Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Fact or Fiction: MLB The Show 19 Is the Sports Game of the Year (/forums/showthread.php?t=960726)

Steve_OS 10-31-2019 10:00 AM

Fact or Fiction: MLB The Show 19 Is the Sports Game of the Year

It's been an up and down year for sports games, but coming off a wild seven-game...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.

JoshC1977 10-31-2019 10:39 AM

Re: Fact or Fiction: MLB The Show 19 Is the Sports Game of the Year

I 100% agree with the sentiment that this is the best sports game of the year. This game does a tremendous job of translating the feel and nuance of this sport. What's truly wonderful is that you can make this game as arcade or sim as you want - and here is the key - across ALL the modes.

On top of that, the franchise mode remains the most stable out there....doing a far better job at keeping things stable and balanced than other games (the major 'bug' gripes always coming from people using ill-conceived custom rosters that hyper inflate prospect potentials - sorry kids, that's on you for using them). The other complaint (too "shallow") always coming from people who sim games (bypassing the true meat of the mode - the gameplay)...repeat after me guys, "This is not a text sim...this is not a text sim". The addition of Heidi Watney has been well-needed....her role needs to be massively expanded next year....ideally along with going to a 2-person booth.

Now, the mode itself does need some added depth in player development and scouting and a little more customization. But, the budget and morale systems are fantastic (simplicity does not mean it lacks depth). The biggest issue is with the base rosters. They need help in properly reflecting player options and player potentials more adequately. This HAS to be a focus for next year.

RTTS (while not my cup of tea) is pretty deep...though it appears roster management gets a little loopy. Probably the best single player mode out there that doesn't require inordinate sums of money to 'level up'.

Diamond Dynasty is also fantastic - but flawed. I wrote my detailed thoughts on that in another thread....no point in re-hashing here since most people reading this will just want to use this thread as another opportunity to whine about franchise mode.

Consistency is a virtue and this series has been consistent for a long while. The competition from other sports games has been very weak as well (with NBA 2k a disaster for franchise mode lovers (as usual); NHL and FIFA flopping badly and Madden regressing badly after a promising launch).

ToughJuice 10-31-2019 10:47 AM

Well its damn sure not a 2k product

michdb8 10-31-2019 11:51 AM

well a baseball game that has an AI that doesn't handle the ballpen as should be, with dumb decisions cant be a game of the year especially baseball which is the easiest sport to sim, sports games don't deserve any award after this awful year of releases

Armor and Sword 10-31-2019 12:57 PM

Easy vote for me. Game is sublime to play year in year out. I love it. Keep it up SDS.

Improvements are needed in franchise for sure...no need to rehash. Customization options in franchise (ala 2K My League style) would go a long way with us older and faithful players as we use classic rosters a ton and would love to be able to reconstruct our favorite seasons from years past.

As always I am greatly looking forward to MLB The Show 20.

Mozatta 10-31-2019 01:23 PM

What other options are there? Most of the sports games this year are nonfunctionable crap.

statum71 10-31-2019 01:27 PM

I personally like NBA 2K more but I do understand I’m in the minority. That’s because I don’t play online of play MyPlayer so I don’t experience issues that are so big with it.

That said, I’d have to agree. The Show as SGOTY.

tril 10-31-2019 02:05 PM

THE SHOW for me is a presentation upgrade away from being GOTY. *THE intentional bland commentary desperately needs an upgrade. * THE SHOW's presentation and commentary in todays day and age should be as lively as MLB2k12/13.