Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Low rated pitchers unhittable (/forums/showthread.php?t=960842)

JHodges57 11-02-2019 06:17 PM

Low rated pitchers unhittable

I have a question for those who play MoM.

I manage Washington and Houston, two good offensive teams.

Combined, these teams have faced 7 pitchers with an overall rating of 60 or below (1 was a 60, the others between 53 & 58). The combined stats vs these pitchers:

31 IP, 16 H, 6 BB, 27 K, 2 HR, 6 runs (1.74 ERA, 0.71 WHIP).

Looking at their real life stats, they all were pretty damn bad.

I would think that at least one of those pitchers would have gotten beaten up at some point, but so far, not even close. I know people will say small sample size, but 7 lousy pitchers all pitch like that? 2 different teams, same results? We do a lot better against elite pitchers, none of whom have combined stats that look anywhere near what the low ranked players have.

Most of these pitchers have ERA's over 9 when they come to play us which shows that when games are simmed, results tend to be more true to life than played out games. I don't believe that all 7 of these pitchers suddenly got hot at the same time.

As far as my teams, I dare not bring anyone in rated under 70.

Looking at their stats, keep in mind that all of them have h/9 ratings in the 30's & 40's. Same with the k/9 and HR/9. So what ratings does the game look at when deciding outcomes? Really, pitchers with those kind of ratings don't even belong in the Majors, but in The Show, the look like HOFers.

My question is, has anyone's team been able to hit these really low rated pitchers?

2012EndofWorldFail 11-23-2019 06:35 PM

Re: Low rated pitchers unhittable

That makes no sense, what do they think they are? Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Bob Feller, Ed Walsh, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux and Addie Joss put together?

MakaveliLPC 11-23-2019 07:11 PM

This probably isn't the case in your instance, but sometimes in franchise at least there are under the radar players whose OVRs are a little deceiving. I have a reliever who's low 70s OVR but h/9 bb/9 are both over 80. His whip 3/4 thru the season is sitting below 1.0...

Caulfield 11-23-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakaveliLPC (Post 2049973135)
This probably isn't the case in your instance, but sometimes in franchise at least there are under the radar players whose OVRs are a little deceiving. I have a reliever who's low 70s OVR but h/9 bb/9 are both over 80. His whip 3/4 thru the season is sitting below 1.0...

definitely agree. OverAll is a funny animal. sometimes the parts are greater than the whole. A pitcher's OverAll is higher if he has highish Stamina when his primary position is Starting Pitcher than when it's changed to Relief Pitcher. also, Durability can deceptively lower or raise OverAll. when looking at OA, while it makes for a convenient starting point, it won't necessarily be the Be-All-End-All one may be tempted to use it as. in fact, it would be a nice ''little thing'' if there was an ability to opt out of seeing any of the attribute ratings entirely with a Toggle On/Off for visibility of ratings. one of the first things my eyes are drawn to is OA and other such attribute ratings, even when I'd rather not see them. if you dont take a player serious because you see he has a lowish OA, he can wind up burning you with the one good quality in his possession, if he has one.