Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football Sliders (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=495)
-   -   Optimal Slider functionality question. (/forums/showthread.php?t=958015)

AtlantiasFalcon 09-08-2019 09:07 AM

Optimal Slider functionality question.

My 2 main questions are how sliders are supposed to work in theory.

For example, the speed threshold. With how they describe it, does it mean that at 0 it's a true version of player speed? Does it operate as a global modifier?

Like at 50 does it reduce the gap of speed difference by 50% up to a cap?

Is that principal applied to others? Does it mean at CPU ACC 100 there is no punishment by the game to the QB accuracy? Or does it mean regardless of situation the throw is perfect.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

charter04 09-08-2019 10:23 AM

Re: Optimal Slider functionality question.

Speed threshold just raises or lowers th gap between the fastest and slowest players. There is really no true speed. At 0 the slowest players will be slower than real life. The top players like 98 speed doesn't change much if at all on any speed. It just squeezes all players up closer to the fastest guy or makes the gap bigger. Also it has an affect on Acceleration.

Sliders are basically dice roll modifiers. Each slider has different sensitivity though.

Take the pass accuracy slider. 50 is default. This is what the devs set it too. It's not the best or worst it's just what they have it at.

If you raise it is creates a greater chance, based on ratings and other factors, that the qb will roll an inaccurate pass. Lower it and the opposite happens.

The only one kind of different is fumble. Lowering fumble gives a greater chance at fumbles.

So that's basically what you are looking at with sliders.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

AtlantiasFalcon 09-08-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charter04 (Post 2049898684)
Speed threshold just raises or lowers th gap between the fastest and slowest players. There is really no true speed. At 0 the slowest players will be slower than real life. The top players like 98 speed doesn't change much if at all on any speed. It just squeezes all players up closer to the fastest guy or makes the gap bigger. Also it has an affect on Acceleration.

Sliders are basically dice roll modifiers. Each slider has different sensitivity though.

Take the pass accuracy slider. 50 is default. This is what the devs set it too. It's not the best or worst it's just what they have it at.

If you raise it is creates a greater chance, based on ratings and other factors, that the qb will roll an inaccurate pass. Lower it and the opposite happens.

The only one kind of different is fumble. Lowering fumble gives a greater chance at fumbles.

So that's basically what you are looking at with sliders.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Ah. That makes sense. So how would you test what the real speed for threshold is? Seems like everything else is variable but the threshold would be static. I would like to see a set that starts with a realistic threshold.

Cycloniac 09-08-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantiasFalcon (Post 2049898740)
Ah. That makes sense. So how would you test what the real speed for threshold is? Seems like everything else is variable but the threshold would be static. I would like to see a set that starts with a realistic threshold.

It really depends on what you believe is realistic. I've gone from 75 to 25 this year, and the argument exists for both sides of the spectrum.

I've always felt 0 was too extreme for threshold because the gaps it creates can be way too overdone. I like 25 because you still see the difference in player speed from top tier to lower tier in all aspects of the game. This especially makes a difference in pass coverage because the speed rating spread for WRs and DBs is usually only 3-7 points.

I used to like 75 for threshold, but this year, it seems to speed things up way too much. The argument for 75 being realistic was/is that since there is a smaller speed gap, the rest of the ratings matter more. The tradeoff is with higher thresholds, you will see DTs scooping and scoring 50+ yards like LBs, and the pass rush is overpowered because QBs have less time in the pocket, especially on DB blitzes.

Aestis 09-08-2019 01:26 PM

The game speed will be closer to NFL at low thresholds. The diff between player speeds will be realistic at ~80. So gameplay will be more balanced at 80 but will feel faster than NFL. Gameplay won't be too balanced atow thresholds but will feel closer to NFL speeds.

Aestis 09-08-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cycloniac (Post 2049898857)
pass rush is overpowered because QBs have less time in the pocket, especially on DB blitzes.

Receivers also get downfield faster so this isn't necessarily true.

Cycloniac 09-08-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aestis (Post 2049898924)
Receivers also get downfield faster so this isn't necessarily true.

In theory, yes, but so do the DBs, so those two things cancel out a bit, wouldn't you say? I'm curious if the route running is also affected by threshold being increased; faster route execution, possibly less precise at higher numbers? Could lead to more coverage sacks, aside from the increase in acceleration for D-lineman and LBs.

I've noticed a significant difference in pass rush at higher thresholds, almost night and day.

Aestis 09-09-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cycloniac (Post 2049898944)
In theory, yes, but so do the DBs, so those two things cancel out a bit, wouldn't you say? I'm curious if the route running is also affected by threshold being increased; faster route execution, possibly less precise at higher numbers? Could lead to more coverage sacks, aside from the increase in acceleration for D-lineman and LBs.

I've noticed a significant difference in pass rush at higher thresholds, almost night and day.

No, they do not cancel out. Relative game speed of players (whether DB or WR) affects how quickly WRs get into their routes. If they are faster, they'll hit their cut faster, etc. which means QB is getting the ball out faster. Speed of DBs does not affect that--it affects coverage efficacy, sure, but not how quickly the QB can throw.

When the game plays faster, that is inherently tougher. So you would expect mistakes to be higher, but that doesn't mean the pass rush is faster relative to WRs.