Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   QB awareness rating ..what does it really do? (/forums/showthread.php?t=957369)

tuckermaine 08-28-2019 11:16 AM

QB awareness rating ..what does it really do?

Would love some input from you cats on just what this rating does (QB awareness)...is it pocket presence as far as feeling pressure..or is it downfield accuracy with better decisions..
So if you have a scrambler with a 90 awareness and a pocket passer with a 90 awareness how do they affect the two..?

kennylc321 08-28-2019 12:46 PM

Re: QB awareness rating ..what does it really do?

Personally, I am convinced that awareness does nothing more than artificially inflate player ratings. Others will disagree but I do not think you will really see any difference between a player with a 20 AWR and a player with a 99 AWR. It's something I want to definitively test.

burth179 08-28-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennylc321 (Post 2049885855)
Personally, I am convinced that awareness does nothing more than artificially inflate player ratings. Others will disagree but I do not think you will really see any difference between a player with a 20 AWR and a player with a 99 AWR. It's something I want to definitively test.

I think it means something as far as how AI controlled players react, I don't think it does anything for user controlled players. However I'd be interested in the results of your test.

TX.Leaguer 08-28-2019 05:24 PM

This question has been asked for as long as awareness has been in madden and NCAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

PGaither84 08-28-2019 06:18 PM

I cannot speak for gen 4 consoles, but...

In the PS2 era, it was a measure of how smart/dumb any given player was and what branching choices they made.

Onnthe xbox 360, awareness was almost stripped from the game on the field and replaced it with things like Ball Carrier Vision, Play Recognition, and Pursuit on defense. Awareness was still something the game would check to see if a WR/TE would run the correct option route against a given coverage... because the game knows what the offensive and defensive plays are before the snap, which is why blitzes are unrealistically oicked up by backside guards and tackles sliding over and how, as I said, the WR/TE knows which option to take with a chance of failure.

For the QB, there is (was?) a layer of code to know who to throw to on anplay against a given coverage. This is modified by the difficulty setting and in Madden 12 and 25 by the Player Traits... which were infulenced by DPP (Dynamic Player Performance).

Also, base ratings are all fed into the simulation engine for franchise made to calculate outcomes and stats. If you are playing as a GM and simulating every game, then AWR is a rating I would value. Not above all else, but it can skew the numbers in your favor. Think of how Belichick and the Pats are known for being the most prepared team, and is a reason why tjey can still win a lot of simulated games without a deep roster of stars. That AWR matters then.

If you user control a player... it means nothing.

booker21 08-28-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGaither84 (Post 2049886166)
I cannot speak for gen 4 consoles, but...

In the PS2 era, it was a measure of how smart/dumb any given player was and what branching choices they made.

Onnthe xbox 360, awareness was almost stripped from the game on the field and replaced it with things like Ball Carrier Vision, Play Recognition, and Pursuit on defense. Awareness was still something the game would check to see if a WR/TE would run the correct option route against a given coverage... because the game knows what the offensive and defensive plays are before the snap, which is why blitzes are unrealistically oicked up by backside guards and tackles sliding over and how, as I said, the WR/TE knows which option to take with a chance of failure.

For the QB, there is (was?) a layer of code to know who to throw to on anplay against a given coverage. This is modified by the difficulty setting and in Madden 12 and 25 by the Player Traits... which were infulenced by DPP (Dynamic Player Performance).

Also, base ratings are all fed into the simulation engine for franchise made to calculate outcomes and stats. If you are playing as a GM and simulating every game, then AWR is a rating I would value. Not above all else, but it can skew the numbers in your favor. Think of how Belichick and the Pats are known for being the most prepared team, and is a reason why tjey can still win a lot of simulated games without a deep roster of stars. That AWR matters then.

If you user control a player... it means nothing.

I don't have proof at hand but while back EA Dev explained that awareness was only applied to simulation after Play recognition was introduced. Before it was doing what play recognition does.

PGaither84 08-28-2019 09:50 PM

I was under the impression that play recognition was only for defense.

Regardless, positional skills are still the most important ratings.

alexk105 11-20-2020 11:37 AM

I think it’s how long you can sit in the pocket without being sacked.