Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MMA Forum (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   MMA Fantasy League (/forums/showthread.php?t=959508)

MacGowan 10-01-2019 08:58 AM

MMA Fantasy League

This MMA board seems a little dead, so I'm gonna try to breathe some life into it. Hope some of you lurkers wanna help me out.

Super nerdy post coming up:

Just sharing some stuff from a Fantasy League me and a friend made. I've never really liked the MMA Fantasy setups out there, as it's really just pick 'em predictions. And with the way MMA plays out you're lucky if you get above 60% correct.

Anywho, so we created a MMA Fantasy League built around Fantasy Fotball: The way you draft fotballers and then receive points per game depending on how your player does.
We wanted to keep it simple and we wanted to add some umph to it. So here's what we came up with after 2 seasons.

DRAFTS:
We haven't really done this with more than 3 people. So we just did a simple old school draft. But with more people we'd probably do an Auction/Snake Hybrid draft. That is first 10 fighters are nominated and auctioned for. and the rest go through a snake draft (referring to the order: Instead of going around in a circle, you go back and forth)

Every player has to fill their roster.
-12 weightclasses (Women's Featherweight are joined with Women's Atomweight as both are a bit shallow)
-2 fighters per weightclass

Points are simple.
100 points for a first round KO, and of course
-100 points if your fighter gets KO'd in the first round.
Then you have everything in between. finish/unanimous/split/draw

Then we have bonuses. Long time defending champions are worth the most, but also FOTN bonus winners. That kind of balances it out, so a long-time Bellator/ONE champion might not be worth as much as a ruthless new UFC champion.

Oh, and here's the current rosters.

Current season (2nd season) ends October 26th.
Let me know what you MMA nerds think. Any loopholes or bad rules?
Any questions? Any interest?

MacGowan 11-02-2019 12:06 AM

Re: MMA Fantasy League

SEASON 3

Updating this, we just finished the new draft and boy did I end up with some stinkers. Which one of us got the best draw? We'll keep this roster 'til the end of April. Though we added some trade rules, one is the ability to ditch 1 fighter for a free agent, and a trade block for the fighters we don't want (sorry Gegard)

MacGowan 11-03-2019 01:13 AM

This is after UFC 244: NATE DIAZ VS JORGE MASVIDAL

MacGowan 12-08-2019 07:33 PM

This is how it's looking as of UFC on ESPN 7: Overeem vs. Rozenstruik

Evil AI took a big hit, while Kei scored a good one with Ladd.
Herman removed Johnny Walker from the Trade block following the booking of his next fight.

Been quiet for a bit, but lots of fighters booked for UFC 245, so that's gonna shake up things.

MacGowan 12-16-2019 04:46 AM

After UFC 245: Usman vs Covington
Kei won big, having Usman, Nunes, and Volkanovski in her roster. Herman lost with Holloway, Aldo, Kai Kara-France. I lost with Germaine, Colby, and Ketlen. Evil AI lost with Viviane Araujo, but came back with a strong outing with Aldana. Really mixed the board up and it will be fun seeing how this season is shaping up.

Also, I burned my Free Agency card by cutting Leslie Smith to bring in Frankie Edgar.

MacGowan 12-24-2019 09:41 AM

After UFC on ESPN+ 23, and Bellator Hawaii. Evil AI won big with Korean Zombie, and my newly picked fighter Frankie Edgar was a big dudd. Thankfully Illima-Lei brought me back with her 4th title defence.

MacGowan 01-02-2020 09:43 AM

This is after Bellator Japan, Rizin 20, and PFL: Championship.

My Kai Asakura got finished in 2nd round, but thankfully my Ray Cooper III got it back in PFL.
Evil AI scored another solid win with its Katlyn Harrison.
Herm and Kei had no fights these few weeks. She's still riding high from UFC 245, and Herm is last place.

Here's what we have on the horizon:
Kei: Cowboy and Julia Budd. Both a live dogs in their fights, but a solid gamble. With Julia she could secure a real high score if she defends her belt for a 4th time. She also has Derrick Lewis and Jon Jones.
Herm: McGregor and Mayce Barber. Curtis Blaydes and Sara McMann. I don't see this panning out well for ol' Herm. They are solid picks, but a bit of a gamble, and none are title fights. At this point he needs all these fights to pan out for him.
Evil AI: Dominick Reyes, and Katlyn Chookagian. AI is on a long break and has not a fight booked untill UFC 247. That's not necessarily a bad thing. With 290 points, sitting out for a bit might be better, not to mention both fights are title fights.
Kell: Cyborg, Marlon Vera, Valentina Shevchenko. Ok so this is where I turn it around. Valentina should get me back on top with a 3rd title defence and hopefully a stoppage. Marlon is a big gamble, and I'm nervous about Cyborg; She's older, and I consider this her toughest opponent next to Nunes. But I foolishly burned my free agent card on Frankie Edgar, so here I am.

MacGowan 01-27-2020 06:48 AM

Results after UFC 246, UFC on ESPN+ 24, and Bellator 238
Kei got knocked down a few pegs, everyone else is slowly climbing up.