better, and we'll be winning some of these games at the end of the year."

rjsuperfly66 06-03-2018 05:24 PM

Week 3 2018 Results

L vs (2-2) Liberty, 57-48
Led by 10 points from both Easton Kates and Eli Wade

L vs (2-3) Princeton, 50-46
Led by 9 points from Easton Kates

Record: 1-5

Top 5
1. UNC
2. Arizona
3. Auburn
4. Dayton
5. Kentucky

rjsuperfly66 06-03-2018 05:53 PM

Week 4 2018 Results

W vs (5-1) East Tennessee St, 61-47
Led by 10 points from Reilly Reid and Zach Davis

W at (5-2) Wright St, 54-52
Led by 10 points from Reilly Reid

Record: 3-5

Top 5
1. UNC
2. Arizona
3. Auburn
4. Dayton
5. Kentucky

Coach Cox Comments:
"It was nice to put a good couple of wins together after a tough few weeks. I knew going into this season that we might struggle at times, but if these guys keep working, we'll hopefully see a great payoff in the future."