Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   How do you guys honestly feel about light contest for standing near a player? (/forums/showthread.php?t=954313)

WarMMA 06-24-2019 01:13 PM

How do you guys honestly feel about light contest for standing near a player?

I was honestly bugged when they brought this back. Imo, a player should always have to actively contest, to be rewarded with a contest. Just standing by a player shouldn't grant you a contest. Especially in this game, where light contest can make you miss more often than not. For example in this gif below, Lebron does exactly that. He just runs up to PG, swipes at the ball, but just stands in front of him, without contesting. Result...PG nails the essentially open three and burns him. Now in 2k, that would cause you miss more often than not, cuz it counts as a light contest and even worse if the guy has defensive stopper badge like Lebron would have. I'm in no way saying we should hit every shot, but I feel like in those situations where a guy just stands near you like that and doesn't actually contest, coverage should be open.

Here's a vid of the full sequence with PG and Lebron if anyone wants see it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHmRykTdh8E

jeebs9 06-24-2019 04:02 PM

Re: How do you guys honestly feel about light contest for standing near a player?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarMMA (Post 2049818099)
I was honestly bugged when they brought this back. Imo, a player should always have to actively contest, to be rewarded with a contest. Just standing by a player shouldn't grant you a contest. Especially in this game, where light contest can make you miss more often than not. For example in this gif below, Lebron does exactly that. He just runs up to PG, swipes at the ball, but just stands in front of him, without contesting. Result...PG nails the essentially open three and burns him. Now in 2k, that would cause you miss more often than not, cuz it counts as a light contest and even worse if the guy has defensive stopper badge like Lebron would have. I'm in no way saying we should hit every shot, but I feel like in those situations where a guy just stands near you like that and doesn't actually contest, coverage should be open.

Here's a vid of the full sequence with PG and Lebron if anyone wants see it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHmRykTdh8E

I'm in different here. On one hand, it keeps the game from getting out of hand. And when I say that I mean. The open jumper shouldn't mean knockdown shot. I understand it's not the same thing. But let's say your one of those on-ball guys. Your switching around as the ball moves around. Yeah, you might have a player in position But don't have enough time to contest the jumper. So your kind of punished in that idea. Even though you're playing on-ball defense. But you have to give the defender some idea/weight that he is in the area. An open shot becomes earned.

But the video you posted is exactly the shots you can still hit in this year's game. In the past (since next-gen). You couldn't hit that shot because it was heavily contested. Which sucks. Star players should be able to hit jumpers like that.

jfsolo 06-24-2019 04:33 PM

Re: How do you guys honestly feel about light contest for standing near a player?

It should be open. They simply need to fix all the other weaknesses in the game that force them to apply the light contest band-aid to those shots.

ruxpinke 06-24-2019 04:41 PM

yea if open shots are going it a percentage that is way too high, thats the big issue. Fixes like this are only necessary because of that.

Dlee3 06-24-2019 06:29 PM

They changed the shot contest from day 1 because the contest is broken. In multiplayer games two people can not use the right stick for shot contest at the same time.

I'm sure 2k20 will be similar to 2k19 day 1.

WarMMA 06-24-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeebs9 (Post 2049818225)
I'm in different here. On one hand, it keeps the game from getting out of hand. And when I say that I mean. The open jumper shouldn't mean knockdown shot. I understand it's not the same thing. But let's say your one of those on-ball guys. Your switching around as the ball moves around. Yeah, you might have a player in position But don't have enough time to contest the jumper. So your kind of punished in that idea. Even though you're playing on-ball defense. But you have to give the defender some idea/weight that he is in the area. An open shot becomes earned.

But the video you posted is exactly the shots you can still hit in this year's game. In the past (since next-gen). You couldn't hit that shot because it was heavily contested. Which sucks. Star players should be able to hit jumpers like that.

Yh they can, but they'll miss more often than hit, no matter who's defending them. It's just not consistent with what we see in the NBA, unless you're using Curry or something. But I get what you're saying though...it can be punishing if you play full on ball d. Maybe 2k could just make our AI defenders a little more smarter playing defense. They can be pretty silly without defensive settings done, but that's another topic. I mean I understand why it was done, but it was pretty much just a band-aid fix like others are saying.

Kushmir 06-24-2019 07:40 PM

The best part of that video is something that 2K struggles with. Lebron swipes for the steal, misses and George gets a better shot as a result. In 2K users can miss but you can still contest the shot. 2 actions in that small space can't be a thing in PVP. You choose rock, paper or scissors not ROCK and PAPER....thats horrible balance.

I'm torn tho--Jeebs is right. The slight delay after constant switching often makes it hard to contest and offense is still sooooo far ahead of the defense...but on the other hand we need to establish a true skill gap.

I've always thought contesting should be fast/intuitive (right stick at the offensive player) but maybe there's a lane for the auto-contest as long as its the contest that affects the shot success the least...

I.E. If a light contest takes 20% off the success rate the auto-contest should be HALF that.

P.S. The AI defenders absolutely need to be much smarter. Too much of what we do on defense is spent mitigating their head-scratching decisions.

The Gym Reaper 06-24-2019 08:04 PM

It’s a bail out brought back by complainers