Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NHL 2K (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   (PS3) 2K10 Utility (/forums/showthread.php?t=957671)

snowdrift 09-03-2019 11:19 PM

2K10 Utility

(EDIT : Updated version Sept 20, 2019 : experimental name editing bugfix)

I've written a very simple Windows utility (command-line only) that exports player attributes from a roster file to a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet can then be edited and imported again to update player names, positions, player types and gameplay attributes.

How team rosters work is a mystery I may never solve, so players can't be moved to different teams. It has to be done in-game.

If anyone is interested in testing it:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6gybww...K10v3.zip/file

Extract the Ut2K10 folder and run Ut2K10.exe. Ignore all of the other files.

USAGE NOTES:

For the PS3 version, the PS3 file has to be decrypted (with BruteForce). Remember to encrypt it again before using it on the PS3. Apparently this also works with the XBox 360 version. Similar procedure : extract the contents file (.con) from the 360 save file using Horizon or an equivalent program for editing, then re-insert it into the save before loading it onto the XBox 360.

ID column tells program what player to overwrite. Do not edit IDs.

POS column in spreadsheet allows changing player position.
-> Use values : C, D, L, R, G
-> It is possible to change skaters into goalies and vice-versa (unlike in 2K8).

TYPE column allows changing player type. Values are same as with 2K8 editor:
"UTL","FIN","POW","2WY","PMK","SCO","ENF","COM","O FF","DEF","BFY","POS","RFX"
-> Currently exporting is not supported, so this column will be empty.
-> It's recommended to NOT skip player types. Overall rating will be too low if a player's type doesn't correspond to his strongest attributes.

Player names and attributes can be edited freely in the spreadsheet.
-> Maximum length for first or last name is 14 characters.

More information for those who may be struggling:
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...9&postcount=15

Dedicated to molifox, DJNeo, austrianredwing, and everyone else working hard to keep 2K10 alive and well.

tinpanalley 09-04-2019 12:37 AM

Re: (PS3) 2K10 Utility

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowdrift (Post 2049892451)
FOR THE PS3 VERSION ONLY... I've written a very simple Windows utility (command-line only) that exports player attributes from a roster file to a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet can then be edited and imported again to update player names, positions, player types and gameplay attributes.

I can -- not -- believe this. You're a legend. I'd totally be willing to help with this for updating rosters. Can't thank you enough. Even if it has limitations, this could be an immense help.

nikethebike 09-04-2019 12:53 AM

Wow! I'd be really interested in discussing details about this program with you and see if I can achieve something similar for 2K11.

WWEDX2007 09-04-2019 12:57 AM

Oh my god, this is an incredible step in the future of NHL 2K10. while it's a shame you may never find out what makes roster transfers work this is a hell of a start!

You listed a few different things you can edit, but what about ages? there are no ways to edit player ages from within the game.

Can you add names with certain text differences? (example: Jacob Markstrom -> Jacob Markström)

Have you looked into data differences between 2K9 and 2K10? it would be pretty cool if something between them was similar to give the utility another function. 2K9 was the debut of the current engine.

And also, I wonder why it's PS3 only since members here have talked about being able to transfer rosters between systems. makes me wonder if edits can be made to a PS3 file and then copied over via the method some members have come up with.

This editor is huge for multiple reasons, but the first off of the top of my head is how this will very much improve positional needs. we will no longer be forced to use certain skaters due to a lack of skaters at a certain position. would also hope this means we can abolish the limitation of certain players who have multiple positions listed and locked to them (Something that was good on paper but as a roster editor I hate very much)

nikethebike 09-04-2019 01:12 AM

This is really awesome.

Problem I had with editing the 2K11 roster file was that it seemed to have a checksum or something that I did not find. I suspect the PS3 file to atleast be similar. Therefor I am really interested if you would be willing to share what was needed to get it to work.

And the way you did it with spreadsheet export I think this could easily be combined with a project I did on NHL94 where I generated rosters based on season statistics...

Very good work!

snowdrift 09-04-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WWEDX2007 (Post 2049892514)
I wonder why it's PS3 only since members here have talked about being able to transfer rosters between systems.

Hadn't thought about that. If anyone with the 360 version wants to try, that would be great. (You'll need Horizon to extract the actual roster file from the save.)

Quote:

You listed a few different things you can edit, but what about ages?

I know where the data is stored so I can probably figure it out.

Quote:

Can you add names with certain text differences? (example: Jacob Markstrom -> Jacob Markström)

Haven't tried it. I know some special characters are possible in 2K8.

Quote:

Would also hope this means we can abolish the limitation of certain players who have multiple positions listed and locked to them

I haven't found a universal "forward" position, but doesn't 2K10 let you play anyone at any position? Do players have any known disadvantage if they don't play their natural position?

Quote:

Have you looked into data differences between 2K9 and 2K10?

Don't have 2K9, but 2K11 would probably come first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikethebike (Post 2049892523)
Problem I had with editing the 2K11 roster file was that it seemed to have a checksum

That doesn't sound good. If there's a checksum, there's nothing I can do, we'd need a programmer who has experience with that kind of stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikethebike (Post 2049892512)
I'd be really interested in discussing details about this program with you and see if I can achieve something similar for 2K11.

I don't know anything about 2K11, but maybe you can get ideas from how 2K10 works. We can discuss that by private message so we don't clutter the forum with technical stuff.

Fiddy 09-04-2019 09:16 AM

OMG..

TS, where are you?

I would love to have classic all time rosters for each team since classic rosters did not exist.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

This is awesome, thank you.

tinpanalley 09-04-2019 09:54 AM

Is there any chance that player portraits can be removed? That's one major issue with updated rosters for 2K10.
Another thing that would be great would be to remove play by play names in the instances where a player has been created over an existing player but retains his play by play name.

austrianredwing 09-04-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddy (Post 2049892708)
OMG..

TS, where are you?

I would love to have classic all time rosters for each team since classic rosters did not exist.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

This is awesome, thank you.

There are All Time rosters for xbox 360

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Fiddy 09-04-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austrianredwing (Post 2049892806)
There are All Time rosters for xbox 360

For 2k10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikethebike 09-04-2019 01:36 PM

There is a subforum for rosters here...
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...hl-2k-rosters/

Here is the thread, but I think we should stay on topic.
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...e-rosters.html

snowdrift 09-04-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddy (Post 2049892835)
For 2k10?

Pretty sure he was talking about this:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...19&postcount=2

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinpanalley (Post 2049892748)
Is there any chance that player portraits can be removed?

No idea at this point. I'm sure it's possible, because the game overwrites real players with generic ones when they retire. But that doesn't mean it will be easy to figure out. I may look into it eventually.

TSOLEliot 09-04-2019 06:58 PM

Wow! This really is awesome! If this can work for the 360, I'm back in!!! (Or just simply buy a PS3 and copy of the game but I'm cheap) Great work!

Jlnhlfan 09-04-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowdrift (Post 2049892451)
FOR THE PS3 VERSION ONLY... I've written a very simple Windows utility (command-line only) that exports player attributes from a roster file to a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet can then be edited and imported again to update player names, positions, player types and gameplay attributes.

How team rosters work is a mystery I may never solve, so players can't be moved to different teams. It has to be done in-game.

If anyone is interested in testing it:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/t1wvto...t2K10.zip/file

Extract the Ut2K10 folder and run Ut2K10.exe. Ignore all of the other files.

USAGE NOTES:

The PS3 file has to be decrypted (with BruteForce). Remember to encrypt it again before using it on the PS3.

ID column tells program what player to overwrite. Do not edit IDs.

POS column in spreadsheet allows changing player position.
-> Use values : C, D, L, R, G
-> It is possible to change skaters into goalies and vice-versa (unlike in 2K8).

TYPE column allows changing player type. Values are same as with 2K8 editor:
"UTL","FIN","POW","2WY","PMK","SCO","ENF","COM","O FF","DEF","BFY","POS","RFX"
-> Currently exporting is not supported, so this column will be empty.
-> It's recommended to NOT skip player types. Overall rating will be too low if a player's type doesn't correspond to his strongest attributes.

Player names and attributes can be edited freely in the spreadsheet.
-> Maximum length for first or last name is 14 characters.

Dedicated to molifox, DJNeo, austrianredwing, and everyone else working hard to keep 2K10 alive and well.

I'm confused. You want me to decrypt the save file with Bruteforce, but at the same time, the program (which uses a command line, which I hate using, by the way) asks for the encrypted file, thus making this program as useless as Horizon, which is supposedly used to edit Xbox 360 save files by doing the same thing.

snowdrift 09-04-2019 09:04 PM

The program asks for two files : USERDATA, then a CSV file. Just drag and drop the file onto the program window when it asks for one.

USERDATA has to be decrypted with BruteForce before using the program. Before going back to the PS3, you run BruteForce again and encrypt it.

All you do in BruteForce is:
1. Drag your PS3 save folder into the BruteForce window.
2. Right-click and select the first option... it will be either "Encrypt all files" or "Decrypt all files"

If you can't figure out exporting the CSV, you can just type a basic filename instead of a full path. Like just "myfile.csv". Since you didn't type in a path, the file will be created in the same folder as the program.

shogunofharlem3 09-04-2019 10:44 PM

This is amazing stuff!!! Great work Snowdrift!!!!!!!!!

I left my laptop at work but will try to open a 360 file tomorrow. I will extract the .con file and see if I can open it with your editor and report back.

Such awesome stuff

WWEDX2007 09-05-2019 02:28 AM

I've extracted a .ROS file from the latest 2K10 rosters by austrianredwing and exported it to a .csv file with the editor. at the very least your utility recognizes the Xbox 360 file. I'm gonna edit around and see if I can report back with results.

shogunofharlem3 09-05-2019 01:19 PM

WORKS ON 360 SAVES!!!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE WORK!!!!!!!!!!

I am able to view the players and their attributes in the .csv. I have not tried to import back. But can confirm a normal NHL.ROS file will work. It does not need to be the extracted contents from Horizon. Just the roster file itself.

snowdrift 09-05-2019 04:09 PM

WHOA LOL! But do the player attributes load correctly in-game? Can you get into actual games with them?

I would guess so if they're correct in the CSV, but I'll wait for confirmation of that, and whether importing edits back works, before I change the thread title.

shogunofharlem3 09-05-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowdrift (Post 2049894504)
WHOA LOL! But do the player attributes load correctly in-game? Can you get into actual games with them?

I would guess so if they're correct in the CSV, but I'll wait for confirmation of that, and whether importing edits back works, before I change the thread title.

I will check this above tomorrow with several beers after the first full week of teaching. Will report back unless the kids take me down first.

(FYI. Love you used Python. I have written my first two programs recently in Python to help me with some school/coaching stuff to automate some processes). Looking forward to looking at your code.

nikethebike 09-06-2019 01:00 AM

Oh it's written in python? Then it's a script language. Nice.

shogunofharlem3 09-06-2019 05:23 PM

Update:

The original file I was working with was a contents file, I didn't realize. This editor can't open a save. You need to extract the contents using Horizon.

I used the editor, did some changes to attributes, imported those into the contents file. Then replaced the contents with the new contents, resigned and saved to flash drive.

Everything seemed to work except all the players are named ??? however, the announcers know them, their attributes all line up properly. Just the name didn't transfer over. I will try again with another save to get a better sample.

I will also throw up a video later on with the process I used for 360. Great work again Snowdrift!

snowdrift 09-06-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3 (Post 2049896368)
Everything seemed to work except all the players are named ??? however, the announcers know them, their attributes all line up properly. Just the name didn't transfer over.

It's actually the program, not the game, that intentionally sets player names to ??? if their name or ID is not specified in the CSV file.

So it sounds like the name replacement is actually working, which is a great sign. It's just not seeing the names in the CSV for some reason. I'll test again on the PS3 in case it's a bug in the program and not a 360 issue.

EDIT: it was a bug. Updated the download link with the fixed version. Try again!

shogunofharlem3 09-06-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowdrift (Post 2049896380)
It's actually the program, not the game, that intentionally sets player names to ??? if their name or ID is not specified in the CSV file.

So it sounds like the name replacement is actually working, which is a great sign. It's just not seeing the names in the CSV for some reason. I'll test again on the PS3 in case it's a bug in the program and not a 360 issue.

EDIT: it was a bug. Updated the download link with the fixed version. Try again!

Update works beautifully!!!!!!!! I am editing attributes now and testing how they work, which is what I like to do. Because of this I may be on to something new with the goalies. Video to follow soon. Great stuff!

In all honesty, this game still plays the best game of hockey.

shogunofharlem3 09-06-2019 09:18 PM

Tutorial for Xbox 360. It is a little long but there are a bunch of steps to follow. Hope this helps.

coming soon. reshooting now

Edit: just realized my mouse cursor was on hide during this tutorial.....I can reshoot and repost in a bit if need be.

snowdrift 09-06-2019 09:40 PM

Doesn't look like I can edit PS3 out of the thread title, anybody know if there's a way to do that? Guess I could ask a mod if not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3 (Post 2049896636)
I can reshoot and repost in a bit if need be.

Suggestion if you do, I think it would be easier for people to just drag the files onto the program window instead of typing the whole path in.

shogunofharlem3 09-06-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowdrift (Post 2049896659)
Doesn't look like I can edit PS3 out of the thread title, anybody know if there's a way to do that? Guess I could ask a mod if not.

Suggestion if you do, I think it would be easier for people to just drag the files onto the program window instead of typing the whole path in.

Ahhhhhh, didn't know you could drag. That is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY easier.

Excellent. I will do that now.

shogunofharlem3 09-06-2019 10:52 PM

New tutorial. And I thought it would be fun to see a video or two, I'll have them for Sunday, of the game playing with everyone at all 20s (lowest possible attribute). then one at a 99s. Just for the hell of it.

Tutorial for Snowdrift's Roster Utility for 360

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk_uZxkJrh0

nikethebike 09-07-2019 06:25 AM

What are the current limitations of this? Is it only attributes?

Can you edit age?
Can you edit shoot hand? L/R?
Can you edit if a player is a rookie?
Can you edit what face the player has?
Can you edit weight?
Can you edit length?
Can we export what team that the player is on, I know we can not update it?
Will name change in this tool effect call names?

I haven't tried this yet that's why I ask...

snowdrift 09-07-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikethebike (Post 2049897022)
Is it only attributes?

Only what's mentioned in the first post. I plan to look into age and shot hand for sure, and probably weight and height. No guarantees for the other stuff, although I'd love to get rid of the commentary and player photos.

WWEDX2007 09-08-2019 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowdrift (Post 2049897039)
Only what's mentioned in the first post. I plan to look into age and shot hand for sure, and probably weight and height. No guarantees for the other stuff, although I'd love to get rid of the commentary and player photos.

Maybe another thing to look into would be the in-game stats for players and goalies, although sadly it was never figured out in 2K8.

Have you looked into Franchise at all? of course the first thing I would ask for is the ability to change the start year just like 2K8, but the added bonus is how 2K encouraged draft class editing. so that may be another avenue to explore.

Also (I might be getting a bit overboard with the questions here but bear with me as this game has had no technical editing since release) what made you do command line over the traditional 2K8 editor Java interface? if enough stuff gets figured out is it possible we'd see that interface come back?

nikethebike 09-08-2019 04:47 AM

Snowdrift, about the interface, from a fellow programmer if you decide to implement another UI on top of this, can you PLEASE (!!!) keep all functionality to be command line based and just put an interface on those cmd line commands? The potential of using this to create even more advanced tools for importing entire seasons from statistics etc, will be immense if you keep this the way it is. We can still make a UI on top of it, as I said...
If you build all functionality into an interface (which is the classic way of doing this) you will kill the possibility to build something on top of your awesomeness...

WWEDX2007 09-08-2019 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikethebike (Post 2049898479)
Snowdrift, about the interface, from a fellow programmer if you decide to implement another UI on top of this, can you PLEASE (!!!) keep all functionality to be command line based and just put an interface on those cmd line commands? The potential of using this to create even more advanced tools for importing entire seasons from statistics etc, will be immense if you keep this the way it is. We can still make a UI on top of it, as I said...
If you build all functionality into an interface (which is the classic way of doing this) you will kill the possibility to build something on top of your awesomeness...

The issue is that for people like me Excel and other spreadsheet editors being a requirement is a huge pain. I miss the 2K8 way of being able to edit things easily and not needing an external program. My progress testing this on the 360 has been halted by not having Excel.

EDIT: Huh.....apparently you can edit the .CSVs with just Notepad. Oof.

I edited Jacob Markstrom's name to be "Jacob Markström" and the game displays him with some garbled message in his last name. but positional changes do in fact work (In austrianredwing's latest rosters, Nikita Kucherov is RW/LW, I switched him to L and it removed the double positions. which is exactly how I wanted it to work and makes it so we're not forced to deal with positional limitations)

nikethebike 09-08-2019 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WWEDX2007 (Post 2049898480)
The issue is that for people like me Excel and other spreadsheet editors being a requirement is a huge pain. I miss the 2K8 way of being able to edit things easily and not needing an external program. My progress testing this on the 360 has been halted by not having Excel.

EDIT: Huh.....apparently you can edit the .CSVs with just Notepad. Oof.

I edited Jacob Markstrom's name to be "Jacob Markström" and the game displays him with some garbled message in his last name. but positional changes do in fact work (In austrianredwing's latest rosters, Nikita Kucherov is RW/LW, I switched him to L and it removed the double positions. which is exactly how I wanted it to work and makes it so we're not forced to deal with positional limitations)

I fully understand mate, I don't say DON'T MAKE A UI version, I'm just suggesting an architecture where you let the backend be fully command line based and simply make a UI that uses the command line backend.

That way will make it easier to collaborate on tools.

snowdrift 09-08-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WWEDX2007 (Post 2049898473)
what made you do command line over the traditional 2K8 editor Java interface?

Lack of time and motivation. Building a GUI requires planning, takes time, and adds a layer of complexity that makes the program harder to maintain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikethebike (Post 2049898479)
If you build all functionality into an interface [...] you will kill the possibility to build something on top...

Not really. It's probably bad design to build functionality into a GUI. So far I think I've succeeded in keeping the display logic separate from everything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WWEDX2007 (Post 2049898480)
My progress testing this on the 360 has been halted by not having Excel.

Try free software like LibreOffice, Google Sheets, etc.

nikethebike 09-08-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowdrift (Post 2049898541)
It's probably bad design to build functionality into a GUI.

Yes it is.

It was not my meaning to point any fingers at you or anyone else specifically, so don't take it personal it was def not meant that way.

Just wanted to explain why I LIKE your cmd-based release. :D

What I mean is internally a tool might have ok design, but often with tools like this (from the experience I have atleast) many people release a full fledged gui based tool (that might have good design internally) that does not make publically available any APIs that make it possible to automate things that the tool does. So you often end up with tutorials describing how you combine using three different gui based tools to achieve something, while if apis would have been available it could have been all automated. Don't know if I make any sense here. Lol.

In summary, I just wanted to say, I like the approach you currently use.

Money99 09-08-2019 12:02 PM

Re: 2K10 Utility

What does this mean for Money99?
Should he buy a 360 again??

nikethebike 09-08-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Money99 (Post 2049898835)
Should he buy a 360 again??

Ofcourse.
And a PC good enough to run 2KHS while you're at it.

I'm stoked at the possibilities that this opens up!

I want to combine this with this project I started before: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/t...ster-importer/

Money99 09-08-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikethebike (Post 2049899023)
Ofcourse.
And a PC good enough to run 2KHS while you're at it.

I'm stoked at the possibilities that this opens up!

I want to combine this with this project I started before: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/t...ster-importer/

LOL, I don't think that's going to happen. I'd love to have the time and resources to make a PC to play 2KHS.
It looks awesome.
But I may have to stick with 2K10 on an old 360.

nikethebike 09-08-2019 08:45 PM

I have a problem...

I can't run your tool since my computer removes the exe file when I extract the zip archive. I ran the zip on virustotal and 4 engines detect virus in the zip file...
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/...71fc/detection

NANO-Antivirus, Yandex, Rising, Zillya all report some kind of trojan.
These are the infected files according to these sources:
Ut2K10/api-ms-win-core-interlocked-l1-1-0.dll
Ut2K10/api-ms-win-core-processenvironment-l1-1-0.dll
Ut2K10/api-ms-win-core-util-l1-1-0.dll