Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   MLB The Show 20 Defensive Fundamentals & Practice Makes "Perfect-Perfect" Livestreams Coming February 6 (/forums/showthread.php?t=964124)

Steve_OS 02-02-2020 09:36 AM

MLB The Show 20 Defensive Fundamentals & Practice Makes "Perfect-Perfect" Livestreams Coming February 6

This is just a reminder, that Sony San Diego Studios will be hosting not one, but...

Written By: Steve Noah

Click here to view the article.

countryboy 02-02-2020 09:37 AM

Re: MLB The Show 20 Reminder - 2 Livestreams on Feb 6 (Short Video)

Very much looking forward to both of these. :)

TheWarmWind 02-02-2020 09:55 AM

While the possibility of real franchise improvements are what I'm most excited for, I could see myself willing to pre-order after these streams. The subtle starts in the outfield is a little thing that is actually a huge deal for me. I've been harping on the fact that there isn't enough difference between full range and effective range for fielders for years. 19 was a big step forward, but I'm really happy to see them double down.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app

bcruise 02-02-2020 10:30 PM

So that's what Perfect-Perfect means. Interesting.

Wonder if it's a new tier of contact results above "Squared Up", or if it's just replacing that tier? I feel like it's probably the former since they're touting it as a new feature.

And if it is a contact tier that provides even higher levels of quality hits, I feel like we might be getting into "Barrels" territory here. Squared Up hits didn't have the success rate to really be considered a barrel as they're defined by Statcast - they could just as easily be hit right at an outfielder for outs way too frequently.

The defensive stuff is interesting too, although we know a little more about that now from the other trailer and the rewind. The first step animations shown in those videos could really help the game aesthetically (more variety in the animations than that same first step the fielders always took) and functionally (because if I had to guess, the reaction rating is going to play a role in what kind of starting animation a player gets).

:popcorn:

countryboy 02-03-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcruise (Post 2050018528)

Wonder if it's a new tier of contact results above "Squared Up", or if it's just replacing that tier? I feel like it's probably the former since they're touting it as a new feature.

And if it is a contact tier that provides even higher levels of quality hits, I feel like we might be getting into "Barrels" territory here. Squared Up hits didn't have the success rate to really be considered a barrel as they're defined by Statcast - they could just as easily be hit right at an outfielder for outs way too frequently.

The defensive stuff is interesting too, although we know a little more about that now from the other trailer and the rewind. The first step animations shown in those videos could really help the game aesthetically (more variety in the animations than that same first step the fielders always took) and functionally (because if I had to guess, the reaction rating is going to play a role in what kind of starting animation a player gets).

Yeah I wondered what the Perfect - Perfect alluded to and based on the brief snippet with Bellinger at the plate, it seems the success rate of perfectly timed and squared up pitches is going to be higher in '20 than previous years, which is a good thing.

Also, I'm very intrigued by the new defensive fundamentals and really looking forward to seeing what new rob homerun animations they have added to the game. Also hoping they've continued to improve the fielder versus wall animations so they look cleaner, smoother, and more dynamic.

Looking forward to Thursday. :popcorn:

TheWarmWind 02-03-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcruise (Post 2050018528)

I'm a bit worried about it to be honest, I liked the fact that there were never any guaranteed results. Attributes got the ball off the bat, but once it left it was all physics. I feel like subtle starts and more fielder differentiation in the outfield will help a lot more with those line drives near an outfielder.

I hope this more applies to zone hitting and doesn't really impact directional.

jcar0725 02-03-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWarmWind (Post 2050018707)
I'm a bit worried about it to be honest, I liked the fact that there were never any guaranteed results. Attributes got the ball off the bat, but once it left it was all physics. I feel like subtle starts and more fielder differentiation in the outfield will help a lot more with those line drives near an outfielder.

I hope this more applies to zone hitting and doesn't really impact directional.

Agreed sounds too arcadey to me.

StateoftheFranchise 02-03-2020 11:18 AM

Now if they can get the 'Perfect' sound effect from Street Fighter I'd be elated 😂