Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Real football help needed...pass route vs zones related. (/forums/showthread.php?t=96393)

NoleFan 09-18-2004 12:32 PM

Real football help needed...pass route vs zones related.

I'm trying to get back into coaching because it's alot different when you had a hand in the game instead of just watching.

Anyway, what routes are good against cover 3 and cover 2 zones? The QBs are pretty nervous when it's a zone so I need to know the best routes for those zones so that I can call pass plays that have them to help out my QBs a bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rebels10 09-18-2004 01:05 PM

Re: Real football help needed...pass route vs zones related.

Hey Nole Fan, I played a qb in the italian nfl and we would run several things when a team played cover 2.

If you are looking for specific routes then try what they call a smash pass (your outside wideout runs a 5 step hitch, while the slot will a flag pattern). The qbs only needs to make the read of the corner...if he follows the hitch then the flag is open, and if he follows the slot then the hitch is open. the saftey is not a factor bc the ball needs to be thrown on the outside shoulder if it is to the slot.

#2 is a post-corner route. Once again, if the pass is to the outside shoulder then the safety cannot make a play on it.

#3 not a route, but if your team or qb struggles against the cover 2...the best way is to get them out of it. Remember your offense should dicate what happens and make the defense adjust to you. the cover 2 just is not that effective against the run. If you can run effectively they "should" come out of it...if not, then just keep running. You will move the ball and wear out the defense in the fourth quarter

Hope this helps.

NoleFan 09-18-2004 01:25 PM

I think the problem is that I don't know what the heck is going on before the snap. Last year they gave it to you because the SS would always come up when they had man coverage. The only thing I can do is tell if it's man or zone before the snap. That's important also though.

bkrich83 09-18-2004 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebels10
Hey Nole Fan, I played a qb in the italian nfl and we would run several things when a team played cover 2.

If you are looking for specific routes then try what they call a smash pass (your outside wideout runs a 5 step hitch, while the slot will a flag pattern). The qbs only needs to make the read of the corner...if he follows the hitch then the flag is open, and if he follows the slot then the hitch is open. the saftey is not a factor bc the ball needs to be thrown on the outside shoulder if it is to the slot.

#2 is a post-corner route. Once again, if the pass is to the outside shoulder then the safety cannot make a play on it.

#3 not a route, but if your team or qb struggles against the cover 2...the best way is to get them out of it. Remember your offense should dicate what happens and make the defense adjust to you. the cover 2 just is not that effective against the run. If you can run effectively they "should" come out of it...if not, then just keep running. You will move the ball and wear out the defense in the fourth quarter

Hope this helps.

Both good routes.

We also like to use a route, where both WR's run corner routes and if you have a TE that can get up the field, run him to the post. Put the safeties in a jam.

Rebels10 09-18-2004 01:31 PM

both of those routes will work verse man or zone....the post corner is nearly impossible to defend with a good pass.

try this...have your wideouts run three steps forward--start with outside foot back...on the thrid step cut 45 degrees (similiar to a slant). then, take three more steps and cut 45 degrees to the outside. Have the QB take a five step drop and all will be good. Also, have your lineman step and hinge block. If you are getting a lot of pressure just keep both HB and FB in to block.

It should work wonders...not sure what kind of offense you run, but i will speak from expeirence the west coast offense is the easiest for the qb to run--look at montana and youngs career numbers.

NoleFan 09-18-2004 01:52 PM

I think we have a problem here. I'm referring to things that I can use in NCAA 2005 to help my QB. Sorry! :D

bkrich83 09-18-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoleFan
I think we have a problem here. I'm referring to things that I can use in NCAA 2005 to help my QB. Sorry! :D

LMAO!!

NoleFan 09-18-2004 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkrich83
LMAO!!

Yeah, that is pretty funny. I can handle real life things but real life things don't often translate to the game well. :D