Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Four or Five WR Sets? (/forums/showthread.php?t=961949)

HarlemYankee 12-02-2019 03:00 PM

Four or Five WR Sets?

Is it at all possible to find playbooks that have four or five wide receivers? I don't understand this in the slightest. If you have an underneath/blocking type of tight end and a running back who isn't a great receiver, why must you force them into the 5 WR sets? I just don't get this whatsoever. Also don't quite understand why you can't adjust it manually through formation subs.

Seems like a bizarre oversight or mistake

Richie71 12-03-2019 01:34 AM

Re: Four or Five WR Sets?

Well most teams when they line up in 5WR are including a TE and an RB.

Have you tried cycling through the personnel when selecting the formation?

kennylc321 12-03-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarlemYankee (Post 2049978863)
Is it at all possible to find playbooks that have four or five wide receivers? I don't understand this in the slightest. If you have an underneath/blocking type of tight end and a running back who isn't a great receiver, why must you force them into the 5 WR sets? I just don't get this whatsoever. Also don't quite understand why you can't adjust it manually through formation subs.

Seems like a bizarre oversight or mistake

I made this same complaint and was told that (for whatever reason) those formations are located in the Run and Shoot formation. Since that is one of the generic playbooks, they are not available for custom playbooks (for whatever reason)

GameBreaker35 12-03-2019 09:15 AM

It doesn’t happen frequently in the NFL, so it’s reflected in the team playbooks. Most teams would much rather put their 1st String TE or HB out there catching versus their 4th or 5th WR.

I think I’ve seen some formations that have the 4 WR package but you have to scroll to it in the play call screen. May want to check all of the formations for those too.

kehlis 12-03-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameBreaker35 (Post 2049979306)
It doesn’t happen frequently in the NFL, so it’s reflected in the team playbooks. Most teams would much rather put their 1st String TE or HB out there catching versus their 4th or 5th WR.

I think I’ve seen some formations that have the 4 WR package but you have to scroll to it in the play call screen. May want to check all of the formations for those too.

That's not why it's done at all.

It's for matchups and substitutions. If the defense saw 5 WR's coming on, they would know what formation to expect and would react differently if they only see three WR's in the huddle and then are surprised by a 5 wr set.

ADW 12-04-2019 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kehlis (Post 2049979669)
That's not why it's done at all.

It's for matchups and substitutions. If the defense saw 5 WR's coming on, they would know what formation to expect and would react differently if they only see three WR's in the huddle and then are surprised by a 5 wr set.

Of course that's a tell, but nearly every team's starting TE and HB are much better players than the 4th or 5th WR. Those guys are generally special teams players if they're on the active gameday roster. If they get any snaps on offense it's likely due to an injury to one of the guys ahead of them on the depth chart.

tigerxtc15 12-04-2019 01:04 PM

Can’t you just use the sub formation feature under your coach to put wrs there assuming your talking franchise

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

underdog13 12-04-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADW (Post 2049979903)
Of course that's a tell, but nearly every team's starting TE and HB are much better players than the 4th or 5th WR.

Umm what. Better receivers?