Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   How Long do you Stick with Your Team? (/forums/showthread.php?t=954163)

ZN30 06-19-2019 03:05 PM

How Long do you Stick with Your Team?

I just started my 9th season as HC at West Virginia and am considering going to another school. In 8 seasons, I've won 3 ACC Titles and 1 National Championship and have 10+ wins each year. With respects to winning games, it's been a dominant run, but in terms of winning championships, it's still a challenge.

Nevertheless, I feel like it's getting a little stale--the excitement of building up the team and signing new recruiting classes has passed; recruiting pitches are generally maxed out; I beat up on the same 4-6 teams every year; and I've cycled through the uniform combinations.

This got me thinking--once you've reached the top level of your career progression (i.e., you're at a school that you're committed to building up and playing for National Championships, as opposed to a school you're using as a stepping stone to a better job), how long do you usually stay at that school before leaving for somewhere else, or no longer playing the dynasty?

Tuscaloosa 06-19-2019 05:00 PM

Re: How Long do you Stick with Your Team?

Funny thing, I'm at this point exactly, right now in my current dynasty. It took me 20 seasons at TCU to win my first Natty, and now I'm in Season 22, 2 wins away from a 3-peat. I did, though, want to enjoy the top for a while, since it took me so long to get there. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that some of those years on the way up were excruciating to get through. I was almost fired, twice. My worst season was a 5-7. So, like I said, it was a long journey with sweet victory at the end, but now I'm starting to get that same old feeling and I really can't decide where to go from here. Timely thread.

canes21 06-19-2019 05:09 PM

Whatever I feel is realistic. I try to make the game difficult enough to keep me from really creating dynasties that win 5 titles in 8 years unless something magical really happened. I also don't ever go to a bad school just to build them up because I don't ever think a coach coming off of 3 straight titles at a P5 school would jump ship to the worst P5 school in the nation. That's just me, though. If I make my way to a good P5 school then I stay there as long as possible while trying to ensure the game is difficult enough every season is a challenge. If it does ever get stale I either start a new dynasty or create a new coach and let the successful one become CPU controller and let their career go however.

Tuscaloosa 06-19-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canes21 (Post 2049814076)
I also don't ever go to a bad school just to build them up because I don't ever think a coach coming off of 3 straight titles at a P5 school would jump ship to the worst P5 school in the nation.

I'm the same way on this one. Though, my only exception to the rule is when the super successful coach, after multiples titles and winning seasons, takes their expertise back to their alma mater to build them up. In this scenario, it's especially fun when they're a small school. That's my favorite story arc to carry out in a dynasty.

ZN30 06-19-2019 06:17 PM

I too have this cognitive dissonance when playing game. The worst example is with regard to realignment--I see a team like San Diego St or App State start to dominate in my dynasty and I spend hours thinking about moving them into a new conference, agonizing about how it would work IRL, ultimately abandoning the project with no changes, and starting the circle all over again at a later point in time. The funny thing is, my dynasty is already set in an anarchist world where schools are no longer state-funded and are private institutions. But, I suppose the alternate reality is not far enough from the real world and my mind is still trying to ground them in the modern state of things. But I digress.

With regard to coaches, I typically do the same thing where I create a new coach to satisfy the narrative. In this dynasty, my first coach won a 12 NCs in 20 years once getting the job with my teambuilder import. I created this new guy, had a few years overlap to transition, then changed the first guy's age, into a CPU, and forced him to retire. With my current coach, I've been imagining him as more of a egotistical guy who either clashes with the university or decides he's going to go do whatever he wants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canes21 (Post 2049814076)
Whatever I feel is realistic. I try to make the game difficult enough to keep me from really creating dynasties that win 5 titles in 8 years unless something magical really happened. I also don't ever go to a bad school just to build them up because I don't ever think a coach coming off of 3 straight titles at a P5 school would jump ship to the worst P5 school in the nation. That's just me, though. If I make my way to a good P5 school then I stay there as long as possible while trying to ensure the game is difficult enough every season is a challenge. If it does ever get stale I either start a new dynasty or create a new coach and let the successful one become CPU controller and let their career go however.

Tuscaloosa 06-19-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZN30 (Post 2049814135)
With my current coach, I've been imagining him as more of a egotistical guy who either clashes with the university or decides he's going to go do whatever he wants.

I like this, or he could always pull a good old fashioned :splat:Bobby Petrino:splat: and let a scandal be the reason that you have to leave.

ZN30 06-19-2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuscaloosa (Post 2049814166)
I like this, or he could always pull a good old fashioned :splat:Bobby Petrino:splat: and let a scandal be the reason that you have to leave.

Exactly. You can scale it based on the scale of the next job--a move from Florida to West Virginia was a clash with the AD. A move from West Virginia to Utah State is the result of getting drunk at a public event and sexually harassing the university president's wife.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

Skulletor 06-19-2019 07:32 PM

I actually create new coaches.

Sometimes they are former players who get an OC job with a guy from his coaches tree

Other times it’s new guys

Then sometimes I have progeny like “Brian Carter who’s 80 now has a 43 son, who’s going to play for a former OC”