Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   OOTP Baseball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=632)
-   -   Quick question about OOTP (/forums/showthread.php?t=947284)

billyo 02-20-2019 04:12 PM

Quick question about OOTP

I want fun AND good simulation. I have been reading about all the PC baseball games. Is this the best on the market? Do you guys play anything in addition to OOTP?

Unlucky 13 02-20-2019 04:28 PM

Re: Quick question about OOTP

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyo (Post 2049697627)
I want fun AND good simulation. I have been reading about all the PC baseball games. Is this the best on the market? Do you guys play anything in addition to OOTP?

I've recently started checking into the game myself. I only play offline single player franchise mode in sports games, and I fear that The Show is basically going to ignore those features going forward. I want a deep owner/GM mode more than anything.

saintrules 02-20-2019 04:39 PM

Before buying OOTP I was a long time MLB The Show player. I started with 2005 and bought the game on and off till MLB The Show 17, as well as playing any major sports game (Madden/2K/etc) under the sun. I never play online, come to think of it, I think the last online match I played was Madden 2009 for a random head to head in which the other user lagged out. I am strictly, 100%, offline franchise.

I decided to sell my PS4 and unsurprisingly regretted not having a platform to play baseball on in the Summer months.

A couple of users on these forms pushed OOTP in a few of their posts and I decided to get it just to see what all the fuss was about. What I ended up finding was one of the best built sports video games I have ever seen, even with being (mostly) a text based sim. Whether you're a casual MLB fan or the deepest most analytical fan out there, you're going to find something extremely fun to do in OOTP. One of the biggest features for me is the on-the-field action which I think was a feature they added within the last couple of games. Being able to physically see a player hit a pitched ball makes a world of difference for me.

It looks like a pretty intimating platform if you just YouTube videos on it, but once you get into it, things clear up. I'm still finding more and more things about the game as I haven't spent an enormous amount of time in it, but I have the general gist down pat.

I'm not downing any bit of MLB The Show as I think it's an incredible game in it's own right, but comparatively, The Show could never replicate baseball like OOTP does. If OOTP had a football and basketball game, I'd never buy 2K or Madden again.

saintrules 02-20-2019 04:48 PM

Here's a good tip:

There's a dumbed down version of the game on the app store from OOTP for a few bucks, it's the perfect thing to get to see if you like a text based sim. It's actually a really fun app and to be quite frank, it gets pretty in depth with League News etc. I'd try it before you delve into OOTP or at least get it until OOTP 20 comes out.

KBLover 02-20-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyo (Post 2049697627)

If you find team building and managing virtual people as much as virtual lineups fun, then you'll be fine with OOTP.

There's a lot to do, there's a lot of ways to create a universe for yourself.

Like someone on the OOTP boards put it - this game is a baseball simulator, not just a MLB simulator.

It, of course, can do a pretty good job of giving up MLB-style numbers and such, but eventually, the league will ebb and flow along its own course due to various things like talent fluctuations, both of existing players, developing prospects, and incoming talent.

For example, there was a stretch in my Angels save, currently in 2043, where extra base hits were THE thing and just about every hitter coming in was huge on them and base running - needless to say, doubles and triples skyrocketed for a while - the all-time single-season doubles mark fell, repeatedly, and steals are still in something of a revival.

The XBH have calmed back down to more usual levels (though still on the high side), but now the NL is an a dead-ball era and Japanese players are everywhere (I called it the "Japanese Invasion" when it happened lol).

You have some control over this kind of thing. You can set how much international players come in, where they come from, where "hidden players" can be found, what offseason "owner meetings" and "collective bargaining" changes can take place (for example, DL time is 12-days, service time is 8 years until FA now, you can get expansion, etc.).

You can decide if you want full-blown international leagues in your save and their players having the change to interact with your league (and international doesn't just mean outside-USA - you can always manage a NPB team or create a league based in another nation, making USA players the "foreigners"). You can set up feeder leauges like a college system that will produce the draftee for your amateur drafts, etc.

I love that organic changes so I leave all that on as I want to be a participant, not a god, of my world, but you have the freedom to turn all that off and do it yourself based on your own created storyline for your world.

And if you need to see action, there is a simplified, though useful, animations engine that plays out the results per PA. Taking control is limited to being the manager and base coaches, basically, so you call the strategies, make decisions (game will pause and ask: "do you send the runner around third?", for example), make personnel moves, put on signs, etc.

Only thing complete absent from OOTP is taking player-level control like the typical console/action-based sports game.

That's about the long and short of it from my view. Think you might find it fun? Give the game a shot!

billyo 02-21-2019 09:02 AM

Thanks everyone, I am going to give OOTP a try.

WaitTilNextYear 02-21-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyo (Post 2049698215)
Thanks everyone, I am going to give OOTP a try.

Good call. Give it some time to sink in also. Rome wasn't built in a day. lol. I starting playing OOTP a little over 5 years ago and am still tweaking things.

billyo 02-22-2019 11:39 AM

Where do I check to make sure I have all the updates for 19?

Just picked up and started an all time Braves team and was surprised that Dale Murphy and Lew Burdette was not on there.

KBLover 02-22-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyo (Post 2049699287)
Where do I check to make sure I have all the updates for 19?

Just picked up and started an all time Braves team and was surprised that Dale Murphy and Lew Burdette was not on there.

If you got it on Steam, you don't have to worry about that. Steam will do what it does for all games (queue/start updates as they are pushed out).

Otherwise:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...lay.php?f=3935

Patches are stickied and you can check the last version against your version of the game.

Unlucky 13 02-22-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBLover (Post 2049699665)
If you got it on Steam, you don't have to worry about that. Steam will do what it does for all games (queue/start updates as they are pushed out).

Otherwise:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...lay.php?f=3935

Patches are stickied and you can check the last version against your version of the game.

Does that mean that there's no need to wait for the new version to come out, like we would for The Show or Madden?

WaitTilNextYear 02-22-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlucky 13 (Post 2049699734)
Does that mean that there's no need to wait for the new version to come out, like we would for The Show or Madden?

I'm not 100% sure I understand the question, but let me take a crack anyway...

If you are talking about updating a current game with patches, then how you do this or if it happens automatically depends on whether you have the Steam version or e-Sellerate or App Store-- and whether it's PC or Mac--all that makes the actual procedure a bit different. For example, I have a PC and the e-Sellerate version purchased directly from OOTP (not through Steam) and whenever an update is available, the game prompts me about that when I open the program. Then I go to the OOTP developments forum and find the appropriate download link, re-download the game, re-install and that's that.

Most of the settings that you input into your game (saved games, artwork, menu options, mods, game settings) will not be affected at all when a new version/patch is installed. Some small things (for example, in-game camera views) are overwritten when an update is installed. You can make backup files for certain things if you are worried about anything getting messed up. Some changes that come with a patch/update do require that you start a new save for those specific changes to take effect--a new roster update is a good example of something that wouldn't be implemented into a save already in progress. If there are changes that require a new save game, that will noted be somewhere in the patch notes.

billyo 02-25-2019 01:25 PM

Guys, I downloaded it instead of getting off steam. 1. How do I get updates?
2. When the new game comes out, would you recommend steam? 3. Could I still carryover saved data if I switch to steam from a downloaded version?

Probable dumb questions, but I don't know the answers.

WaitTilNextYear 02-25-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyo (Post 2049701873)
2. When the new game comes out, would you recommend steam? 3. Could I still carryover saved data if I switch to steam from a downloaded version?

1. On loading, the game will prompt you when a new update is ready and you can click on the link or otherwise go to OOTP developments forum to find the download link.

2. Can't say...never bought it from Steam.

3. Steam or direct versions wouldn't affect that. The Steam or direct from OOTP basically just controls how you get your updates and whether you're tied in through Steam or not. All of your files will be generated locally on your computer so you can just drag and drop various files into/out of different folders as needed.

itsmb8 02-26-2019 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyo (Post 2049701873)

Dont buy from steam. Buy directly from the OOTP site because they get 100% of the money that way. Other than that, just download updates from the OOTP site and all data is locally stored, steam is just a way of starting the game.

beastmode2013 02-28-2019 02:45 AM

Steam and Origin versions should update automatically, though the Origin version tends to lag behind on updates by a couple days normally.

If you like baseball and/or very, very deep management, do no hesitate picking this up. Optional "Ultimate Team" mode is available as well. HIGHLY moddale and customization is virtually limitless. The dev team even frequently publishes updated seasons/rosters throughout the regular season i.e. all-star break and playoffs. OOTP 20 is out in about a month for around $15 more than 19, if you want to wait a bit for an even more polished product.

Mauer4MVP 02-28-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmb8 (Post 2049702528)
Dont buy from steam. Buy directly from the OOTP site because they get 100% of the money that way. Other than that, just download updates from the OOTP site and all data is locally stored, steam is just a way of starting the game.

The creators have said they like it either way because the more purchases on steam the more likely they are to get noticed by other steam users. They write it off as essentially an advertising cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Operation Sports mobile app

Mauer4MVP 02-28-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastmode2013 (Post 2049704578)
Steam and Origin versions should update automatically, though the Origin version tends to lag behind on updates by a couple days normally.

If you like baseball and/or very, very deep management, do no hesitate picking this up. Optional "Ultimate Team" mode is available as well. HIGHLY moddale and customization is virtually limitless. The dev team even frequently publishes updated seasons/rosters throughout the regular season i.e. all-star break and playoffs. OOTP 20 is out in about a month for around $15 more than 19, if you want to wait a bit for an even more polished product.

I also think you can make it as in depth as you want. Want to evaluate players just on stats? Turn off ratings. Want ratings but dont want exact? You can adjust that.

Automate minor league assignments, signings, etc.

I'm somewhere in the middle.

Nothing beats a night of OOTP and baseball on the TV in the summer.

WaitTilNextYear 02-28-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP (Post 2049704861)
The creators have said they like it either way because the more purchases on steam the more likely they are to get noticed by other steam users. They write it off as essentially an advertising cost.

True. They are always lobbying for people that do purchase on Steam to leave a positive review.

Bruin26 03-08-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintrules (Post 2049697659)
If OOTP had a football and basketball game, I'd never buy 2K or Madden again.

I believe they have a football game they are developing now.

potsey7 03-11-2019 11:08 PM

[quote=Mauer4MVP;2049704862]I also think you can make it as in depth as you want. Want to evaluate players just on stats? Turn off ratings. Want ratings but dont want exact? You can adjust that.

Automate minor league assignments, signings, etc.

I'm somewhere in the middle.

Nothing beats a night of OOTP and baseball on the TV in the summer.

This!!! You can trust this! If you've never done it you are missing out!

rkocjay 03-12-2019 08:59 AM

Last year's was my first time playing this series and I do not regret it at all. I was always against games like this because I thought they would be boring. Now I can really play games with actual gameplay and I feel myself shifting more together Sim games like this.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Operation Sports mobile app

billyo 03-13-2019 10:17 AM

Well I purchased OOTP a month ago and so far have enjoyed what I have seen. I am playing as the Dodger greats and love it. I haven't pre-ordered and may play this one a season, before buying the new game. Any reason I should go ahead and purchase the new game?

With the Show turning its back pretty much on offline franchise players, it made the decision an easy one and will be a fun transition.

Look forward to interacting with you guys and maybe asking a few too many questions.

WaitTilNextYear 03-13-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyo (Post 2049716512)
Well I purchased OOTP a month ago and so far have enjoyed what I have seen. I am playing as the Dodger greats and love it. I haven't pre-ordered and may play this one a season, before buying the new game. Any reason I should go ahead and purchase the new game?

With the Show turning its back pretty much on offline franchise players, it made the decision an easy one and will be a fun transition.

Look forward to interacting with you guys and maybe asking a few too many questions.

Check this thread out and see what you think...

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...arch-22nd.html

humairashah 05-08-2019 08:25 AM

Will discuss about it later.