Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   First 2k I ever uninstalled before the next one came out. (/forums/showthread.php?t=963575)

Housh123 01-19-2020 12:21 AM

First 2k I ever uninstalled before the next one came out.

Not a rant thread just feels weird to uninstall a 2k because its not fun.

The only other 2k I ever thought about uninstalling before this was whatever 2k had insane brick wall screens where ppl flew all over the court and everyone did nothing but shoot behind HOF screens.

Hate to give up on a basketball game but its just not fun

howardphillips214 01-19-2020 01:13 AM

Re: First 2k I ever uninstalled before the next one came out.

Bro... I told you. Get some friends. Squad up. You ain't never gonna have fun running with randoms all year.

ChaseB 01-19-2020 12:53 PM

MyPlayer/MyPark can drive a person to madness if it's all they're playing, so I get it.

MrWrestling3 01-20-2020 11:39 AM

Unfortunately, as other people have put it, I think it comes down to the social aspect of the game being heavily focused on.

Modes like MyTeam,Park,Rec,etc. aren't really designed to be played single player;they are primarily designed for people to play with online friends.Personally,I call this the "Facebook Design Approach" as it assumes that people have dozens (or hundreds) or buddies online they can join up with and if they don't it assumes they want to network and build a social hub with other players to build themselves a list of trusted 2K Buddies, if you will.

The downside of this is that people who for whatever reason(i.e. limited time,introverted,etc.) are not interested in networking to build an extensive friends list such that someone is always on 24/7 are pretty much left out in the cold when it comes to these type of modes.

I am not ashamed to admit I fall into this camp myself as I am an adult with a job that doesn't have the time(or patience) to network on a video game, plus I dont' really enjoy online gamer culture.I am also a loner by nature that spends all day long at work in social interactions,so by the time the day is done I just want to be left alone to relax,not pal around with people on a video game.

Unfortunately this is made worse by the video game industry in general seem to be leaning more towards the model of "gaming as a social hub" and leaning away from single player games.This is evident even within the 2K community, with the offline mode fans often saying they feel like they are stuck with stale,broken modes and ignored by 2K when it comes to fixing them.

HoustonHarden 01-20-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Housh123 (Post 2050009132)
Not a rant thread just feels weird to uninstall a 2k because its not fun.

The only other 2k I ever thought about uninstalling before this was whatever 2k had insane brick wall screens where ppl flew all over the court and everyone did nothing but shoot behind HOF screens.

Hate to give up on a basketball game but its just not fun

Sorry you got brainwashed into only enjoying created player modes. Dont feel bad 2k did it to millions of you

PillBill 01-20-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWrestling3 (Post 2050009973)
Unfortunately, as other people have put it, I think it comes down to the social aspect of the game being heavily focused on.

Modes like MyTeam,Park,Rec,etc. aren't really designed to be played single player;they are primarily designed for people to play with online friends.Personally,I call this the "Facebook Design Approach" as it assumes that people have dozens (or hundreds) or buddies online they can join up with and if they don't it assumes they want to network and build a social hub with other players to build themselves a list of trusted 2K Buddies, if you will.

The downside of this is that people who for whatever reason(i.e. limited time,introverted,etc.) are not interested in networking to build an extensive friends list such that someone is always on 24/7 are pretty much left out in the cold when it comes to these type of modes.

I am not ashamed to admit I fall into this camp myself as I am an adult with a job that doesn't have the time(or patience) to network on a video game, plus I dont' really enjoy online gamer culture.I am also a loner by nature that spends all day long at work in social interactions,so by the time the day is done I just want to be left alone to relax,not pal around with people on a video game.

Unfortunately this is made worse by the video game industry in general seem to be leaning more towards the model of "gaming as a social hub" and leaning away from single player games.This is evident even within the 2K community, with the offline mode fans often saying they feel like they are stuck with stale,broken modes and ignored by 2K when it comes to fixing them.

Facts bro. Im PNO and MLO and those modes play just like the park and rec.

They only care about the money making modes.

jfsolo 01-20-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWrestling3 (Post 2050009973)

Good Post.

Things are exacerbated by the fact that the people who are driven by the socialization/competition aspect of these games are also the ones who are going to spend a ton of extra money on the game. If somehow the solo vs CPU players were creating 60% or more of the MTX revenue then the designing, tuning, and patching of the game would of course be radically different than it is now.

MrWrestling3 01-20-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfsolo (Post 2050010120)
Good Post.

Things are exacerbated by the fact that the people who are driven by the socialization/competition aspect of these games are also the ones who are going to spend a ton of extra money on the game. If somehow the solo vs CPU players were creating 60% or more of the MTX revenue then the designing, tuning, and patching of the game would of course be radically different than it is now.

You've made some good points here.I would bet that players who enjoy the social aspect are much more likely to buy some VC,if not for anything else than for fear of "falling behind" the rest of their group.I think it is possible they may even try to talk other friends who don't have 2K into buying the game so they have people to play with,then they talk to their friends, and so on.

I think you are also right in that solo players are much more difficult to monetize.You might be able to sell them some old fashioned DLC if it featured a decent amount of new content or features, but probably not so much when it comes to endless cosmetic items and boosters.I have no doubt that if the situation were different and something like My League was driving the revenue, things would be much different....the squeaky wheel gets the grease,as they say.