Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Looking to Improve My Defensive Play Calling (/forums/showthread.php?t=934787)

Billy4NY 07-11-2018 05:04 PM

Looking to Improve My Defensive Play Calling

Note: I tried searching the forum for something covering this, but was not successful. If there is a thread, link, or document that already exists please point me in that direction and feel free to close this thread.

I am an offline CFM solo player and love getting through several seasons each year. However, no matter how hard I try, I find myself running the same 5-8 defensive plays against the CPU (not including goal line and special teams formations). This kind of makes defense stale for me over time and I am looking for some recommendations on 3 easy steps on how to diversify my play call, while still seeing success on the field. For me, it is a balance between true sim football with a wide range of plays and success against the CPU via calling the same plays over and over again. I am sure some of you can relate and I would appreciate any tips before M19 graces us with its release

FYI - I plan on using the Atlanta Falcons this year.

solmon 07-11-2018 05:49 PM

Re: Looking to Improve My Defensive Play Calling

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy4NY (Post 2049422609)
Note: I tried searching the forum for something covering this, but was not successful. If there is a thread, link, or document that already exists please point me in that direction and feel free to close this thread.

I am an offline CFM solo player and love getting through several seasons each year. However, no matter how hard I try, I find myself running the same 5-8 defensive plays against the CPU (not including goal line and special teams formations). This kind of makes defense stale for me over time and I am looking for some recommendations on 3 easy steps on how to diversify my play call, while still seeing success on the field. For me, it is a balance between true sim football with a wide range of plays and success against the CPU via calling the same plays over and over again. I am sure some of you can relate and I would appreciate any tips before M19 graces us with its release

I think it's about identifying the main defensive concept you want to apply and then 1) run those types of plays across various formations and 2) run plays that play off of those formations (almost like play action on offense)

Example: you may run a Cover 3 scheme in various formations and then use several zone blitzes from those same formations. Additionally, the team's that use most zone are approx 50%, so you'll need to run man concepts too.

stinkubus 07-11-2018 05:50 PM

Learn how to take advantage of defensive hot routes. Every single defensive play call can be morphed into thousands of different defenses using hot routes. Stop thinking of defensive play calls in Madden as self contained entities and start thinking of them as templates around which you can build your defense.

I could call 3-4 Odd Crossfire 3 all game and never show you the same defense twice. I can turn it into cover 3 buzz, cover 3 sky, cover 2 invert, Tampa 2, or any number of split field and hybrid man/zone coverages all while maintaining a strong pass rush. If I want to lay off the pass rush I've got two MLBs who can be added to coverage or used to spy a mobile QB.

I don't do this in practice, as Crossfire's run fits are super exploitable, but learning how to create defenses rather than relying on just what EA gives you in the playbooks is how you create depth on that side of the ball.

BChristensen75 07-11-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy4NY (Post 2049422609)

Find a scheme you look on defense. Are you a 43 guy, a 34 guy, or like a hybrid approach. Then go out and determine which players work in what positions. So you then have your fronts and players set up.

Then decide if you want to be a zone blitz heavy team. A 1 high team, a 2 high team, then blend it in. If you run a lot of c3 there is c3 sky, cloud, match, Mable, hard flat, and then mix in the press looks and c1. If you’re a 2 high team, mix in 2man, c2, c4, c6, etc.

Overall the game probably has 15 total different play concepts so it’s semi limited, but the key is mixing up the fronts/looks/personnel groupings, and “showing” different converses

RogueHominid 07-11-2018 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkubus (Post 2049422662)
Learn how to take advantage of defensive hot routes. Every single defensive play call can be morphed into thousands of different defenses using hot routes. Stop thinking of defensive play calls in Madden as self contained entities and start thinking of them as templates around which you can build your defense.

I could call 3-4 Odd Crossfire 3 all game and never show you the same defense twice. I can turn it into cover 3 buzz, cover 3 sky, cover 2 invert, Tampa 2, or any number of split field and hybrid man/zone coverages all while maintaining a strong pass rush. If I want to lay off the pass rush I've got two MLBs who can be added to coverage or used to spy a mobile QB.

I don't do this in practice, as Crossfire's run fits are super exploitable, but learning how to create defenses rather than relying on just what EA gives you in the playbooks is how you create depth on that side of the ball.

Can you offer a walk through on a couple of sample adjustments to create custom calls?

stinkubus 07-11-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trojan Man (Post 2049422795)
Can you offer a walk through on a couple of sample adjustments to create custom calls?

I'd be happy to. Is there a particular offensive play/formation you want help against?

RogueHominid 07-11-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkubus (Post 2049422800)
I'd be happy to. Is there a particular offensive play/formation you want help against?

I only play offline vs the CPU, and I use Sabo’s books, so I don’t face the meta, but I am interested in learning some cool modifications to stock coverages, so I’ll gladly take some of your favorite adjustments for particular situations.

I am interested in hybrid man/zone stuff, bracket coverage techniques, and good options inside the 5 for defending the quick slant and the back of the end zone drag.

I suppose defending bunch sets and trips on third and short to medium is also a thing I’d like to be better at. I see a decent amount of that from the CPU.

I’m also interested in how folks make the decision to go either C1/3 base or C2/4/6 base. I think this is a great thread concept.

BChristensen75 07-11-2018 08:06 PM

Unfortunately there aren’t any bracket coverages or cool/unique RZ defenses. Madden really lacks that stuff.

Best way to stop a slant/drag is to play hard flats, protect sticks, walk the safeties up, and put a DE in a spy so he drops back.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports