Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Other Football Games (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   XFL and 2K a Match Made in Heaven (/forums/showthread.php?t=952710)

Steve_OS 05-18-2019 03:00 PM

XFL and 2K a Match Made in Heaven

Ask anyone in the gaming community what the best football video game of all-time is, and...

Written By: Josh Houtz

Click here to view the article.

Agent89 05-18-2019 05:17 PM

I would be all for it if it was a true next-gen game graphically, and gameplay-wise. *For now, a robust fundamental experience would work just fine instead of a full feature set. *Scan the jerseys, players, stadiums, and make the next advancement of the APF 2K8 engine. *Then tie in the broadcast packages and start with a fresh commentary team.

mestevo 05-18-2019 09:55 PM

Re: XFL and 2K a Match Made in Heaven

I think this kind of idea will have more legitimate traction in 2-3 years once (if?) the XFL has established a long term position in the professional football landscape. Until then I don't see it being a worthwhile investment for either side.

redsox4evur 05-18-2019 10:43 PM

I'll say the same thing I did about 2K and the AAF. Why would/should 2K drop millions on a league that hasn't even run a single season (in this case really a game)? I see legitimately no reason 2K should even enter into discussions with Vince's Alpha Entertainment about the possibility of a football game at this time. If the league can survive for 4/5 years then yea we can have this conversation.

Bolt957 05-18-2019 10:47 PM

Too risky, the AAF didn't last as long as we hoped, being cut short mid-season, so what's to say that the XFL doesn't meet a similar conclusion. I'd rather see a NCAA Football 2K.

illwill10 05-18-2019 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mestevo (Post 2049786008)
I think this kind of idea will have more legitimate traction in 2-3 years once (if?) the XFL has established a long term position in the professional football landscape. Until then I don't see it being a worthwhile investment for either side.

Fully agree.

I don't see any developers investing into a XFL game unless it can prove it stay around long term. I'm sure Vince McMahon learned from the past stint and won't have same issues as AAF. XFL would have to be a phenomenal success for any developer to consider developing a game before XFL's 2nd season. But the earliest I would see a developer taking a chance is after 2 seasons.
I'm not sure how interested 2K would be in XFL. 2k sports seems like a company who will only develop/continue to develop a game if it is selling well enough. They dumped APF real quick. They discontinued Baseball and Hockey. They arent in soccer business. They dropped out of college sports after they weren't selling well. So XFL would need to have sustained success before 2k probably consider it. Since XFL doesn't want to be similar to NFL, they wouldn't be making a tradition football game. I wouldn't see 2k building engine for a football game unless it can be very profitable

illwill10 05-18-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt957 (Post 2049786041)
Too risky, the AAF didn't last as long as we hoped, being cut short mid-season, so what's to say that the XFL doesn't meet a similar conclusion. I'd rather see a NCAA Football 2K.

I don't see 2k wanting to jump into College Football. They dropped out after 2k3. If they really wanted to make a college football game, they would have after they lost the NFL license. The demand for a college Football game is higher now then it was. So whoever develops a college football game, should see good sale numbers. You'll get hardcore gamers who want another football game, collegiate athletes who want to play as themselves, and college football fans. NBA is 2k bread and butter. But can afford to devote resources elsewhere since game is solid enough. But I feel they are holding out for the NFL. I don't think they want to develop a new football game unless they feel it will be profitable and have sustained success. I don't think it would be as easy as using APF gameplay engine. So if they have to build a new football engine, they will most likely wait for NFL.

If 2k makes a college game, I think it would be CBB.

testorz 05-19-2019 09:43 AM

Even though it's been 13/14 years since the game came out, I still play NFL 2K5 even today and it's still a blast to play.