Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Madden 20 Custom Playbook & Game Plan Play Call Guide (/forums/showthread.php?t=957204)

edgevoice 08-24-2019 04:23 PM

Madden 20 Custom Playbook & Game Plan Play Call Guide

2 Attachment(s)
Perhaps Madden 20's best kept secret are the vast improvements made to both custom playbooks and game planning functions. While these features are not devoid of a few small issues, custom playbooks appear to be more stable. Also, it is finally possible to install a 30 play per-situation game plan. These plays will correctly appear according to the corresponding in-game situation beneath the "Run" and "Pass" play call windows.

If you have a little patience and are willing to put it some time, effort and creativity, you will have a playbook based on concepts that you like to run best. Also, by installing a situational game plan, you will no longer be relegated to "formation fumbling" through your playbook, trying to decide which play you want to call. I promise you that all of your hard work will pay off.

I will do my best to provide a clear and concise example of how I set up both my custom playbook and game plan. I've also attached a printed copy of both, to act as a guide for you to use while setting up your own files, based on your personal preferences. I have also recently uploaded my custom playbook, with game plan included. The file is called "Edge Offense" and my user name is "GridironGary88".

⦁ The easiest way I've found to build a custom playbook is to start with a base book that has the most formations that you want to use. That way, after you switch to this book in your CFM under coaching schemes, you will be able to best utilize the formation subs feature.

⦁ Select 1 play from a regular pro formation that you intend to keep and game plan it for all situations, except hail mary.

⦁ Delete all plays from formations you do not wish to keep, while leaving at least 1 play up from those that you plan on using. One play that is assigned to "safe situation" cannot be removed.

⦁ Build your playbook by selecting your pro formations first. From there, add your 3 and 4 receiver formations afterwards. That way, your custom playbook's formations will be organized by personnel groupings. See my attached file as an example. The first sub-formation you select will show up first under the main formation heading.

⦁ Set your audibles and save your book.

⦁ Go to practice mode and make sure everything is stable.

⦁ To install your game plan, head back to the custom playbook section and select your playbook for editing.

⦁ Make sure to select at least 30 plays per-situation or you will see some plays repeat themselves, while others may not show up at all. This isn't that daunting a task, since you will likely be copying situations together. Again, it might be helpful to look at the bottom of my attached game plan for an explanation as to how I set mine up. It is advisable to give the first 3 plays in each situation a 5 star rating and work downward a half star from there. That way, assuming you've written your gameplan down ahead of time, making future changes to your gameplan will be much easier, since you will be able to find the plays you want you change more quickly than if you'd simply left them all at the default 2 1/2 star rating given.

⦁ When you have finished, save your book.

⦁ Finally, re-open your playbook and go to the "My Playbook" section. Carefully delete all plays that you have not gameplanned and save that file as a new book. Obviously, do not overwrite your main playbook. In doing this, you will have a fully gameplanned playbook, along with a book that just contains only gameplanned plays. That way, you can go into practice mode and more easily find the plays you want to work on. Before playing a game, you can then decide whether or not you want your entire playbook or just your gameplanned plays along for the ride.

There are a few issues that I did run in to along the way with regards to custom playbooks, if you go back and add additional plays, audibles in those particular formations may scramble, even though it may show the correct audible at the custom playbook screen. I've found a fix. Go into practice mode and bring up your audibles. Write down the incorrect audibles showing and go back to the custom playbook screen and manually put the wrong ones in accordingly and save your book. Re-open your book and put back your audibles the way you want them, save your book again and you're all set.

Unfortunately, when calling plays from your game plan, the 4 minute play call bug still rears its ugly head at times during 2 minute situations. Sometimes, calling a timeout will remedy this. If not, you may have to briefly call your plays based on formations. Also, the last play you selected will sometimes not be available for the next down. Instead, you will see 1 play repeat itself in the last 3-row play call window and will be designated by "A" on XBox. I believe this is set up purposely in order to rotate plays so the CPU doesn't call the same play repeatedly.

I hope this guide was helpful to you and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have. Also, I would love to hear any suggestions and advice as to how you set up your own book.

TX.Leaguer 08-26-2019 11:59 PM

Re: Madden 20 Custom Playbook & Game Plan Play Call Guide

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgevoice (Post 2049882098)
Perhaps Madden 20's best kept secret are the vast improvements made to both custom playbooks and game planning functions.

Couldn’t agree more. I have a ton of fun creating a playbook and something I do every year before playing a single game. Honestly surprised there isn’t more talk on OS about playbooks. I’ve kept plays throughout the years and I like nerding out on finding new plays for rookies I draft in franchise. Just found a bubble RPO that puts my #2 slot WR in open space.

Quick question: when I go to edit my game plan, it doesn’t save my adjustments after I did my original 30 plays. I delete a play, add the play I want, then save. It always reverts back to the original game plan for some reason. Any ideas? I hate to completely recreate my masterpiece over a couple plays not available on the suggested play screen.

Slaticus 08-27-2019 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX.Leaguer (Post 2049884486)
Just found a bubble RPO that puts my #2 slot WR in open space.

Which one? I love the RPO game

edgevoice 08-27-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX.Leaguer (Post 2049884486)
Couldn’t agree more. I have a ton of fun creating a playbook and something I do every year before playing a single game. Honestly surprised there isn’t more talk on OS about playbooks. I’ve kept plays throughout the years and I like nerding out on finding new plays for rookies I draft in franchise. Just found a bubble RPO that puts my #2 slot WR in open space.

Quick question: when I go to edit my game plan, it doesn’t save my adjustments after I did my original 30 plays. I delete a play, add the play I want, then save. It always reverts back to the original game plan for some reason. Any ideas? I hate to completely recreate my masterpiece over a couple plays not available on the suggested play screen.

Like yourself, not only do I enjoy putting together game plans, it makes the game experience much better for me, since the plays I want to call in a given situation are now easily and quickly found. While it takes time and hard work, it ends up saving time in the long run.

Not surprised there isn't a lot of discussion here about both custom playbooks and game plan features. First, at this point in the cycle, most folks are busy voicing their concerns as to what is wrong with the game and what needs fixing. Happens every year and completely understandable. Also, EA touted the addition of RPO's quite heavily this year, but I heard no mention whatsoever of the stability improvements regarding custom playbooks and the fleshing out of both game planning and the play call screen itself. That did strike me as odd, since play calling is extremely important and EA took a major step here in the right direction. Finally, even folks who are interested in these features have been so frustrated over past bugs and limitations that they have simply given up and gone back to calling plays by formation.

To answer your question: First, after you save your gameplan, go back to it and make sure the plays are there as you've planned. Then, when you are calling your game plan, I would not advise you to use the suggestion box. There is a randomness to those playcall windows, which sometimes don't always show all your plays. If you click over to the "RUN" or "Pass" play call windows, they should show up. I tested this on both the BETA and game at launch by making video clips and then going back slowly to cross-check against my gameplan. Let me know how that works out for you. Good Luck.

Executor 08-27-2019 01:34 PM

Edge, I was trying to create my own playbook and I think it looks fairly good, except for one thing: the formations are not in order I would like to have them.

I mean, plays do not appear to be bungled but the formations are in odd order: first are Strong I and Weak I formations, then Pistol, and only then Singleback, I-Form and Shotgun.

While I prefer to have Singleback first, then I-Form, Strong- and Weak I, then Pistol and at the end, Shotgun.

I use 49ers playbook as a base. Maybe I overlooked something in your guide, but any idea what I might have done wrong?

Thanks.

edgevoice 08-27-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaticus (Post 2049884548)

Single Trips Weak Alert Bubble is a nice play. Take the zone run if it's there. If the DB is backed off, quickly rip a pass to the slot WR. Practice this thoroughly, as if read wrong, it's a pick 6 my friend.

TX.Leaguer 08-27-2019 04:32 PM

Madden 20 Custom Playbook & Game Plan Play Call Guide

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaticus (Post 2049884548)

Pistol trips left open - zone alert bubble

Both the bubble and run work well. Most defenses will be in a base nickel. As long as the LB isn’t directly in front of your bubble WR, you are good to go. If they are lined up directly on your bubble WR, run the ball. It’s a simple read. One juke after catching the ball and your into the second level of the defense. Don’t forget to press the square/X button with the ball in the air to perform a run after catch animation. Your two blocking receivers give you more than enough cushion to read if/when a DB gets lose so you can juke if necessary. The run option is always open as a check down when the defense is in true man align. I consistently get 3-4 yards on the run. Never thrown an INT with it.

Obviously I love this play. My #2 slot WR is always a speed and agility guy I use for kick returns. This play utilizes those strengths. It’s in pistol, so your WR will get the catch stat and will never count as a run stat (this annoys me on RPO’s).

I also use the mesh dig from the same formation. Good play and you should be completing passes at near 100%. You’ll get a minimum 3 yard pickup if you throw to the check down drags.

The only issue you’ll have with either of these plays is limiting yourself against the computer to keep it realistic by not calling the same plays over and over.

edgevoice 08-27-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Executor (Post 2049884916)
Edge, I was trying to create my own playbook and I think it looks fairly good, except for one thing: the formations are not in order I would like to have them.

I mean, plays do not appear to be bungled but the formations are in odd order: first are Strong I and Weak I formations, then Pistol, and only then Singleback, I-Form and Shotgun.

While I prefer to have Singleback first, then I-Form, Strong- and Weak I, then Pistol and at the end, Shotgun.

I use 49ers playbook as a base. Maybe I overlooked something in your guide, but any idea what I might have done wrong?

Thanks.

Nope. You did nothing wrong. I just messed around with your 49'ers book. The way you want the book to lay out is exactly as it is in it's default form. I tried deleting all formations except Shotgun and adding back formations in the order you want and it wouldn't lay out in order. Strange, since I used the Chiefs book and was able to do so, since that book had several formations I wanted to use.

They fixed sub-formations from scrambling this year. The first sub formation you select, say singleback ace would appear before singleback trips and bunch, just like my PDF showed. Last year, everything scrambled randomly. I wanted my book to organize by personnel groupings. Apparently, base formations still cannot be grouped in any specific order. I guess I just got lucky with Kansas City's book.

On the BETA feedback forum, I suggested that we be able to FULLY customize our books by formation order and also allow us to slide and stack our plays in the order we want them to appear. They still have some work to do, especially for OCD playbook folks like myself, but at least they made a solid effort improving gameplanning.

Sorry I couldn't get you sorted on this.