Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K League (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=696)
-   -   The WNBA further highlights 2k's most glaring gameplay related legacy issue (/forums/showthread.php?t=962224)

Kaanyr Vhok 12-09-2019 07:05 PM

The WNBA further highlights 2k's most glaring gameplay related legacy issue

Bigs rebound too well in relationship to their real life counterparts and other players. This is especially true in the WNBA where you have more height discrepancy and players like Natasha Howard who are at 6’2 in the game but are listed 6’4 in real life. WNBA players are not editable so we can’t just nerf ratings or adjust height. If I’m using the Storm I can have Breanna Stewart at 6’4 guard the 5 which does help but

I saw this as a potential issue more than 10 years ago. It always bothered me that rebound ratings were not created in relation to position, rebound percentage and where they actually play on the court.

This is still an issue with NBA players though it is addressable with a global roster edit. That said, its been an out of the box issue since at least 2k15. I mostly use Portland. Nurkic and Whiteside average 12 boards in their sleep. Lillard and Mcollum are always a rebound and a half (or more) below average in a season. Westbrook could never average 10 boards Patrick Beverly could never average 6.

Simulated stats are also messed up. Britney Griner never averaged more than 1.9 offensive rebounds in real life or 10 total. She averages 4 offensive rebounds in NBA 2k20 and last I looked was averaging 12. Liz Cambage gets 16-19 rebounds at will. All the bigs are putting up career highs at rebound in sim games or in the games I’m playing. Decreasing rebound and sliders to zero or even leaving defensive rebounds at 20 helps some.

What really bothers me is how fixable this is and how this slants both the NBA and WNBA to overvalue bigs. This is during a time when the NBA is shrinking and the WNBA is sorta stuck between old school and new school NBA.

*Mods can you move this to the right place?

NINJAK2 12-11-2019 04:32 PM

Re: The WNBA further highlights 2k's most glaring gameplay related legacy issue

KV- Do you know what the ratio is in the NBA of defensive rebounds to offensive rebounds? I have been perplexed with this issue for some time in 2k and I thought about adjusting the off/def rebound slider to be equivalent to the NBA off/def rebound ratio to see if that would balance things out. For example, if the NBA def vs. off rebound ratio was 4 def reb for every single off reb if I set defensive rebounds slider at 60 I would then set offensive rebound at 15(4 to 1). I've also wondered if offensive awareness, hands, and hustle also play a part in rebounds. I see that in most people's sliders they have offensive awareness significantly higher than defensive awareness. My line of thinking is even if you grant a significant advantage to def reb in your sliders, if you have offensive awareness higher than defensive awareness offensive players still get a higher chance to get the board.

I've also been thinking that if I lowered hands that may generate more rebounds getting tipped around rather than grabbed immediately and increasing hustle to maybe get guys who are out of position scrambling for loose balls/boards. Just thinking out loud and have not tried any of this as of yet.

Kaanyr Vhok 12-11-2019 05:56 PM

Re: The WNBA further highlights 2k's most glaring gameplay related legacy issue

Its hard to say how much you need to nerf offensive boards. I usually make offensive rebounds zero and defensive rebounds 15 or 20. I also turn hustle to 75. I do see more diving for loose balls and more tips. Seems to help Guards and Forwards. In my WNBA season the Guards and Forwards are not as far off from their average as they typically are but tall players are all killing it. Offensive rebounds are still juiced. I might bump defensive boards to 30. One of the main issues I'm seeing is how twitchy the CPU is with offensive boards. Even at zero they follow their misses in an instant and rarely fumble them.