Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Strategy for consistent 60% completion percentage? (/forums/showthread.php?t=937105)

Grentthealien 08-17-2018 02:57 PM

Strategy for consistent 60% completion percentage?

Hey there this is my 4th Madden. I play offline on all pro with 15 minute quarters and in years past I never really had an issue with this but for whatever reason this year I am more often than not finishing with a below 60 completion passing percentage. This wouldn’t bother me too much if I wasn’t a big CFM player. I like to play most of my teams games and I aim to have realistic statistics so having some of the best QB’s in the game having a sub 60 cp isn’t in line with that.

What I’m looking for is a way to be more efficient with the ball whether it be through a progression of plays or something else. Do you guys have any tips or pointers for how I can achieve this in 19? Any help would be much appreciated:)

JasonForTheWin 08-17-2018 03:01 PM

Re: Strategy for consistent 60% completion percentage?

I have that I had to re-learn how to pass, basically.

In years past, I would wait for my guy to make is cut or break, and immediately hit the pass button. This led to multiple INT's and passes broken up this year.

I've found now, that if I wait 2-3 beats before I hit the pass button I have greater success.

xCoachDx 08-17-2018 03:01 PM

I’m a little confused, are you saying you usually complete less than 60% and need help getting it higher? Or usually complete over 60% and are needing help making it more difficult?

canes21 08-17-2018 03:19 PM

Practice. That's a given. Learn how to best recognize coverages presnap. Some are disguised well, but you can still narrow it down to 2 coverages it should be. Then learn to read the defense through to dropback. Read the safeties or maybe the slot or outside backer to figure out what it is. Know your routes for that play and know the coverage and you'll be good to go. At that point you'll be able to read your key and see where the defense tells you to throw the ball.

tanis38 08-17-2018 03:19 PM

I'd say hit up Practice mode and, well, practice on passing. Going into replay after a play and watching the defense in slow-motion so that you can break it down easier and see what reads you did right/wrong, etc., helps.

Grentthealien 08-17-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xCoachDx (Post 2049479603)
I’m a little confused, are you saying you usually complete less than 60% and need help getting it higher? Or usually complete over 60% and are needing help making it more difficult?

Sorry for the confusion yes I’m saying I usually complete less than 60%. The last game I played I completed only 56% of my passes.

xCoachDx 08-17-2018 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xCoachDx (Post 2049479603)

“More often than not.” Misread that part. Don’t be on OS at work!

Practice mode is your friend. I used to just pick random pass play vs a random defense and run play after play.

Use motion to determine whether or not the defense is in man or zone. If the defender follows him all the away across the field, it’s probably man coverage. If he stops and a different defender matches up with him, it’s probably some.

Get used to using high and low pass. High pass is good for throwing over the super LB’s that make it feel like NCAA 12 again. Low pass is great on short yard situations when your WR is open beyond the first down marker and you don’t want a defender knocking the ball loose.

Don’t be afraid to throw the ball away, or even take a sack. If nobody is open, zero yards or even losing 5 yards is better than throwing a pick!

adembroski 08-18-2018 01:25 PM

1st- shorten your passing game. A huge chunk of NFL completions are under 10 yards and Madden players typically are more aggressive. The improved coverage means you need to use your checkdowns more often than in years past.

2nd- know your presnap ritual. Do it every time. Identify the shell, the front, verify the correct player is the MIKE or correct it (usually the 2nd in-the-box player from the weak side, but the real definition is whichever rush threat is not accounted for by the backfield blockers or a hot route). Have a progression in mind before you snap the ball.

3rd- No matter what, 1 potential rusher is unaccounted for by the blocking scheme. Know who that is, if he comes, break off your drop at 3 and exploit him.

4th- Know your timing and throw on time. If you throw too late it will often be tipped or picked. The primary receiver usually timed to come open a beat after the end of the drop. Get a sense of the drop rhythm... 5 step drop = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, a beat, throw. 2nd receiver is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, beat, beat, throw. 3rd is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, beat, beat, evade, throw. These are built into the play design.

5th- practice "throwing open." It's an art, and it's difficult to master. Anticipate where the throw is going and lead your receiver into space. Get to know the shoulder buttons to throw to a spot. Im awful at this:(