Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Can you have silky smooth gameplay on 4k and HDR setting..YES (/forums/showthread.php?t=948633)

knich 03-23-2019 09:35 PM

Can you have silky smooth gameplay on 4k and HDR setting..YES

I won't have MLB19 until Tuesday so I can't comment on it. But I am playing MLB18 and can confirm that I am playing on the Sharpest setting (4k) and with HDR on my tv. And the game plays silky smooth and is photorealistic. For those having trouble getting good frame rates and photorealistic look, the problem isn't SDS so much as it is your tv. I have now played the game with these settings on two Samsung QLED 4k HDR tvs. I have played the game on the 2018 version (Q6F) and the 2019 ( Q60R). They are both amazing. I post this because if anyone is thinking the 4k is too choppy to upgrade their tv. I'm here to tell you IMO it is great and beautiful picture. Just make sure you set to auto game mode although it still plays beautifully with game mode off.

Blzer 03-23-2019 09:38 PM

Re: Can you have silky smooth gameplay on 4k and HDR setting..YES

I'm assuming you are using some form of frame interpolation?

In that case, I'm not a big fan of it for two reasons: 1) inconsistent look botching it up and providing some chops here and there plus incorrect interpolating at times; 2) maybe a little bit of lag along the way?

Is the smoothness at all rivaling "balanced" mode in its natural form, though? Because some people just aren't as picky about framerates as others.

QN_52 03-23-2019 09:42 PM

Posts like this are absolutely pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

XxRnSxX 03-23-2019 09:43 PM

This should be interesting, in my experience with 18, I tried the 4K and it truly looks great but the gameplay suffered compared to balance, the lag was pretty bad on 4K.

Drty_Windshield 03-23-2019 09:53 PM

Your TV makes no difference. Even if the PS4 Pro had top of the line hardware, HDMI is limited to 30fps at 4k. You would be hard pressed to find someone that knows what they're talking about that would say that 30fps is silky smooth.

Edit: I take that back, the PS4 Pro does in fact have HDMI 2.0, I thought it had HDMI 1.4 like the standard PS4. So it would come down to which version of HDMI your TV has. HDMI 2.0 can handle 2160p at 60hz. Also, I believe that the cable makes a difference too. The limiting factor is still the game though, 4k at 30fps.

knich 03-23-2019 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blzer (Post 2049725597)
I'm assuming you are using some form of frame interpolation?

In that case, I'm not a big fan of it for two reasons: 1) inconsistent look botching it up and providing some chops here and there plus incorrect interpolating at times; 2) maybe a little bit of lag along the way?

Is the smoothness at all rivaling "balanced" mode in its natural form, though? Because some people just aren't as picky about framerates as others.

I don't even know what that means. All I can tell you is until I purchased these tvs, I could not play the game at 4k setting. So I know the difference between a choppy game and a smooth one with my own eyes. Just like you could see with your own eyes how choppy the developer tourney stream was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by QN_52 (Post 2049725600)
Posts like this are absolutely pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Why do you say this? I was simply educating some who might be on the fence about getting a 4k tv for the show. There are posts on this forum that it is choppy and largely unplayable on 4k setting and I'm here to tell you it is not with the correct tv.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drty_Windshield (Post 2049725611)
Your TV makes no difference. Even if the PS4 Pro had top of the line hardware, HDMI is limited to 30fps at 4k. You would be hard pressed to find someone that knows what they're talking about that would say that 30fps is silky smooth.

Edit: I take that back, the PS4 Pro does in fact have HDMI 2.0, I thought it had HDMI 1.4 like the standard PS4. So it would come down to which version of HDMI your TV has. HDMI 2.0 can handle 2160p at 60hz. Also, I believe that the cable makes a difference too. The limiting factor is still the game though, 4k at 30fps.

I can only tell you that it is as smooth as any 60 fps ps4 pro game I have. Don't take my word go to a store that has the game and the tv and test it yourself.

Blzer 03-23-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knich (Post 2049725709)
I don't even know what that means. All I can tell you is until I purchased these tvs, I could not play the game at 4k setting. So I know the difference between a choppy game and a smooth one with my own eyes. Just like you could see with your own eyes how choppy the developer tourney stream was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by knich (Post 2049725709)
Why do you say this? I was simply educating some who might be on the fence about getting a 4k tv for the show. There are posts on this forum that it is choppy and largely unplayable on 4k setting and I'm here to tell you it is not with the correct tv.

Well, it's these two bits that lead me to believe we need a little more scientific analysis on this. If you don't know what frame interpolation is, then it gets a little difficult to judge the merits on which you speak regarding the information you've posted about.

To help out a little, frame interpolation is where your television creates frames between the actual frames that the image displays. It processes what the next frame will be with what frame was before it, and inserts it right in the middle of them. That's why there will always be at least 1/60th of a second of input lag when enabling something like this. Different companies call this different things though, like TruMotion, Auto Motion Plus, Motion Judder Canceller... basically, it's likely something with the word "motion" in it. Maybe not, though.

I have a hard time believing that it mimics/replicates natural 60 FPS, though. They always come with pitfalls of some sort. However, if it comes with the trade-off of 4K and HDR, to some it just might be worth it. In that case, it doesn't make this thread pointless, but I think there needs to be a little more advised direction before somebody just jumps out and unnecessarily buys this game or a TV because of your post.

Drty_Windshield 03-24-2019 12:03 AM

When it comes to the show, I can instantly tell the difference in fps between the faster mode and the 4k mode. That said... I don't know if you've ever experienced it or not but I have PC with a 8700k / 1080ti and a 144hz gsync monitor. I promise you in no way does any game running at 30fps feel smooth as butter. Are 30fps games playable?, sure they are and there's nothing wrong with that, but 60fps and up is a whole different ballgame when it comes to smoothness. I would rather play MLB The Show at 1080p 60fps than at 4k 30fps any day of the week.