Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Minshew vs. Mayfield (/forums/showthread.php?t=959809)

sniperhare 10-08-2019 09:38 AM

Minshew vs. Mayfield

So week 5 is done, and the rosters are still horrible in my opinion.

Let's ignore the Jaguars issues with poor OL ratings and just compare two QB's.

Gardner Minshew is a 6th round rookie; Baker Mayfield is in his second year and was drafted #1 Overall.

Minshew

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT Sack FUM RTG

110 165 66.7 1279 7.8 9 1 12 7/4 105.6

Mayfield

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT Sack FUM RTG

90 161 55.9 1279 7.7 4 8 16 5/3 68.5

Minshew is Normal dev with a rating of just 66 OVR
Mayfield is a Superstar dev with Abilities, rated at 82 OVR

We get weekly updates, they're supposed to fix these issues and problems.

PhillyPhanatic14 10-08-2019 09:41 AM

Re: Minshew vs. Mayfield

Makes 0 sense. All about the hype, not reality.

Just tweeted them about this... We'll see. I tweeted them about Minshew last week and they seemed to think they were being overly generous with giving him a 1 point ratings increase last week somehow lol. They even justified having Eli rated higher than Minshew.

TheGentlemanGhost 10-08-2019 09:43 AM

There are a few people they gave superstar traits to that just had to be changed that boggled my mind. I could understand Mayfield being a star maybe, but superstar...no. They are moving Minshew’s ratings up way too slowly with the updates as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

kennylc321 10-08-2019 09:54 AM

Arguing over ratings is pretty pointless.

Sorry but hype is part of it. You're trying to make ratings a totally objective process... you are essentially arguing "who is better." Stats do not always tell the entire point.

And let's say the ratings guy buys your argument and say "yeah, Minshew should be higher than Mayfield" then we would be complaining that he received a 20 point jump.

Don't know what to tell you. It's not a perfect system and no matter how hard you argue Player A should be rated higher than Player B, someone will be able to counter it.

stinkubus 10-08-2019 10:09 AM

Minshew has played only a handful of games. No need to overreact to such a small sample. Matt Cassel looked like an All-Pro for one season.

GameBreaker35 10-08-2019 10:12 AM

I’m a Jaguars fan myself.

Minshew is having himself quite a season, but the sample size is still small. I’ve come away extremely impressed each week; however, there are valid reasons he went in the 6th round, and was on the roster bubble during pre-season.

We still don’t know if this is a flash in the pan, or if we are looking at the next great one. He has a some short-comings in his throwing mechanics, and needs to work on protecting the ball when moving in the pocket — I’ll give him a bit of a pass with our OL for now.

I completely understand the Baker Mayfield case though. I think marketing has a lot of say in the Superstar tags and he’s still a very marketable player in the NFL right now.

Give it time my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

sniperhare 10-08-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennylc321 (Post 2049933318)
Arguing over ratings is pretty pointless.

Sorry but hype is part of it. You're trying to make ratings a totally objective process... you are essentially arguing "who is better." Stats do not always tell the entire point.

And let's say the ratings guy buys your argument and say "yeah, Minshew should be higher than Mayfield" then we would be complaining that he received a 20 point jump.

Don't know what to tell you. It's not a perfect system and no matter how hard you argue Player A should be rated higher than Player B, someone will be able to counter it.

I disagree completely.

The ratings are supposed to allow the players to play in the game, like they do in real life.

It has nothing to do with who is more famous, or who has more commercials.

If you played a game of Madden, Mayfield would play outstanding, and Minshew would suck.

That is easily fixed, adjust the ratings so they play like they do in real life. That's supposed to be EA's responsibility.

I don't care if they hide the ratings, the point of them is to just show comparisons between players.

When they give advantages to players, like how Jackson gets the ability to move at running speed in the pocket, and Minshew plods around despite how he actually plays, it's an issue.

I like the idea of highlight abilities to further differentiate the best in the league.

But they're just not being consistent with them.

ParaAut 10-08-2019 10:41 AM

Very easy that you can play 5 games in Madden with Minshew better than 5 games with Mahomes. Is he then the better QB? - Likely not.

Ratings aren't based on 5 games, not even on a single season in most cases. If they were, we would have 10-20 point rating jumps every week and ratings are worth nothing.

Let Minshew outperform his ratings during the full season, then I'm sure he will be rated mid 70's at least. Let Mayfield underperform his ratings during the full season, then I'm sure he will arrive there too.