Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Entertainment & Technology (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Mobile Hotspot for Gaming (/forums/showthread.php?t=955121)

8 07-15-2019 04:50 PM

Mobile Hotspot for Gaming

Has anyone had any experience with using a mobile hotspot for gaming? Specifically for FPS's. I hear mostly bad things but they seem to come from people that don't use them. Only reason I ask Is I live out in the middle of nowhere and my ISP delivers about 3.5 Mbps. Thanks in advance for any info or insight.

daflyboys 07-15-2019 05:33 PM

Re: Mobile Hotspot for Gaming

I wouldn't..... can't imagine you'd get the push that you need.

8 07-15-2019 06:25 PM

For what it's worth I just ran a test using my phone as a hotspot and starting up Apex legends and looking at the server pings vs my ISP.

ISP
ping - 82
packet loss - 20%
Phone
ping - 69
packet loss - 0%

Not sure how accurate that is but those were the numbers.

daflyboys 07-15-2019 07:51 PM

I'm certainly no expert but I would think you'd want your pings to your particular address(es) as around mid-30s and lower ... ideally mid-20s and lower.

8 07-16-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daflyboys (Post 2049836490)
I'm certainly no expert but I would think you'd want your pings to your particular address(es) as around mid-30s and lower ... ideally mid-20s and lower.

LOL, trust me I know. The ping to my ISP is usually around that, but ping to the specific game servers varies. For instance my ping when playing BFV is usually in the 40's but on Apex it's usually upper 70's to lower 80's, not ideal but playable. When it jumps up closer to 100 I notice the difference right away though. Living out in the country has it's advantages but obviously high speed internet isn't one of them.

Gotmadskillzson 07-16-2019 02:25 PM

Your packet loss is high. I would call your ISP to check the lines. Something is either loose or frail and need to be replaced. Country area or not, your packet loss shouldn't be that high.