Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   The Seven Deadly Sins of the Jordan Rec Center in NBA 2K19 (/forums/showthread.php?t=947654)

Steve_OS 02-28-2019 09:45 PM

The Seven Deadly Sins of the Jordan Rec Center in NBA 2K19

For NBA 2K19 players who prefer their basketball to be a little more realistic than the...

Written By: Kevin Scott

Click here to view the article.

ItchyNscratchy 02-28-2019 10:17 PM

Re: The Seven Deadly Sins of the Jordan Rec Center in NBA 2K19

The only sin here is that you guys say Jordan Rec Center is the most played sim for 5v5 but its broken af. The matchmaking is trash. Point guards cant call plays, every fastbreak is a 3 point shot attempt. Some guy can have 11 turnovers and still be in the game with a B- grade. Everything is a step backwards instead of fowards.

sactown_13 03-01-2019 12:35 AM

Should do this type of article on the game mode itself and how it can be improved.*

Bulletproof86 03-01-2019 02:46 AM

Best quote:
HOW TO AVOID LUST: Keep your Pro Am teams in Pro Am. Don’t break a player’s spirit. Win the right way.

Its always the same playing with randoms amateur 1 with low overall against super Elite Teams.
That makes FUN, NOT!!!!!!!!!

3ShowTime2 03-01-2019 03:28 AM

So true in every way...:(

howardphillips214 03-01-2019 03:57 AM

The main thing about Rec is defense and ball movement. If you can control the paint on defense and at least keep bodies on shooters you can beat most teams in the JRC. Unfortunately if you play one squad like that, you've played a thousand. It's always the same. One or two shooters out of 4 on the foor are a threat from half court. And it's not like, oh he might make a few. It's he might get 60 points on 20 shots from that spot if he's wide. That's just astronomical in basketball terms. That's like being able to throw hail Mary after hail Mary on madden and getting a touchdown every time. In a 5 minute quarter game in madden you could score 100 points. That's what 100 points in 5 minute quarters in 2k REALLY IS.

Think about this... I've been on several teams that have scored 100 points in JRC. I've done it multiple times in a night. I've been on the other end of that too. In none of those games have they been close. It takes a very large gap in turn overs, rebounds, and fast break points. You gotta get enough stops to score that many points. All the close games I've won or lost had good and bad quarters. That's when the game is intense, even in losses it can be enjoyable. That's why teams with good records will quit, so they can take the L and keep beating up on randoms.

But the main culprits in my lack of enjoyment in this mode are the amount at which turn overs happen, even if I'm the beneficiary. I think it's a very sloppy game and its ugly to watch. Ball handlers with good ratings feel sluggish.. You have to have the super combo dribble moves equipped to bang on that right stick like it's your little brother. All the while yelling at your mom "FIVE MORE MINUTES!"

The thing that bothers me is anyone can spend 50 dollars, watch a YouTube video and instantly be a competitive player. They'll tell you what build to make, what animations to equip, they'll show you how you can spam this move this many times to get this exact percentage at an ankle breaker. It's really just a garbage mode.

I miss the days when I could pick up a stick and have more than a fighting chance at the game simply because I have the mind to make the right plays most of the time. My unselfishness was seen as a benefit to the team and ive always had plenty of people to run with because of that.

But simply due to the regression in player diversity almost exclusively, most of those players are not playing anymore.

2 years ago when they introduced the sharp i said everyone was going to make one. And they were by and far the most popular. But I still saw and ran with several different archetypes that year. In 18 most players I knew had at least one sharp and another "pet" player.

This year? Its either lockdown, sharp, or glass cleaner. Or some variation of that. If you dont have those elements to your game you're not only playing against the meta, you're simply not winning. Period.

And before you guys try and say shot creator.... Its either sharp first or secondary on the wings with shot creators. Hardly with good teams will you see a slasher secondary even. Essentially slashers are the worst build this year and that really hurts.

I've now maxed my slots for characters on this game and my center is the most fun.

For the way i play, I'm left with defense and rebounding as the best fundamental skills I own that benefits my team the most. Who knew? I was mostly a PG since 2k14. But i always wanted to play like John Wall. Play good defense, and penetrate and dish. Those mechanics are just the worst this year.

Korrupted 03-01-2019 07:43 AM

Solid article but unfortunately this will go in one ear and out the other of most of the players that play JRC. A lot of people don't understand fundamental basketball and it shows.

Keith01 03-01-2019 09:00 AM

Add AVOID BROADCAST CAM to the list

"HOW TO AVOID SLOTH: Be active. Move around to get open or set screens on offense. Stick to your man on defense."

Stick to your man but understand help defense / rotating. Sick of players chasing their 'who to guard' arrow like it's a dog chasing a toy instead of paying attention to what's happening as a team.

CujoMatty 03-01-2019 03:01 PM

I dunno if it’s wrath but I had a teammate berate me *after a loss on PSN messenger relentlessly after a loss. *He just clearly wasn’t going to be able to sleep at night unless he made sure I knew how bad I was.*

Pokes404 03-01-2019 05:06 PM

"The opposite of those trying to do too much on the court are players who don’t really do much of anything at all. On offense, you’ll typically find them lazing around in the corner while their defender sticks to them like glue, not doing a lick to try and get themselves or anyone else on your team open.

HOW TO AVOID SLOTH: Be active. Move around to get open or set screens on offense. Stick to your man on defense."

Honestly, I think I'd rather have a sloth on offense than someone who is constantly moving/cutting without any kind of purpose. Those players get the bigs doubled, and clog the lane for the slashers, because they're constantly cutting to the rim. They take away open shots for others because they'll inevitably bring their defender into a teammate who otherwise would've had an open look. Some feel the need to set a ball screen every ... single ... trip down the floor. The ones who like to move a lot but don't have any real feel for it typically get in the way more than they help, in my experience.

Obviously, you want to find a happy medium between movement and "spacing the floor" on offense. However, if I had to choose between one extreme or the other, I'd take the sloth. Sure, he may just be standing in one spot 90% of the time on offense, but at least I know that he'll be standing in that spot and can plan accordingly.

ph33 03-01-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pokes404 (Post 2049706304)
Honestly, I think I'd rather have a sloth on offense than someone who is constantly moving/cutting without any kind of purpose. Those players get the bigs doubled, and clog the lane for the slashers, because they're constantly cutting to the rim. They take away open shots for others because they'll inevitably bring their defender into a teammate who otherwise would've had an open look. Some feel the need to set a ball screen every ... single ... trip down the floor. The ones who like to move a lot but don't have any real feel for it typically get in the way more than they help, in my experience.

Obviously, you want to find a happy medium between movement and "spacing the floor" on offense. However, if I had to choose between one extreme or the other, I'd take the sloth. Sure, he may just be standing in one spot 90% of the time on offense, but at least I know that he'll be standing in that spot and can plan accordingly.

Pretty much.

I just want people to react to what is happening on the floor, not what they *think* should be happening. But a lot of people take their myCareer tendencies into games with humans.

So many times when we go up the court, I'm the one non-shooter, and I see 2/3 others already setting a screen. So what's my option? Go to the corner, where of course I'm left open. That spot should be for someone else more efficient from there. People seem to be allergic to filling the weakside. I have a friend who has a post scorer, every single time he had an iso on the block, the other big man would just run to the basket expecting a cut pass. Way to let others do their thing!

Also, these people suck at setting screens. Instead of going to put a body on the defender, they just freaking set a screen 3 feet away from the guy where it's so easy to avoid. Do they expect the defender to just run right into it? So not only do they set a useless screen, but they're clogging up driving lanes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korrupted (Post 2049705824)
Solid article but unfortunately this will go in one ear and out the other of most of the players that play JRC. A lot of people don't understand fundamental basketball and it shows.

Do you ever do trivia?

Every time there's a basketball question, I'm truly astounded by how many people miss easy questions. Among the embarrassing things that 20% of the population hasn't gotten right:

1. What team did Dwight Howard play for as a rookie?
2. What player was 40 years old in 2014? (Choices were Nash, LeBron, Wade, and some other player who clearly wasn't that old)
3. What player did the Spurs trade for Kawhi Leonard on draft night?
4. On what team was Pau Gasol a rookie?

The fact that so many people miss easy things like that shows me so many of them clearly don't watch much pro ball.

dukebeatsuncagainn 03-02-2019 04:43 AM

Basketball games just aren't good. Random events based on attribute, with an illusion of skill.

All of them are the same. Back and forth gameplay, same thing over and over. And it all seemgly comes down to the game MAKING YOU MISS, to play outcomes based on numbers.

Sent from my cp3636a using Operation Sports mobile app

dukebeatsuncagainn 03-02-2019 04:48 AM

That and basketball culture is focused on egotistical, ball hogs, who constantly complain and point fingers at others. Only way they have fun is to literally ruin your day and make you not have fun. Add in a pay to win attribute based system and the maniuplation of kids thinking they can make their sham of a 'pro league' so they don't have to get a real job.

Yes. So much fun

The pay to win scam of esports is killing realism and simulation is sports games.

Sent from my cp3636a using Operation Sports mobile app

olajuwon34 03-02-2019 01:39 PM

This rec center is the epitome of what the 5 v 5 has become in these games now

KG5FromTheBean 03-04-2019 04:45 AM

If you are playing with randoms and miss your first few shots, you might as well quit. However, if you make your first few shots, you are Harden-like.

ph33 03-04-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG5FromTheBean (Post 2049708038)
If you are playing with randoms and miss your first few shots, you might as well quit. However, if you make your first few shots, you are Harden-like.

Lol, truth. And if the score starts out 2-8 with a sloppy start, start seeing people melt down by not getting back and flopping

Because apparently a 6 point lead is just insurmountable

Ragnar53 03-04-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph33 (Post 2049708193)
Lol, truth. And if the score starts out 2-8 with a sloppy start, start seeing people melt down by not getting back and flopping

That behavior kills me man. And what's even funnier is that those same dudes quit, then you realize they were the one's not playing defense in the first place.

All it takes is 2 stops, then easy buckets on the ensuing fastbreak opportunities.

I've watched many a team pro-am game. They score barely 1/4 of their points in the halfcourt. 3/4ths of the points are scored on the fastbreak or secondary fastbreak (everybody is back, but the offensive big man is trailing and in perfect position for a screen and roll/pop to get the defense shifting again).

MrWrestling3 03-04-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph33 (Post 2049708193)

There used to be saying..."Sports builds character"....IMO this also applies to a competitive activity such as online gaming as well.

That kind of behavior tells me all i need to know about the people I'm playing with,and why I'm not interested in playing with them again.

ph33 03-04-2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWrestling3 (Post 2049708591)
There used to be saying..."Sports builds character"....IMO this also applies to a competitive activity such as online gaming as well.

That kind of behavior tells me all i need to know about the people I'm playing with,and why I'm not interested in playing with them again.

Those kinds of people have probably never done team sports or team anything

Or maybe they did and got away with being an *******

Housh123 03-04-2019 10:05 PM

Rec is mostly fun. Definitely have to play with teammates tho. But ironically enough the times i have dropped 50, i was playing with randoms. That’s odd.

Rec and park are all about defense. If you can stop 3s you’ll compete against any team. Also I’d say you need a good center who doesn’t give up easy dunks. I played with a guy so worthless on D it was sad. How you getting Joel Embiid’ed by a damn pure rim protector and both y’all 7 foot 3? Dudes are really bad at this game

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

MrWrestling3 03-05-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph33 (Post 2049708773)
Those kinds of people have probably never done team sports or team anything

Or maybe they did and got away with being an *******

That's kind of my point; if you can't manage something as simple as playing a game without rage quitting or throwing a hissy fit the moment it doesn't go 100% your way, then you're not really someone I want to waste my attention on in the first place.

splashmountain 03-05-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korrupted (Post 2049705824)

It's because to be successful at 2k19 you dont need to truly understand fundamental basketball. Just go on youtube research the best archetypes to use and the best animations to equip for them. thats it.

splashmountain 03-05-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Housh123 (Post 2049708977)
Rec is mostly fun. Definitely have to play with teammates tho. But ironically enough the times i have dropped 50, i was playing with randoms. That’s odd.

Rec and park are all about defense. If you can stop 3s you’ll compete against any team. Also I’d say you need a good center who doesn’t give up easy dunks. I played with a guy so worthless on D it was sad. How you getting Joel Embiid’ed by a damn pure rim protector and both y’all 7 foot 3? Dudes are really bad at this game

what was the other guy rated? vs what was your teammate rated? what was your teammates arch? what was his defensive stopper badge on at the time?

Playing defense with a gold or better defensive stopper badge as a center is EASY. just stand there. the force field will do all the work for you.

MrWrestling3 03-05-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splashmountain (Post 2049709395)
It's because to be successful at 2k19 you dont need to truly understand fundamental basketball. Just go on youtube research the best archetypes to use and the best animations to equip for them. thats it.

That's been something was has bothered me for years, the game leans too heavily on video game mechanics, and not enough on basketball IQ.

Rockie_Fresh88 03-05-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Housh123 (Post 2049708977)

Rec isn’t fun for me at all win or lose . Too much unbalanced between the in and out game .

I don’t even see the point of rim protectors over glass cleaners in rec.

Ragnar53 03-05-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88 (Post 2049709933)
Rec isn’t fun for me at all win or lose . Too much unbalanced between the in and out game .

It's a lot easier to force misses at the rim with a rim protector than with even a glass cleaner (though they are second, with Pure Post's being a distant 3rd). It's a quite noticeable difference. The difference goes from you need a clear lane to, that man can't be anywhere near the paint.

ph33 03-05-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

I'd rather have a pure rim over pure glass tbh

Glass might get some cheesy fly to the ball nonsense, but rim protectors really mess with people when they drive in, I'll take that all game over 2-3 BS rebounds

Pls stay Rockie ;_;

Ragnar53 03-05-2019 07:54 PM

Which reminds me. Or ya'll on PS4 or Xbox? Because I need people to run with.

TheFinalEvent97 03-05-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Rims can shoot better, which in 2K means 40%+ from 3.
EDIT: plus the ability to switch is valuable as well.

Rockie_Fresh88 03-05-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragnar53 (Post 2049709941)
It's a lot easier to force misses at the rim with a rim protector than with even a glass cleaner (though they are second, with Pure Post's being a distant 3rd). It's a quite noticeable difference. The difference goes from you need a clear lane to, that man can't be anywhere near the paint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph33 (Post 2049709944)
I'd rather have a pure rim over pure glass tbh

Glass might get some cheesy fly to the ball nonsense, but rim protectors really mess with people when they drive in, I'll take that all game over 2-3 BS rebounds

Pls stay Rockie ;_;

In the few games I’ve played lately I havent seen any drives lol just people raining threes

Rim protectors seem almost underutilized.

Man I’ve been feening for some basketball for the past few weeks I’m trying to deal
With it lol

tru11 03-06-2019 04:52 AM

make a 7`3 sharp rim protector and call it a day lol