Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   To the coders and programers - what would it take to program a more strategic cpu ai (/forums/showthread.php?t=951133)

feeq14 04-23-2019 09:29 AM

To the coders and programers - what would it take to program a more strategic cpu ai

Looking at the early scuttlebutt from twitter, it seems like Madden may do a little something to improve it's coach mode and (im praying) single player features.

I actually am ok with madden in terms of gameplay. There are plenty of moments that kill me and things that could be better of course, but overall, I can still have fun playing this game's franchise mode at times.

The thing that makes franchise mode wear out for me is when I feel like the cpu AI just isn't providing a challenge. I can make sliders that clean up the game's mechanics. CPU calls better plays this year, but it's still pretty weak overall. Most glaringly is that they don't make adjustments.

Like if I'm running down someone's throat, or hot routing a streak whenever I get a certain matchup, the computer never seems to adjust either in the moment or in their play calling. Once upon a time ( feel like the mid 2000s) It was clear that the cpu was psychic. Like they would line up heavily to where a run was called in unnatural ways. I posted a video about this in NCAA years ago) I don't want that, but I do want the chess game that makes Football so cerebral.

I figure if they are implementing coaches, then they have to have something like this in mind. How hard would it be to create a challenging playcalling/adjustment ai?

Cardot 04-23-2019 02:28 PM

Re: To the coders and programers - what would it take to program a more strategic cpu

I don't think this has ever been a priority for EA. I am a few years behind (still playing M25 and NCAA 14).....but in those versions, the CPU doesn't know how to call timeouts in some of the most straight forward and basic situations. So hard to imagine them getting to the point where the CPU could challenge a human strategically.