Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   CPU fielding decisions. (/forums/showthread.php?t=952751)

Gagnon39 05-19-2019 08:18 PM

CPU fielding decisions.

I've waited to make this post in order to get enough games in to determine if it's really an issue. And after 50+ games in franchise I can definitely say that the CPU fielding decisions needs to be tweaked. In particular their decision to go for a force out at second base both on bunts and double play situations.

I lead the league almost every single year in grounding into double plays. And this year, through 55 games I lead that category by 28. I have noticed that, this year especially, the CPU fielders are much more inclined to try for the force out at second, when really, they should take the out at first.

I've had multiple times when they went for the force out at second on a sacrifice bunt and the runner was safe at second. Which was good for me in regards to that particular situation, but it's just unrealistic and more often than not the fielders are making plays that they just don't 90% of the time.

I should have captured some video for this to prove my point here but another example was a play made by a third baseman, who fielded the ball right on the line that took him VERY far to his right, way out into foul territory. He fielded the ball to his right on the backhand, was probably 8-10 feet into foul territory, wheeled all in one motion off his back foot and throws a perfect strike to the second baseman for the force out. Could this happen? Yep. Would it 90% of the time? Absolutely not. Chances are 9/10 times the fielder plants his feet and tries to make a strong throw to first for the out.

Some will say, "well, he's a Major League third baseman," and they'd be correct. But it's just not realistic in regards to how often it happens.

Another example and BY FAR the leading cause of too many double plays is a ball hit deep into the hole between first and second. Second baseman fields the ball almost into right field, wheels and fires a strike to second. Again, does it and could it happen? Yeah. But it just happens far too often in The Show and leads to inflated GIDP numbers. Most of the time the fielder is taking the out at first on a ball hit deep into the hole.

Just thought I'd throw this out there in the off chance that SDS see's this and realizes they need to make some kind of AI tweak. It's been an issue in the game for years but for whatever reason this year seems especially bad about it. I've gotten to the point where I've considered turning into the other team on balls hit in those situations and making the CPU throw to first.

Rmiok222 05-19-2019 11:11 PM

Re: CPU fielding decisions.

I’ve bunted into a double play multiple times. Makes me wanna toss my controller out the window lol

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Ace2734 05-19-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmiok222 (Post 2049786798)
I’ve bunted into a double play multiple times. Makes me wanna toss my controller out the window lol

The only way I can sac bunt is to get a big lead and/or start the runner and that ends in disaster 9.5/10 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHodges57 05-20-2019 09:14 AM

I've had to resort to simming the at-bat when a bunt is called. It's the only way I can advance runners. (MoM mode franchise).

AstrosAllDay85 05-20-2019 09:44 AM

That used to drive me nuts but the last several sac bunts I’ve put down have worked as they’re supposed to, maybe coincidence 🤷🏻*♂️