Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Where are the Jet Sweeps (/forums/showthread.php?t=935306)

Haze88 07-22-2018 01:04 PM

Where are the Jet Sweeps

Popping in NCAA14 I noticed just how robust the jet sweep game was. Nearly every 3WR shotgun/pistol set along with certain base forms had a jet sweep with a matching PA off it, some had a complementary dive play and some even had an option element and that's ignoring the flexbone offense entirely. Fast forward to Madden 18 and all of it is gone. Why? With all the stuff in Philly/KC and the 2 back stuff in NO with Kamara on rocket tosses and the like why has all of that increasingly left the game?

Godgers12 07-22-2018 01:50 PM

Re: Where are the Jet Sweeps

Madden has removed most trick plays, inexplicably. I remember how there use to be reverse passes and double passes, and the latest victim is the flea flicker. They didnt always work right, so in typical Madden fashion instead of fixing it they just removed it. The flea flicker actually did work as intended and I actually used it quite a bit in 17, if you got the pass off it was deadly. No idea why it was removed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

SincerelYourz 07-22-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haze88 (Post 2049435621)
Popping in NCAA14 I noticed just how robust the jet sweep game was. Nearly every 3WR shotgun/pistol set along with certain base forms had a jet sweep with a matching PA off it, some had a complementary dive play and some even had an option element and that's ignoring the flexbone offense entirely. Fast forward to Madden 18 and all of it is gone. Why? With all the stuff in Philly/KC and the 2 back stuff in NO with Kamara on rocket tosses and the like why has all of that increasingly left the game?

"if its in the game, its in the game"

SilverBullet19 07-22-2018 04:01 PM

I think they remove more and more trick plays because with how AI works, they don’t work true to life. As Godgers12 said, instead of making AI changes they scrapped the plays.

I can see why though. I imagine changing the AI to accommodate such plays in a more realistic manner would essentially mean wholesale changes

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Haze88 07-22-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBullet19 (Post 2049435788)
I think they remove more and more trick plays because with how AI works, they don’t work true to life. As Godgers12 said, instead of making AI changes they scrapped the plays.

I can see why though. I imagine changing the AI to accommodate such plays in a more realistic manner would essentially mean wholesale changes

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Couldn't they react like on play actions? Ultimately that's what trick plays are. Unless you meant on offense

Cnada 07-22-2018 06:20 PM

A great article floating around says that the AI defence can only do run or pass plays. Hence no RPO. Now I get that a sweep is just a run play but point is unless players think individually madden cant handle much which is really sad.

I even think PAs dont work properly, apart from the LBs being sucked in and delay a sack theirs so much more to it

Would really like to see special plays come back, even the sweep im a big fan of but players need miss a step and also when playing as a LB going for the sweep or counter needs to be an important risk-reward.
Also doing three sweeps to the right in a game, when you do counter should have a payoff type thing, needs much more meta to playcalling otherwise you cant set up a play like that

Godgers12 07-22-2018 06:36 PM

I remember how PAs use to actually suck the safties up. Double moves on the outside are also useless as the DBs always stay back. If I run 3 or 4 come back routes then that WR does a double move the CB covering him should bite on it depending on his awr/prc, and if you decide to keep running comebacks with that WR eventually the CB would be all over it.

It should be more of a chess game. If you're facing a young CB you can try toying with him by running a series of double moves and comebacks. Also you should be able to counter this by playing over the top or underneath. Playing underneath on a double move would almost certainly mean the CB would bite leaving the WR wide open or 1 on 1 with the safety, and over the top on comebacks would leave that open as well. Safties would also be impacted as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

Haze88 07-22-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cnada (Post 2049435974)
A great article floating around says that the AI defence can only do run or pass plays. Hence no RPO. Now I get that a sweep is just a run play but point is unless players think individually madden cant handle much which is really sad.

I even think PAs dont work properly, apart from the LBs being sucked in and delay a sack theirs so much more to it

Would really like to see special plays come back, even the sweep im a big fan of but players need miss a step and also when playing as a LB going for the sweep or counter needs to be an important risk-reward.
Also doing three sweeps to the right in a game, when you do counter should have a payoff type thing, needs much more meta to playcalling otherwise you cant set up a play like that

NCAA 14 has this too. They had link plays where if you ran certain plays enough you could run the changeup play at a bonus. I can't imagine publishing an article like you mentioned without shame. We can't program a game to a standard we had on inferior tech and are ok with that -_-