Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show Sliders (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=579)
-   -   Armor & Swords MLB The Show 20 Classic/Directional Clean Screen Simulation Sliders (/forums/showthread.php?t=965858)

Armor and Sword 03-10-2020 04:10 PM

Armor & Swords MLB The Show 20 Classic/Directional Simulation Sliders

Hello OS Show Nation!!! Wow.....another cycle has passed and we are ready for the final version on the PS4! Amazing how quick it has gone. But each and every year we have gotten improved gameplay, vastly improved fielding animations and ball physics as well as excellent audio and ballpark ambience.

MLB 20 promises to be another subtle advancement from the fantastic MLB 19 in terms of improved tagging, more unique OF breaks on hit balls, and again enhanced throwing and fielding animations.

For all of those who have used my sliders in the past you know the drill. We play with a totally clean screen. No visual aides what so ever, utilizing the Classic pitching and Directional hitting interfaces.

When you dive into my approach at playing MLB The Show keep an open mind. Dare yourself to dream of playing every pitch of every inning so the magic of baseball can unfold for you over the course of this cycle. I can assure you if can make an effort to play at least 120-162 games you will get the full monty of what makes MLB The Show the greatest console sports game on the planet. The “little things” really shine and you will see things in game 100 that you never saw in the previous 99. Believe me, trust me and dive in. Endure a month long cold spell at the plate. Endure a month long shellacking of your pitching staff as you grasp at reasons of WTF is going on.....that will make that 15 game winning streak, that 10 game hitting streak, that monster run of scoring 50 runs in 6 games, that 3 HR game, hitting for the cycle, getting to the post season, WINNING THE WORLD SERIES that much sweeter.

Trust the settings, trust the dice rolls, and try to get better!

1. Sample size - Please play 25-35 games before jumping off a bridge because you can’t hit or pitch. Also be honest with yourself about your skill level and ability. Especially when it comes to hitting. The Show emulates hitting so well. And guess what? It is the hardest thing to do in all of sports. That is why we have guys playing football on Sundays (they cannot hit a 95 MPH fastball nor want any part of standing in the dish facing that kind of heat coming at their head). Adjust pitch speed down or up if you find it too difficult or too easy.

2. Buy into the clean screen approach and embrace this way of playing - Turn off those visual guides, cues and arrows. Do not use guess pitch. It all makes you a lousy player. Learn how to play baseball. Use your eye’s and instinct’s. Sit on pitches, have patience at the plate, learn what good pitch sequencing is all about when you are on the bump. This is not an entry level way of playing. Clean screen is hardcore simulation style baseball. Our timing and our IQ coupled with player ratings determines our ultimate success.

Version 3.0 2/12/23

Settings:

Batting and Baserunning:

Hitting Difficulty: HOF

Hitting Interface Directional (Timed)

Input Type - Buttons

Plate Coverage Indicator - Off

Camera Shift - Off

In-Play View Offense - Broadcast

Hitting View: Fisheye (Users Choice)

Ball Trail - Off

Button Interface: Classic

Guess Pitch: Off

Baserunner Interface: Default

Baserunning Decisions: Assist

Sliding Decisions: Assist

Runner Window: Off (Much more challenging and rewarding plus cleaner screen)

Pitching:

Pitching Difficulty: HOF

Pitching Interface: Classic

Pitching View: Broadcast

Pitching Ball Marker: Off ("On" for those that struggle with it off)

Pitch Confidence: On

Pitch Delay: Normal

API: Default

Fielding:

Throwing Interface: Buttons

Throwing Meter: Off

Throwing Difficulty: NA

Throwing Decision: Off

Throw Canceling: On

Fielding Decision: Auto

Defensive Shift: Manual

All Indicators - off

Fielding View Offense: Broadcast

Fielding View Defense: Broadcast

General

Strike Zone: Off

Hot Zones: Off

Warm Up Relievers - On

Balks: Off

Tutorial Tips - Off

Post Game Auto Save - Off

Umpire Balls and Strikes: Personalized

Umpire Close Plays: On

Check Swing Appeals: On

Injuries: On

Ejections: On

Scorebar Display - On

Pitch Select Display - Off

Swing/Pitch Info - Off

Vibration - Off

Game Log Order - Default

Presentation Options

Presentation Mode - Broadcast

Pre Pitch Cameras - Batting Only

Frequency - High Leverage

Batter Walkup - On

In-game Ticker - On

Closed Captioning - Off

Mode Updates - Occasional

MLB.com Updates - On

Gameplay Sliders

Dynamic Difficulty Sensitivity - user choice ( I do not use it)

Human Contact - 5

Human Power - 4

Human Timing - 5

Stride Difficulty - 5

Human Foul Frequency - 5

Human Solid Hits - 4

Human Starter Stamina - 8

Human Reliever Stamina - 5 (-3)

Human Pitcher Control - 6

Human Pitcher Consistency - 6

CPU Contact - 5

CPU Power - 4

CPU Timing - 5

CPU Foul Frequency - 4

CPU Solid Hits - 4

CPU Starter Stamina - 8

CPU Reliever Stamina - 5 (-3)

CPU Pitcher Control - 5

CPU Pitcher Consistency - 6

CPU Strike Frequency - 5

CPU Manager Hook - 4 (+1)

CPU Pickoffs - 5

Fastball Pitch Speed - 9 (user preference)

Off speed Pitch Speed - 9 (user preference)

Fielding Errors Infield - 5

Fielding Errors Outfield - 5

Throwing Errors Infield - 5

Throwing Errors Outfield - 5

Fielder Run Speed - 4

Fielder Reaction - 4

Fielder Arm Strength Infield - 5

Fielder Arm Strength Outfield - 5

Baserunner Speed - 5

Baserunner Steal Ability - 6

Baserunner Steal Frequency - 6

Wind - 5

Injuries - 10 using 30 team control for played games 6 when you simulate games around the league before your game and 6 when you advance to the next day or simulate games, quick manage etc.

Injuries using Bacons Fictional Roster - 6

Injuries using Single Team Control - 7

Trade Slider 5 - April

Trade Slider 5 - May

Trade Slider 6 - June

Trade Slider 10 - July,

Trade Slider 5 - August

Trade Slider 5 - September

Trade Slider 5 - October

Trade Slider 10 - November thru February

Trade Slider 7 - Spring Training

For those looking to curb HR’s

CPU/HUM Power both set to 4

For those looking to curb HR’s and exit velocity (less perfect/perfect hit balls)

CPU/HUM Power both at 4

CPU/HUM Timing both at 4

Classic Roster adjustments for use with 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s classic roster season play!!

HUM/CPU Power 5

HUM/CPU Pitcher Stamina 8

HUM/CPU Reliever Stamina 6 (-2)

CPU Pitcher Hook 3 (+1)

Armor’s True Classic Clean Screen Approach
[/size]

For the ultimate in simulation and challenge here is the way I play The Show with classic pitching vs the CPU.

OK so here is the deal on turning off the R2/pitch types button showing on screen.

All you need to do to see your pitchers repertoire is press right on the d-pad and hit R1 and you will see in order his pitch selection (and you can access this screen to see his strike % throughout the game with his various pitches to see how he is dealing and this eliminates the crutch of the pitch confidence display explained later)

So you press d-pad left and then R1 and see this:

1.4FB

2.SL

3.SPL

4.CHG

That means:

4FB = X = 1 finger

SL = O = 2 fingers

SPL = Triangle = 3 fingers

CHG = Square = 4 fingers

4 Fingers and wiggle means his 5th pitch (R1)

Now you know his best to weakest.

Watch the catcher....if he has 2 fingers showing he wants you to throw a Slider. If he shows 4 fingers he wants a Change up.

I typically allow my catcher to call some of my pitches for me. But I will overrule him often when I want. If you want to see where he wants it pull back R2 and the location icon will flash. The catcher also will sometimes just pat his mitt and/or point inside or outside and I will just aim to that area of the zone (or out of it). Or again I will shake him off. Remember if your controller rumbles while your picking your location the marker (which you can't see) is out of the strike zone. A slight rumble is barely out of the zone..and strong rumble is way out of the zone. I do start pitches out of the zone like sliders, cutters splitters etc and they come back in based on the break and spin. It takes practice....but it is well worth the reward.

Now if your pitcher has 5 pitches 4 fingers and a wiggle will mean the pitch assigned to the R1 button.

Another cool thing is you no longer see a pitchers confidence in any particular pitch. Again simply press d-pad left and R1 once and you can see each pitch and the strike %. The more strikes you have thrown with a pitch the higher the confidence level will be in that pitch.

When you have played the game as long as I have....you know if your throwing a certain pitch for strikes a lot...they will have a lot more confidence in it. I am at a stage with this game where I don't need many visual aides. But if your not there yet turn the pitch type screen back.....play the game the way your comfortable playing it.

I will tell you though the layers of simulation by pitching this way is amazing and fun. Turning the ball marker off and no controller vibration also truly makes it challenging and realistic. Sometimes your pitches will not go where you want them.

Just like IRL!!!

Give this a shot. I have a feeling you will love it. It will take some getting used to...but after a dozen to a couple of dozen games you will be in the groove.

My good friend and fellow slider guru Josh1977 had some nice input about classic pitching so check this stuff out below as well.

"That said, you definitely have some control over pitch outcome. How long you hold the button matters. It affects pitch speed, command, and the amount of break on breaking pitches. It just isn't 'push a button and go'...there is far more subtlety in it. In fact, if you simply tap the button, it is an excellent way to get shelled".

When pitching in classic, you have about a 1 second time period before you get the controller vibration (i.e. max-effort). The following are my observations...

Max effort pitches (holding the button down till the vibration) result in the following:

More velocity

Less control

A sharper break on breaking pitches

Pitches tend to rise more

Minimum effort pitches (tapping the button) results in the following:

Less velocity

Better control

"Loopier" breaking balls (especially curves/sliders

Pitches sink more (due to lower velo) - changeups will pretty constantly wind up in the dirt

In many cases, an "intermediate" duration is optimal. However, you can vary this from pitch to pitch (i.e. like a pitcher adding/subtracting from the speed of the pitch). This is a tremendous way to keep hitters off-balance to help to avoid them getting solid contact/timing.

This is just a basic overview...I'm sure there are more subtleties involved.

Armor's Directional Hitting Approach

It is all situational for me. So many factors depending on the type of hitter, counts, situation, score etc etc.

First off as far as swing types and counts:

Normal Swing:

0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-1, 2-2, 3-2

Contact swing

All Pitchers

0-2, 1-2,

2-2, 3-2

Situational - with weaker hitters to make contact and move runners or sacrifice fly.

Power Swing only with my very best power hitters when I typically have no one on with no outs or no one on with 2 outs.

0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 (green light) 3-1 counts.

Directional strategy:

I position the LS pre pitch and hold throughout the swing however as you know I do not use the visual aide showing the influence (don't need it).

Dead Pull Contact Hitters if the situation calls for a pull

LS at the 9 o'clock for RH 3 o'clock for left handers

Hitters counts only 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-1

Pull Power Hitters with normal swing

LS position

10/11 o'clock positions for RH hitters

1/2 o'clock for LH hitters

Opposite field strategy for RH hitters so I can hit behind the runner...early in counts and hitter counts (0-0, 1-0, 2-0 or 3-1) LS is at 3'clock for LH hitters at 9 o'clock

If I get into a pitchers count or neutral count (0-1, 0-2, 1-1, 2-2, 3-2) I do not use stick influence but I allow the ball to travel deep so I can either slap it the other way or fight it off.

When I simply want to induce a sac fly or ground ball....LS in 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock respectively in hitters counts only.

So I think you can see my approach. In hitters counts I can be far more selective with my pitches and use the LS influence. Basically depending on what I want to do I am looking for one pitch in one spot on 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-1 counts (I rarely green light on 3-0 unless I am up big or down big or have a gut feeling). When I am in pitchers counts or neutral accounts I am simply using my normal or contact swing with no stick influence as I am in battle mode and trying to work the count.

I hope that gives you a good idea of my approach at the dish.

[COLOR=“DarkRed"]
Armors 30 Team Control Manifesto
[/color]

So folks I seem to always get a lot of questions around 30 team control, is it for me, how much control do you use, why do you use it etc. So I want to talk about the why, how and pretty much what I do personally with my 30 team control universe in my proper 2017 Yankees Franchise and my Year 3 1987 Yankees Franchise The Quest For Donny Baseball.

Why 30 team control? Well for me it comes down to these 3 key points

1) Lineup integrity and control - I want to make sure lineups are logical and maximizing every teams talent. This is subjective to the player as well. What I may think makes sense, you may do something differently. Always remember it is your universe and you can shape it any way you want.

2) Trade Czar - I love trading. But I hate dumb trades, like real doozy type trades that make no sense for the present or the future. And they do sometimes occur....of course it's totaly IMO. So if I see a trade that fit's my definition of "being bent over with no lube" I will simply reverse it. Now in the past we had a trade delay option. But for programming reasons (it was causing some issues in the trade engine apparently) it was removed on MLB 16. So to reverse a doozy of a deal simply trade the assets back to each respective team. The team that clearly got the strong side of the deal is the one you should propose the trade back to the team that was fleeced.

3) 40 Man Roster Integrity - I make sure I stay on top of each teams 40 man roster in terms of "A" and "B" prospects. Why? I don't want legit "A" and "B" prospects who are developing nicely to be exposed to the "Rule 5" draft. So Before September I make sure (and of course before the regular season starts) I go through each teams 40 and check out their "top" prospects and make sure I get them on the 40 man roster (if they are not on it) to protect them from exposure to the Rule 5 draft. Of course sometimes there is not enough room, because you do need a good mix of veterans at the AAA level to be on call for potential injuries. So this is a GM aspect I like to do. Plus it get's me familiar with every teams minor league system.

So I create one profile for my club with everything set to manual and then I have a profile called "CPU Franchise" which I assign to every team I do not want full control over.

Everything on this CPU Franchise profile is set to Auto except:

Lineups

40 Man Roster

I do not resign the other 29 teams free agents, I do not manage their injuries (I just stay on top of their lineups so if an injury occurs at the big league level and I do not agree with their call-up replacement or lineups with new player inserted I correct it to my liking).

Again, it is about options and the ability to step in when I want/need to. I do not get overwhelmed with doing player training or scouting for the other 29 teams.

I simply just manage those 3 things I mentioned above.

And of course another perk is if I want to switch teams in a franchise at anytime....I can.

So here is my daily method with 30 team control

Simulate all games on the schedule for the day except my game. That way all the scores show up on my ticker when I play my game.

Monthly I will check every team's stat's, see who is performing well etc and I may make some lineup adjustments to other teams to capitalize on players performing better than expected.

Again it is your universe. Have fun with it. And don't over think it

Trades for your team - So one thing I have in place is a house rule where I only trade with other teams for players that are strictly on the trading block until the month of July (when my storylines will take over as I check standings and teams goals, budget etc etc). Unless a team comes to me with an offer with a player/players not on their trading block, I limit myself to that rule. Some exceptions I will make is if I am trying to make a blockbuster multi star player deal and of course I do not fleece the CPU. What's the fun in that? Maybe it is for you and you can do whatever you want, but for me, I like to keep it grounded and more realistic. With that I do have storylines that will occur in the natural progression of my team and I may move a guy because of it. And again.....Trade deadline and Winter meetings I will look at the league and make logical deals and blockbuster trades as well and keep my league fresh and vibrant.

UPDATE MID-SEASON CONTRACT EXTENSIONS WITH 30 TEAM CONTROL

Before July 31st (End of the trade deadline and after all trades have been consummated by all teams) I go to each team and look at their top 3 players up for an extension that are not arbitration eligible and not a renewable contract.

I use a random number generator:

0-33 I extend them to the max green contract demands they have in years in dollars.

34-100 whatever happens…..happens.

I only do this mid season every year.

Works nicely.

Player Editing Within Your Franchise Universe

So Warmwind has a nice set of house rules that I will begin employing in my off-seasons moving forward (30 team control only). Read below. I think it has great idea’s and will make your franchises far more dynamic!

I do edits, but based on rules.

1. I make position edits based on needs and profiles all the time. There are no consequences for doing this.

2. I'm allowed to trade 1 for 1 between a pitcher's durability and their stamina, but only during the off season. This can coincide with a position edit (RP to SP for example).

3. All players must be allowed to regress without edits if they are having a bad year.

4. For players under 34, I'm allowed to counteract regression, but only if they are having a good year.

5. For players under 36, I'm allowed to counteract half of the regression, but only if they are having a good year.

6. For players of any age, I'm allowed to counteract regression using a trade system, where points from one attribute are traded into another in order to keep it up. This can ONLY be used to counteract regression, cannot be used to boost an attribute higher then where it started the year at. Points taken from Durability are worth double, but it also costs double to keep Durability up.

Have fun with it guys!

New 30 team control fatigue injury system generator

So we were chatting with Bacon and other Bacon franchise players about how MLB The Show’s injury system does not have enough “result of the grind” injuries for position players and pitchers. So we came up with this random number dice roll system that you can implement. I think it is a great way to really add a nice layer of strategy to your 162 game franchise and post season if you make it that far. So here is how it works. And it really takes less than 2 minutes to do for a player or pitcher in question.

Position Players:

If you ever get the notification from your coaching staff that a player can use a day off and you decide to ignore that and play them you take the risk of a minor to major injury. Of course if the game itself doles out an injury to them in the actual game.....well....go with it. So here is how it works. It is based on your players durability rating and two random dice rolls using:

https://www.random.org

When using the above random number generator (which you will find on the right side) set it from 0-100

Here is the Injury Matrix for both OSFM/SDS Rosters and a separate Matrix for Bacon’s Fictional Roster (which has universally lower Durability Ratings):

Durability Rating/dice roll results

90+ = 0-10 results in injury

80-89 = 0-20 results in injury

70-79 = 0-25 results in injury

60-78 = 0-33 results in injury

45-59 = 0-45 results in injury

0-45 = 0-50 results in injury

Bacon’s Roster Matrix:

Durability Rating/Dice Roll Results:

85+ = 0-5 results in injury

70-84 = 0-10 results in injury

55-69 = 0-25 results in injury

35-54 = 0-35 results in injury

34 or below = 0-50 results in injury

Injury severity scale (you can assign whatever injury type you want based on length)

Dice roll/results

0-35 results in 7-10 day injury

36-50 results in 14-20 day injury

51-75 results in 20-45 day injury

76-86 results in 60 day plus injury

87-99 results in “out for the season”

Pitchers are a little tricky and require some effort on your part. Again this is entirely up to you. But this adds another layer of strategy and creates more storylines for your universe!

Starting Pitchers. When you start your game simply check your starting pitchers energy bar before you throw the first pitch. If the energy bar is less than full this could result in a fatigue like injury. So if you decide to use a starter with less than a full energy bar and he pitches 5 full innings or 80 pitches (whichever is higher and by that I mean if he goes 6 innings and 79 pitches you are good, but if he goes 7 innings and 80 pitches he goes into the injury Matrix below):

Pitcher Durability scale/result

80-100 :0-10 will result in miss next start

70-79 :0-15 will result in miss next start

60-69 :0-20 will result in miss next start

0-59 :0-35 will result in miss next start

For your bullpen. This will require you to eyeball this. And again it is up to you.

First off. A universal rule I use is if a guy is used 3 straight days they automatically go into the injury Matrix.

With your bullpen just use the same exact scale for starters and use it only if their energy bar is 70% or less. Their missed time will be 7-10 days if they get the dice roll not in their favor.

Coachmod’s card modifier system (adopted from his MLB 18 slider set).

OS member Coachmod came up with this really awesome card modifier system you can use before every game in your franchise. I am adopting it along with Dowies Wind Random Number modification. Please reference just the card results below and ignore his slider settings as this will work terrific with the slider set as well. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask in the thread. Please do note if you have a rain game adjust wind and throwing errors plus one (for both the CPU and HUM) in addition to any other modifiers you have after you draw your three cards for that game and also for your mod game wind RNG as well.

Dowies Wind Modifier System

A very simply random number check when you get to the 5th innings. Use random.org and generate a number between 1-10 and use the table below:

1-3 Move Wind Slider to 2

4-7 Stays at 5

8-10 Move to 10

If it is a rain game move wind slider and throwing errors for both HUM/CPU up +1. Then do a Wind check in the top of the 5th and if it is raining the modifier will be in addition to the rain mod of +1 (so if the number comes up 1 2 or 3 and it is a rain game your wind slider goes from 6 down to 3 keeping that +1 for the rain, if it was not a rain game the wind slider would go down to two for the same result).

Mikeyo918’s 30 Team Control Sponsership Method and Approach

WILL ONLY WORK WITH 30 TEAM CONTROL

1. NYY - Earnings 12 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 25K/game, Active replay - 2.5K/hit, Walk up - 40K/win

2. LAD - Earnings 12.1 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 25k/game, Active replay - 2.5K/hit, Walk up - 40K/win

3. BOS - Earnings 7.5 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 2.5K/hit

4. CHC - Earnings 8.6 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 3.5K/strikeout

5. SFG - Earnings 7.8 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)

6. NYM - Earnings 7.2 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 40K/win

7. STL - Earnings 8.7 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)

8. LAA - Earnings 7.6 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 2.5K/hit

9. PHI - Earnings 7.4 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 40K/win

10. HOU - Earnings 8.1 MIL (1 diamond/1 gold)

In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 15K/homerun

11. WAS - Earnings 6.8 MIL (1 diamond/1 gold)

In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 2K/hit

12. ATL - Earnings 6.1 MIL (all golds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 2K/hit

13. TEX - Earnings 5.8 MIL (all golds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 2K/hit

14. CWS - Earnings 6.8 MIL (all golds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 15K/homerun

15. SEA- Earnings 5.5 MIL (all golds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 55K/save

16. TOR - Earnings 4.8 MIL (all golds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 15K/double play

17. SDP - Earnings 5.2 MIL (all golds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 3.5K/run

18. ARI - Earnings 5.6 MIL (all golds for sponsor)

In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 20K/stolen base

19. BAL - Earnings 4.4 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)

In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 1.5K/hit

20. PIT - Earnings 3.7 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)

In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 20K/win

21. DET- Earnings 3.8 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)

In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 10K/homerun

22. COL - Earnings 4 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)

In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 2.5K/run

23. MIN - Earnings 5 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)

In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 10K/homerun

24. MIL - Earnings 4.5 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)

In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 1.5K/hit

25. CLE - Earnings 3.3 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)

In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 10K/double play

26. OAK - Earnings 3.5 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)

In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 15K/stolen base

27. CIN - Earnings 4.4 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)

In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 1.5K/homerun

28. KC - Earnings 2.4 MIL (1 silver sponsor)

In game ticker - 15K/game

29. TB - Earnings 2.4 MIL (1 silver sponsor)

In game ticker -15K/game

30. MIA - Earnings 2.4 MIL (1 silver sponsor)

In game ticker - 15K/game

Armor and Sword 03-10-2020 04:11 PM

Re: Armor & Swords MLB The Show 20 Classic/Directional Clean Screen Simulation Slider

2017 New York Yankees Year 7 (2023) Franchise News Wire

World Series Champions 2018, 2020, 2021

The Yankees are coming into 2022 fresh off their heartbreaking post season elimination in the ALDS at the hand of the Boston Red Sox. This ended the dream of becoming the first three peat Yankee team since the Jeter led Yankees in 1998, 1999 and 2000 While most of the team is returning there are some new faces to talk about, especially in the pitching staff!

SP - Mel Sands - Mel Sands has made the big club in only his 3rd year since being drafted. Sands brings special stuff as a rookie. An old school delivery that harkens back to Fernando Valenzuela Sands has burst onto the scene and is currently slotted in the 4th spot in the rotation. His spring was that impressive. He brings a 3 digit fastball an effective changeup and solid curve ball. Big things are being expected out of the young hurler in 2023.

SP - Joey Wentz - Joey came to the Yankees via trade (along with RP Chris Shoemaker) two years ago. They are both on the staff for 2023. Joey is a big man. 6’7’ with electric stuff and is currently our 5th starter.

SP - Joel Cardenas - Although Joel has been on the staff the past two seasons as a long reliever and 5th starter last season he has stepped up to the 3rd spot in the rotation after taking a big step in his development. The Cuban born 2017 1st rounder is expected to have a career year in 2023.

In our next installment we will go over the bullpen and positional players.

We are almost into May and we will have a monthly April recap in a few weeks!!!

Armor and Sword 03-10-2020 04:12 PM

Re: Armor & Swords MLB The Show 20 Classic/Directional Clean Screen Simulation Slider

1990-2007 Fantasy Flashback S.F. Giants Year 2 News Wire

A little background on this franchise. Back on MLB 17 a really awesome roster was released in the vault by A_Hamilton1791 better known on OS as J_smith2190

What he did was create a roster filled with players from the 1990-2007 era of baseball at various points in their career. So the roster is really balanced, filled with aging vets from the 1980’s, in their prime players of the 90’s, and tons of great prospects who later become monsters of the 2010’s.

I was able to draft a really dynamic team on MLB 17 and decided to use the S.F. Giants as my team. I started Year 1 on MLB 17 and then moved it over to MLB 18 where it sat idle for a little while. I finally finished Year 1 on 18...advanced to the off-season and got it to 2018 in January where I was able to move it to MLB 19 and right to 20 where I advanced it to the 2018 (Year 2) season.

I have already started it on MLB 20 and there are streams of all 6 of our games thus far. I will be doing franchise updates on this thread in this post as this team is truly unique and quite frankly a lot of fun!!

We have a robust farm system. I was able to draft a lot of great prospects and because I went for more depth in my farm system we finished 80-82 in Year 1. But boy oh boy did we get some great progression up and down the lineup and down on the farm.

I will post a “Meet the Team” listing our MLB squad and all our top prospects. We will have a news wire just like we have for our Year 5 Yankees franchise.

And of course we will be streaming the majority of our games on Twitch. Join me for a really fun fantasy franchise!!! I think These Giants have a real shot at becoming a dynasty!!

Year 2 Season Preview

The year is 2018 and The Fantasy Flashback Giants are coming off a tough Year 1 finishing 80-82 and out of the Post Season. However the team was contstructed with the future in mind and after a long off-season.....the future is now. Let’s take a look at the teams makeup with their 26 man roster heading into Year 2 (2018) and the expectations.

1B - Kevin Youkilis (Age 29/B Potential) - Youk is considered one of the veterans here in the Bay Area. You hit .298 in YR1 with 19 dingers and 85 RBI’s. So a solid first season with the club. Expect Youk to again have a very solid season as he is a reliable high contact hitter with sneaky power and a lot of clutch factor. Kevin has one more of ARB (2019) before he becomes a free agent in 2020

2B - Homer Bush (Age 29/B Potential) - Homer was one of the surprise players for the Giants last season. He managed to hit .267 with 10 HR’s and 47 RBI and he also stole 18 bases. He was a reliable defensive player as well. Bush will again be the starting 2B heading into YR2 and the team has a very raw but talented Dustin Pedroia (Age 22/A potential) down in AAA waiting in the wings. Homer’s contract is very cap friendly with 17MM remaining over the next 4 seasons thru 2022.

3B - Miguel Carbrera (Age 25/A Potential) - Miggy is one of the cornerstone pieces of the team, so much so the Giants rewarded him with a lucrative back loaded extension in Spring Training. He inked a 7 year 217MM extension. In YR1 he hit .250 but added 29 HR’s and 96 RBI. The Giants are expecting bigger and better things from their future All-Star 3B.

SS - Derek Jeter (Age 24/A Potential) - The Captain finds himself in unfamiliar colors here in this fantasy universe, but we are happy to have this lynch pin leading the infield. Derek is a hard nosed winner. With great contact and good speed....his defensive skills are outstanding. He had a quiet Year 1 though. Hitting only .260 with 3HR and 49 RBI. He did steal 17 bases and scored 60 runs. Bigger and better things are expected moving forward. He is under team control thru 2022.

C - Doug Mirabelli and George Williams (Age 31/Age 29/C Potential) - We have a catcher platoon in YR2 with Mirabelli and Williams. Both are solid defensively but not much is expected offensively. Mirabelli showed some pop in Year 1 hitting 12 dingers (43 RBI) and hitting .263 while Williams only appeared for 21 AB’s as he was out with a serious knee injury Year 1. Down on the farm though the Giants are waiting on Miguel Montero (Age 24/B Potential). Currently in AA with the Flying Squirrels, he is expected to take over in Year 3 and could be called up at some point this season if he performs well at the AA level. This is a position to keep an eye on as the season moves forward.

CF - Ken Griffey Jr (Age 28/A Potential) - Another cornerstone player on the Giants, Jr is a beast. Even more great is his team friendly contract of 47.5MM over the next 5 seasons. He will be 32 when his contract will be up for extension. Ken hit .284 with 32 HR and 83 RBI in Year 1 and he is being looked to as a huge contributor. It is a joy to watch him play.

LF - Tim Raines/Eric Davis (Age 38/Age36) - Here we have two former All-Stars from the 80’s playing out their final year for the Giants. Davis and Raines are in a full blown platoon with Eric playing vs RHP and The Rock playing vs LHP. In YR 1 Davis had a productive season hitting.277 with 12 HR’s and an impressive 60 RBI’s. He also swiped 11 bags and scored 47 runs. Raines had a very tough 2017 hitting only .226 with just 16 RBI’s and no HR. However he was battling injuries and is completely healthy for the 2018 campaign. The farm is rich with OF prospects. Ryan Braun (Age 24/A Potential), Carlos Gomez (Age 22/A Potential), Lorenzo Cain (Age 22/B Potential) are waiting in the wings to join Griffey Jr on the big club in 2019.

RF - Ichiro Suzuki (Age 28/A Potential) - Ichiro as he is known is another key piece to the Giants Puzzle. Year one saw the great Japanese import hit .291 with 12 HR 60 RBI and 40 SB.he led the team in doubles with 51 and also scored 83 runs. The Giants expect him to have an even better 2018. He is under team control thru the 2022 season. He will be 33 when contract extension time comes around.

The Giants also have:

3B Evan Longoria (Age 22/A Potential) and Ultra Utility man (SS,2B,1B,3B,OF) Ben Zobrist (Age 27/B Potential) on the big club. At some point Longoria will take over at 3B and we can see Carbrea moving over to 1B if Youk moves on and is not extended in 2020. This will play out and it will be interesting to see.

Now let’s move on to a great strength of this team as well. The pitching staff.

MLB Rotation:

Justin Verlander - (Age 23/A Potential) - Justin started 24 games as a rookie in YR1 and went 7-6 with a 4.31 ERA. He had a nice progression bump (as did a lot of our young players) and was named the Opening Day Starter for YR2. Justin is under team control thru 2023.

Josh Beckett - (Age 26/B Potential) - Josh was the lead dog in YR1. He would start 32 games going 10-11 with a 3.94 ERA with a 1.35 WHIP. in 198 Innings pitched he had 194 K’s and walked 64. Beckett’s stuff is wicked and he is looking for a new contract extension in the neighborhood of 18MM per season or more. It is believed the Giants are in a great position to give him that and are expected to re-sign him for the long haul.

A.J. Burnett - (Age 29/B Potential) - AJ may have the best stuff on the staff. He had a injury riddled YR1 missing most of the season with a torn shoulder. Fully rehab’d and back in the fold AJ is the teams #3 starter. His contract is ultra team friendly as he is signed thru 2022 at just 4.1M per season. So the hope is AJ can give us #2 starter type production as our #3 in the rotation and of course we hope he can stay healthy long term.

Adam Wainwright - (Age 26/A Potential) - Adam was this teams best starter in YR1. Compiling a team best 16 wins (16-11) and throwing a team high 221 innings Adam was mature beyond his years. A 1.19 WHIP and 154 K’s paced his season. A luxury and incredibly our 4th starter in the rotation. Adam is under team control thru 2021.

David Price - (Age 20/A Potential) - David only appeared in 9 games in YR1 as a long reliever. He got knocked around pretty good too going 0-1 with a fat 7.41 ERA. However he had a great spring training and earned the 5th spot. How long he can hold onto that remains to be seen as many pundits around the league feel he is still too young and raw for big league action.

Oliver Perez - (Age 26/B Potential) - Oliver is the teams long reliever/spot starter and is waiting in the wings if indeed Price can’t handle The Show just yet. He is completely out of options so the team can’t ever send him down again as he will certainly be claimed if he is ever DFA.

Down on the Farm the Giants have these starting pitching prospects:

Edwin Gonzalez (Age 25/A Potential)
Ublado Jimenez (Age 24/B Potential)
Greg Smith (Age 24/C Potential)
Tomo Ohka (Age 26/C Potential)
Kevin Chamberlin (Age 18/C Potential)
Jeff Samardzija (Age 23/B Potential)
Corey Kluber (Age 22/A Potential)
Johan Guzman (Age 19/B Potential)

The Bullpen is also solid. Here is our Big League Pen:

RP Neal Cotts - (Age 26/C POT)
RP Paul Quantrill - (Age 29/B POT)
RP Jon Rauch - (Age 29/B POT)
SU Joel Zumaya - (Age 23/B POT)
RP Tony Pena - (Age 26/C POT)
CP Matt Mantei - (Age 28/B POT)
CP Jose Valverde - (Age 28/B POT)

So there you have it folks. A strong, young squad built to win this season and beyond. Stay tuned to this thread for season updates all year long as we look to make a strong Post Season push in Year 2 (2018)!!!!

The 1990-2007 Fantasy Flashback S.F. Giants are in Full Swing!!!

Year 2 Around The League Season Preview

Fantasy Flashback Fans here is a sneak peak into each division and who the contenders are!!

A.L. East Preview

Baltimore Orioles - The O’s have some great veteran talent on the roster. Led by veteran SS Barry Larkin (Age 34) the O’s will look to try and contend in 2018. Larry Walker (Age 31), Mark Teixeira (Age 28) add the power while Brandon Phillips (Age 27) and Mark Kotsay (Age 30) add the contact. The strength of this team is the top 3 in their rotation of Roy Hallyday, Tim Hudson and Jon Lieber and closer Troy Percival

Boston Red Sox - The Red Sox have a strong pitching staff with Ben Sheets, Jeremy Bonderman, Chuck Smith and Tom Glavine. Closer Trevor Hoffman is there to close games out. On the offensive side of things Boston has some serious fire power in Juan Gonzalez, Carlos Delgado, Josh Hamilton and Paul Lo Duca.

New York Yankees - Rickey Henderson set’s the tone for this squad offensively. He is coming off a great 2017 hitting 18 dingers and swiping 54 bases. He hit .277. The Yankees have a young Ryan Howard in the 4 hole with youngsters Victor Martinez and Aramis Ramirez right behind him. Mike Cameron rounds out the offense with great speed as well. Pitching is also decent with young starters Shane Reynolds and James Shields.

Tampa Bay Rays - The Rays will struggle. Pitching is old with Dave Cone and just average with Yovani Gallardo, Carlos Perez and Edinson Volquez and old time closer Rod Beck. The offense though is exciting with Shane Victorino, Vinny Castilla, Matt Williams, Preston Wilson, Miguel Tejada, Alfonso Soriano and John Olerud. So it will be interesting to see if the offense can overcome some average pitching in this division.

Toronto Blue Jays - The Jays have the best catcher in the league in Pudge Rodriguez. At just 26 years old he will be a cornerstone player for them for years.Add into the mix J.D. Drew (26 Years Old), Garret Anderson and add in a 23 year old Jimmy Rollins the Jays have some firepower. Top starters Mark Buehrle, Kevin Millwood and Jon Garland pace the staff with Closer Eric Gagne.

A.L. Central Preview

Chicago White Sox - Carlos Beltran, Magglio Ordonez, Ryan Klesko and Pat Burrell pace the offense while Cole Hamels, Kevin Appier and Jeff Weaver pace the starting rotation. Stand Belinda and Rick Aguilera are your top bullpen arms.

Cleveland Indians - The Tribe has decent to good pitching with Andy Bene, Alan Bene, Pat Hentgen and Randy Wold in the rotation. The Bullpen is where things get tough. There have no clear cut dominant closer or set up guys. Offensively Jim Thome is there clear superstar and Jeromy Burnitz would be their next best hitter along with Jose Vidro. The Tribe are probably in for along season.

Detroit Tigers - This is an exciting lineup with David Eckstein, David Wright, Mike Sweeney, Jose Cruz and Jeff Kent leading the roar. They have an aging but still effective power bat in Jose Canseco. Pitching is very good. John Smoltz, Josh Johnson and Ben McDonald lead the team and the bullpen is rock solid with John Wetteland, Michael Jackson and Robeto Hernandez. The Tigers should make a lot of noise this season in the Central.

K.C. Royals - The Royals have a nice mix of youth and veterans on offense. Mike Piazza, Cliff Floyd, Vernon Wells, Paul Konerko and Ken Caminiti do the heavy lifting with Jose Offerman at the top setting the pace. Pitching is good with Joel Pineiro, Mark Prior, Joe Mays and Scott Erickson in the rotation. The Bullpen is also good with Francisco Cordero at closer and a young flame thrower in Ugueth Urbina in the set up role.

Minnesota Twins - A veteran team the Twins boast a nice lineup up including Jacoby Ellsbury, Ron Hunt, Sammy Sosa, Mo Vaughn, Cal Riokien Jr and Navy Lopez. Pitching is also decent with Shawn Estes, Victor Xambrano and Ramon Martinez.

A.L. West Preview

L.A. Angels - The Halos have a very good staff. John Santana, Cliff Lee, Chris Young and Bartolo Colon pace the rotation. Felix Rodriguez is the closer in an otherwise ordinary bullpen. Offensively the Angels feature Albery Pujols, Hideki Matsui, Jason Varitek and Raul Mondesi.

Oakland A’s - The Athletics are led by Carl Crawford, Derrel Lee, Ben Grieve, Paul O’Neil and Marquis Grissom. The pitching staff is led by Scott Kazmir, Dontrelle “The D Train” Willis and C.C. Sabathia. The Bullpen has a fierce jason Isringhasen closing games out. The A’s look pretty stout.

Seattle Mariners - The M’s have Greg Maddux who is arguably the best pitcher in the league. Barry Zito and Denny Neagle help anchor the rotation. The Bullpen is a big are of concern though. Arthur Rhodes is their closer and they do not hav much else. On the offensive side they are not too impressive. They do have a long Nomar and a “in his prime” Adam Dunn. Aging vet Mark McGwire can still bring out the big wood as he hit 27 HR’s in Year 1. But how much is left in the tank at age 34?

Texas Rangers - Young 1B Jeff Bagwell is the centerpiece of the Rangers offense. 2B Chase Utley and SS Michael Young form a formidable middle infield.In CF the Rangers have young Willy Taveras who had a very solid season in 2017 as the Rangers leadoff hitter (.264/9HR/61RBI/31 SB/77R). Pitching looks like Chris Carpenter, Justin Thompson and Jason Were leading the rotation and the legendary Billy Wagner closing games out.

Houston Astros - The Astros are led by Kerry Wood, Dan Halen and Freddy Garcia at the top of the rotation and Kazuhiro Sasaki closing games out. Kenny Lofton is the spark plug at the top of the order, while David Justice, Eric Chavez, Geoff Jenkins and Tony Clark crank out the dingers. Bengie Molina is behind the dish as well.

N.L. East Preview

Atlanta Braves - The Bravos are filled with star power. Bernie Williams, Scott Rolen, Kevin Millar, Moises Alou and Edgar Renteria round out an impressive lineup. However the pitching staff in this fantasy universe is not what they had in reality. Mark Mulder sits atop the rotation but the rest is just an average bunch that includes Brian Lawrence and Carl Pavano. The bullpen is also an area of weakness. I do not expect much from the Braves in 2018.

Florida Marlins - The Fish have three top of line pitchers including Curt Shilling is simply a dominating ACE. Livian Hernandez and Matt Morris also chip in big time. The “A” team bullpen is led by closer Chad Cordero and set up men Derek Lowe and Jonathon Broxton. Offensively the Marlins boast a great lineup and maybe the strongest in the NL East. Michael Bourn, Lance Berkman, Jose Guillen, Mark Grace and Bran McCann lead the charge

Montreal Expos - The Spo’s have some nice pieces to work with. Shannon Stewart had a great 2017 hitting .291 with 16 HR and 78 RBI, 27 SB and 93R from the leadoff spot. Prince Fielder was a dominant power threat hitting 32 HR and driving in 90 while hitting .297. To round out this impressive lineup is Carlos Guillen, Yadier Molina and Bobby Bonnila. In the rotation the great HOF Randy Johnson leads the staff along with Ismael Valdez, Todd Stottlemyre and Matt Cain. The bullpen is solid with Chuck McElroy, Jeff Nelson and Jonathan Papelbon.

NY Mets - The Metropolitans Boast a very good pitching staff with Roy Oswald, Hideo Nomo Bruce Chen and Free Agent pick up and former Giant Chuck Finley. They also have a young Tim Wakefield. Randy Myers handles the closing duties in the pen. Todd Helton is their clear cut superstar. He joins Crag Biggio, Kelly Gruber and Frank Catalanotto. Mark DeRosa also is in the lineup (AMBUSH TACTICS BITCH!!!).

Philadelphia Phillies - Tony Gwynn graces the leadoff spot for the fighting Phils. Brian Roberts, Travis Hafner and Shawn Green round out the top 4....but they also have guys like Andrew Jones and Rondell White joining Tony in the OF. The top 3 of the rotation are good. Brandon Webb, Alex Fernandez and John Burkett. Jose Lima is their closer.

N.L. Central Preview

Chicago Cubs - The great Pedro Martinez headlines the pitching staff but also look out for young superstar in the making Javier Vazquez. He went 16-7 with a 2.85 ERA in Year 1 out pitching Pedro. Carlos Zambrano and Terry Adams round it out and both are also young. Joakim Soria is the teams closer. The offense is just an impressive and may be the best lineup in the East. Jermaine Dye, Mike Lowell, Sean Casey, Alex Rodriguez (Age 22), Jason Kendall (Age 25), J.T Snow and a 24 year old Jorge Cantu headline the lineup.

Cincinnati Reds - The Reds may struggle this season. Jason Bay, Tino Martinez and Ruben Sierra are their top bats with a young in the wings Troy Glaus waiting. Steve Finely and Todd Hundley are also there and top prospect Darin Erstad will try to see if he belongs this season. Pitching wise they have the great Kevin Brown and Chan Ho Park and not much else.

Milwaukee Brewers - The Brew Crew has some potential. Pitching looks solid with Jake Peavy, Mike Hampton and Kevin Tapani heading the rotation. Mariano Rivera is the teams unquestioned closer. Offensively there are players to be excited for in Grady Sizemore and Vladimir Guerrero. Darin Fletcher and Brian Giles also help out.

Pittsburgh Pirates - Barry Bonds back where he belongs with the Bucks. Bonds is the most dominant hitter in the universe. Joining him are Matt Lawton, Justin Morneau, Adrian Beltre, Hunter Pence and Howie Kendrick. Pitching wise they have live arms in Brad Penny, Darryl Kite and Aaron Harang.

St Louis Cardinals - The Cards have The Rocket leading the pitching staff (Roger Clemens for the kiddies) also they have some young starting pitchers in Brett Myers and Chien-Ming Wang. The Bullpen is filled with aging veterans and is a weak spot long term. Short term they should be ok. Mike Stanton, Tom Gordon and Vic Darensbourg lead the way. Offensively young and powerful and PED free Robnson Cano leads off the lineup, Big Papi and Robin Ventura also power the lineup in the middle. Mike Napoli and Torii Hunter along with Crag Wilson round out a very strong hitting lineup. Keep on eye out on the young up and going 2B/SS Luis Castillo.

N.L. West Preview

Arizona Diamondbacks - The D-backs have a decent lineup. Led by Jason Giambi and Matt Holiday as their big boppers they also have some solid pieces in Brian Jordan, Aaron Boone, Johnny Damon and Marlon Anderson. King Felix is their Ace in the rotation and he joined my Brad Radke and Matt Clement. Jeff Shaw handles the closers role in the pen.

Colorado Rockies - Zack Greinke and Orlando Hernandez are the lambs being let to slaughter in Coors Field....or at least they hop not. Brad Lidge is the teams closer and they hope the offense can score enough runs at home to off-set the traditionally tough park on pitcher that it is. So who is the task burdened on? A real strong cast here. Chipper Jones, Hanley Ramierez (when he was a young star), Rafael Palmer, Raul Ibanez, Bret Boone, Carlos Lee, Joe Mauer and Jay Buhner. A young Jose Reyes is also in the mix. So this lineup has a lot of firepower.

L.A. Dodgers - The Boys in Blue are primed and ready to challenge for their second division title. Young and also filled with guys in their prime. Nick Markakis, Todd Walker, Gary Sheffield, Joey Votto, Jorge Posada (elder statesmen), Adrian Escobar, Jim Edmonds (Prime Version) and Juan Uribe fill out this lineup card. Andy Petite leads the staff as Andy Ashby, Francisco Liriano, and Wade Miller join him. Antonio Osuna is the team young closer.

S.D Padres - The Padres have some scary bats n the lineup including The Big Hurt Frank Thomas, Manny Ramirez and Tim Salmon. Veterans Sandy Alomar Jr and Deveon White also help out. A young Chase Headly is also in the lineup. Pitching is strong with Mike Mussina, Al Leiter, Jason Schmidt and Rick Reed in the rotation. K-Rod is the closer.

So there you have it for Year 2 as far as the teams, key players and you can make your own predictions and of course follow along as we play every pitch and every inning of this awesome fantasy universe that is the Fantasy Flashback 1990-2007 S.F. Giants Year 2!!!!

<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"><link href="http://dynasties.operationsports.com/css/depth_chart.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"></head><body><div id="depthchart"><div class="teamheader" style="background:#F37736;">San Francisco Giants (1990-2007 Fantasy Draft) Depth Chart - 2018</div><div class="depthchart"><div id="catcher"><ul><li class="title">Catcher</li><li class="odd"><b>George Williams</b></li><li class="even">Doug Mirabelli</li></ul></div><div id="first_base"><ul><li class="title">First Base</li><li class="odd"><b>Kevin Youkillis</b></li></ul></div><div id="second_base"><ul><li class="title">Second Base</li><li class="odd"><b>Homer Bush</b></li><li class="even">Ben Zobrist</li></ul></div><div id="third_base"><ul><li class="title">Third Base</li><li class="odd"><b>Miguel Carbrea</b></li><li class="even">Evan Longoria</li></ul></div><div id="shortstop"><ul><li class="title">Shortstop</li><li class="odd"><b>Derek Jeter</b></li><li class="even">Ben Zobrist</li></ul></div><div id="left_field"><ul><li class="title">Left Field</li><li class="odd"><b>Eric Davis</b></li><li class="even">Tim Raines</li></ul></div><div id="center_field"><ul><li class="title">Center Field</li><li class="odd"><b>Ken Griffey Jr</b></li></ul></div><div id="right_field"><ul><li class="title">Right Field</li><li class="odd"><b>Ichiro Suzuki</b></li><li class="even">Ryan Braun</li></ul></div><div id="rightcol"><ul style="margin-bottom:5px;"><li class="title">Starting Pitcher</li><li class="odd"><b>Justin Verlander</b></li><li class="even">Josh Beckett</li><li class="odd">A.J. Burnett</li><li class="even">David Price</li><li class="odd">Adam Wainwright</li><li class="even">Oliver Perez</li></ul><ul style="margin-bottom:5px;"><li class="title">Relief Pitcher</li><li class="odd"><b>Paul Quantrill</b></li><li class="even">Jon Rauch</li><li class="odd">Neal Cotts</li><li class="even">Tony Pena</li><li class="odd">Joel Zumaya</li><li class="even">Jose Valverde</li></ul><ul><li class="title">Closer</li><li class="odd"><b>Matt Mantei</b></li></ul></div><div id="leftcol"><ul style="margin-bottom:5px;"><li class="title">Designated Hitter</li><li class="odd"><b>Eric Davis</b></li></ul></div></div></div></body></html>

vertman 03-10-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armor and Sword (Post 2050042918)

Hello OS Show Nation!!! Wow.....another cycle has passed and we are ready for the final version on the PS4! Amazing how quick it has gone. But each and every year we have gotten improved gameplay, vastly improved fielding animations and ball physics as well as excellent audio and ballpark ambience.

MLB 20 promises to be another subtle advancement from the fantastic MLB 19 in terms of improved tagging, more unique OF breaks on hit balls, and again enhanced throwing and fielding animations.

For all of those who have used my sliders in the past you know the drill. We play with a totally clean screen. No visual aides what so ever, utilizing the Classic pitching and Directional hitting interfaces.

When you dive into my approach at playing MLB The Show keep an open mind. Dare yourself to dream of playing every pitch of every inning so the magic of baseball can unfold for you over the course of this cycle. I can assure you if can make an effort to play at least 120-162 games you will get the full monty of what makes MLB The Show the greatest console sports game on the planet. The “little things” really shine and you will see things in game 100 that you never saw in the previous 99. Believe me, trust me and dive in. Endure a month long cold spell at the plate. Endure a month long shellacking of your pitching staff as you grasp at reasons of WTF is going on.....that will make that 15 game winning streak, that 10 game hitting streak, that monster run of scoring 50 runs in 6 games, that 3 HR game, hitting for the cycle, getting to the post season, WINNING THE WORLD SERIES that much sweeter.

Trust the settings, trust the dice rolls, and try to get better!

1. Sample size - Please play 25-35 games before jumping off a bridge because you can’t hit or pitch. Also be honest with yourself about your skill level and ability. Especially when it comes to hitting. The Show emulates hitting so well. And guess what? It is the hardest thing to do in all of sports. That is why we have guys playing football on Sundays (they cannot hit a 95 MPH fastball nor want any part of standing in the dish facing that kind of heat coming at their head). Adjust pitch speed down or up if you find it too difficult or too easy.

2. Buy into the clean screen approach and embrace this way of playing - Turn off those visual guides, cues and arrows. Do not use guess pitch. It all makes you a lousy player. Learn how to play baseball. Use your eye’s and instinct’s. Sit on pitches, have patience at the plate, learn what good pitch sequencing is all about when you are on the bump. This is not an entry level way of playing. Clean screen is hardcore simulation style baseball. Our timing and our IQ coupled with player ratings determines our ultimate success.

Version 1.0 Coming Soon!

Settings:

Batting and Baserunning:

Hitting Difficulty: HOF

Hitting Interface Directional (Timed)

Input Type - Buttons

Plate Coverage Indicator - Off

Camera Shift - Off

In-Play View Offense - Broadcast

Hitting View: Fish Eye (Users Choice)

Ball Trail - Off

Button Interface: Classic

Guess Pitch: Off

Baserunner Interface: Default

Baserunning Decisions: Assist

Sliding Decisions: Assist

Runner Window: Off (Much more challenging and rewarding plus cleaner screen)

Pitching:

Pitching Difficulty: HOF

Pitching Interface: Classic

Pitching View: Broadcast

Pitching Ball Marker: Off ("On" for those that struggle with it off)

Pitch Callout: Off (cleaner screen but turn it on if you like)

Pitch Confidence: On

Pitch Delay: Normal

API: Default

Fielding:

Throwing Interface: Buttons

Throwing Meter: Off

Throwing Difficulty: NA

Throwing Decision: Off

Throw Canceling: On

Fielding Decision: Auto

Defensive Shift: Manual

All Indicators - off

Fielding View Offense: Broadcast

Fielding View Defense: Broadcast

General

Strike Zone: Off

Hot Zones: Off

Warm Up Relievers - On

Balks: Off

Tutorial Tips - Off

Post Game Auto Save - Off

Umpire Balls and Strikes: Personalized

Umpire Close Plays: On

Check Swing Appeals: On

Injuries: On

Ejections: On

Scorebar Display - On

Pitch Select Display - Off

Swing/Pitch Info - Off

Vibration - On (Off for the ultimate challenge) (I play with it on)

Game Log Order - Default

Presentation Options

Presentation Mode - Broadcast

Pre Pitch Cameras - Batting Only

Frequency - High Leverage

Batter Walkup - On

In-game Ticker - On

Closed Captioning - Off

Mode Updates - Occasional

MLB.com Updates - On

Gameplay Sliders

Dynamic Difficulty Sensitivity

Human Contact

Human Power

Human Timing

Stride Difficulty

Human Foul Frequency

Human Solid Hits

Human Starter Stamina

Human Reliever Stamina

Human Pitcher Control

Human Pitcher Consistency

CPU Contact

CPU Power

CPU Timing

CPU Foul Frequency

CPU Solid Hits

CPU Starter Stamina

CPU Reliever Stamina

CPU Pitcher Control

CPU Pitcher Consistency

CPU Strike Frequency

CPU Manager Hook

CPU Pickoffs

Fastball Pitch Speed

Off speed Pitch Speed

Fielding Errors Infield

Fielding Errors Outfield

Throwing Errors Infield

Throwing Errors Outfield

Fielder Run Speed

Fielder Reaction

Fielder Arm Strength Infield

Fielder Arm Strength Outfield

Baserunner Speed

Baserunner Steal Ability

Baserunner Steal Frequency

Wind

Injuries

Trade Slider 5 - April

Trade Slider 5 - May

Trade Slider 6 - June

Trade Slider 10 - July,

Trade Slider 5 - August

Trade Slider 5 - September

Trade Slider 5 - October

Trade Slider 10 - November thru February

Trade Slider 7 - Spring Training

Classic Roster Tweaks

Make these tweaks to the HOF set if you are using any classic rosters from the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s or 90’s!

Starter stamina

Reliever stamina

CPU Hook

Base stealer ability

Armor’s True Classic Clean Screen Approach

For the ultimate in simulation and challenge here is the way I play The Show with classic pitching vs the CPU.

OK so here is the deal on turning off the R2/pitch types button showing on screen.

All you need to do to see your pitchers repertoire is press right on the d-pad and hit R1 and you will see in order his pitch selection (and you can access this screen to see his strike % throughout the game with his various pitches to see how he is dealing and this eliminates the crutch of the pitch confidence display explained later)

So you press d-pad left and then R1 and see this:

1.4FB

2.SL

3.SPL

4.CHG

That means:

4FB = X = 1 finger

SL = O = 2 fingers

SPL = Triangle = 3 fingers

CHG = Square = 4 fingers

4 Fingers and wiggle means his 5th pitch (R1)

Now you know his best to weakest.

Watch the catcher....if he has 2 fingers showing he wants you to throw a Slider. If he shows 4 fingers he wants a Change up.

I typically allow my catcher to call a lot of my pitches for a sim feel. But I will overrule him when I want (shake him off). If you want to see where he wants it pull back R2 and the location icon will flash. The catcher also will sometimes just pat his mitt and/or point inside or outside and I will just aim to that area of the zone (or out of it). Or again I will shake him off. Remember if your controller rumbles while your picking your location the marker (which you can't see) is out of the strike zone. A slight rumble is barely out of the zone..and strong rumble is way out of the zone. I do start pitches out of the zone like sliders, cutters splitters etc and they come back in based on the break and spin. It takes practice....but it is well worth the reward.

Now if your pitcher has 5 pitches 4 fingers and a wiggle will mean the pitch assigned to the R1 button.

Another cool thing is you no longer see a pitchers confidence in any particular pitch. Again simply press d-pad left and R1 once and you can see each pitch and the strike %. The more strikes you have thrown with a pitch the higher the confidence level will be in that pitch.

When you have played the game as long as I have....you know if your throwing a certain pitch for strikes a lot...they will have a lot more confidence in it. I am at a stage with this game where I don't need many visual aides. But if your not there yet turn the pitch type screen back.....play the game the way your comfortable playing it.

I will tell you though the layers of simulation by pitching this way is amazing and fun. Turning the ball marker off and no controller vibration also truly makes it challenging and realistic. Sometimes your pitches will not go where you want them.

Just like IRL!!!

Give this a shot. I have a feeling you will love it. It will take some getting used to...but after a dozen to a couple of dozen games you will be in the groove.

My good friend and fellow slider guru Josh1977 had some nice input about classic pitching so check this stuff out below as well.

"That said, you definitely have some control over pitch outcome. How long you hold the button matters. It affects pitch speed, command, and the amount of break on breaking pitches. It just isn't 'push a button and go'...there is far more subtlety in it. In fact, if you simply tap the button, it is an excellent way to get shelled".

When pitching in classic, you have about a 1 second time period before you get the controller vibration (i.e. max-effort). The following are my observations...

Max effort pitches (holding the button down till the vibration) result in the following:

More velocity

Less control

A sharper break on breaking pitches

Pitches tend to rise more

Minimum effort pitches (tapping the button) results in the following:

Less velocity

Better control

"Loopier" breaking balls (especially curves/sliders

Pitches sink more (due to lower velo) - changeups will pretty constantly wind up in the dirt

In many cases, an "intermediate" duration is optimal. However, you can vary this from pitch to pitch (i.e. like a pitcher adding/subtracting from the speed of the pitch). This is a tremendous way to keep hitters off-balance to help to avoid them getting solid contact/timing.

This is just a basic overview...I'm sure there are more subtleties involved.

Armor's Directional Hitting Approach

It is all situational for me. So many factors depending on the type of hitter, counts, situation, score etc etc.

First off as far as swing types and counts:

Normal Swing:

0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-1, 2-2, 3-2

Contact swing

All Pitchers

0-2, 1-2,

2-2, 3-2

Situational - with weaker hitters to make contact and move runners or sacrifice fly.

Power Swing only with my very best power hitters when I typically have no one on with no outs or no one on with 2 outs.

0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 (green light) 3-1 counts.

Directional strategy:

I position the LS pre pitch and hold throughout the swing however as you know I do not use the visual aide showing the influence (don't need it).

Dead Pull Contact Hitters if the situation calls for a pull

LS at the 9 o'clock for RH 3 o'clock for left handers

Pull Power Hitters with normal swing

LS position

10/11 o'clock positions for RH hitters

1/2 o'clock for LH hitters

Opposite field strategy for RH hitters so I can hit behind the runner...early in counts and hitter counts (0-0, 1-0, 2-0 or 3-1) LS is at 3'clock for LH hitters at 9 o'clock

If I get into a pitchers count or neutral count (0-1, 0-2, 1-1, 2-2, 3-2) I do not use stick influence but I allow the ball to travel deep so I can either slap it the other way or fight it off.

When I simply want to induce a sac fly or ground ball....LS in 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock respectively in hitters counts only.

So I think you can see my approach. In hitters counts I can be far more selective with my pitches and use the LS influence. Basically depending on what I want to do I am looking for one pitch in one spot on 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-1 counts (I rarely green light on 3-0 unless I am up big or down big or have a gut feeling). When I am in pitchers counts or neutral accounts I am simply using my normal or contact swing with no stick influence as I am in battle mode and trying to work the count.

I hope that gives you a good idea of my approach at the dish.

Armors 30 Team Control Manifesto

So folks I seem to always get a lot of questions around 30 team control, is it for me, how much control do you use, why do you use it etc. So I want to talk about the why, how and pretty much what I do personally with my 30 team control universe in my proper 2017 Yankees Franchise and my Year 3 1987 Yankees Franchise The Quest For Donny Baseball.

Why 30 team control? Well for me it comes down to these 3 key points

1) Lineup integrity and control - I want to make sure lineups are logical and maximizing every teams talent. This is subjective to the player as well. What I may think makes sense, you may do something differently. Always remember it is your universe and you can shape it any way you want.

2) Trade Czar - I love trading. But I hate dumb trades, like real doozy type trades that make no sense for the present or the future. And they do sometimes occur....of course it's totaly IMO. So if I see a trade that fit's my definition of "being bent over with no lube" I will simply reverse it. Now in the past we had a trade delay option. But for programming reasons (it was causing some issues in the trade engine apparently) it was removed on MLB 16. So to reverse a doozy of a deal simply trade the assets back to each respective team. The team that clearly got the strong side of the deal is the one you should propose the trade back to the team that was fleeced.

3) 40 Man Roster Integrity - I make sure I stay on top of each teams 40 man roster in terms of "A" and "B" prospects. Why? I don't want legit "A" and "B" prospects who are developing nicely to be exposed to the "Rule 5" draft. So Before September I make sure (and of course before the regular season starts) I go through each teams 40 and check out their "top" prospects and make sure I get them on the 40 man roster (if they are not on it) to protect them from exposure to the Rule 5 draft. Of course sometimes there is not enough room, because you do need a good mix of veterans at the AAA level to be on call for potential injuries. So this is a GM aspect I like to do. Plus it get's me familiar with every teams minor league system.

So I create one profile for my club with everything set to manual and then I have a profile called "CPU Franchise" which I assign to every team I do not want full control over.

Everything on this CPU Franchise profile is set to Auto except:

Lineups

40 Man Roster

I do not resign the other 29 teams free agents, I do not manage their injuries (I just stay on top of their lineups so if an injury occurs at the big league level and I do not agree with their call-up replacement or lineups with new player inserted I correct it to my liking).

Again, it is about options and the ability to step in when I want/need to. I do not get overwhelmed with doing player training or scouting for the other 29 teams.

I simply just manage those 3 things I mentioned above.

And of course another perk is if I want to switch teams in a franchise at anytime....I can.

So here is my daily method with 30 team control

Simulate all games on the schedule for the day except my game. That way all the scores show up on my ticker when I play my game.

Monthly I will check every team's stat's, see who is performing well etc and I may make some lineup adjustments to other teams to capitalize on players performing better than expected.

Again it is your universe. Have fun with it. And don't over think it

Trades for your team - So one thing I have in place is a house rule where I only trade with other teams for players that are strictly on the trading block until the month of July (when my storylines will take over as I check standings and teams goals, budget etc etc). Unless a team comes to me with an offer with a player/players not on their trading block, I limit myself to that rule. Some exceptions I will make is if I am trying to make a blockbuster multi star player deal and of course I do not fleece the CPU. What's the fun in that? Maybe it is for you and you can do whatever you want, but for me, I like to keep it grounded and more realistic. With that I do have storylines that will occur in the natural progression of my team and I may move a guy because of it. And again.....Trade deadline and Winter meetings I will look at the league and make logical deals and blockbuster trades as well and keep my league fresh and vibrant.

Player Editing Within Your Franchise Universe

So Warmwind has a nice set of house rules that I will begin employing in my off-seasons moving forward (30 team control only). Read below. I think it has great idea’s and will make your franchises far more dynamic!

I do edits, but based on rules.

1. I make position edits based on needs and profiles all the time. There are no consequences for doing this.

2. I'm allowed to trade 1 for 1 between a pitcher's durability and their stamina, but only during the off season. This can coincide with a position edit (RP to SP for example).

3. All players must be allowed to regress without edits if they are having a bad year.

4. For players under 34, I'm allowed to counteract regression, but only if they are having a good year.

5. For players under 36, I'm allowed to counteract half of the regression, but only if they are having a good year.

6. For players of any age, I'm allowed to counteract regression using a trade system, where points from one attribute are traded into another in order to keep it up. This can ONLY be used to counteract regression, cannot be used to boost an attribute higher then where it started the year at. Points taken from Durability are worth double, but it also costs double to keep Durability up.

Have fun with it guys.

Ready to go. Always great reading your franchise posts. Leaning towards getting it Friday but will definitely have it day one. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Jeffrey Smith 03-10-2020 10:15 PM

Sounds awesome! I’m not a fan of 30 team control as it sounds very time consuming.

I am however very interested in your play style. I’ve never gone with a clean screen but I will give it a try this year. With the early release I’m planning to play through spring training games using your options with dynamic difficulty.

Just one question. Pitching without a ball marker how can you tell how much break are on the curveballs and sliders? Do you use pitchers ratings as a guideline to movement on breaking balls?

Thanks for sharing all your hard work.[emoji1303]

Gagnon39 03-10-2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith (Post 2050043201)
Sounds awesome! I’m not a fan of 30 team control as it sounds very time consuming.

I am however very interested in your play style. I’ve never gone with a clean screen but I will give it a try this year. With the early release I’m planning to play through spring training games using your options with dynamic difficulty.

Just one question. Pitching without a ball marker how can you tell how much break are on the curveballs and sliders? Do you use pitchers ratings as a guideline to movement on breaking balls?

30 team control is not time consuming. It just allows you to edit anything you want on other teams to limit the dumb AI.

dubplate 03-10-2020 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith (Post 2050043201)

Clean screen is the way to go as it really immerses you in the game. Been playing this way for a few years now thanks to Armor, and there's no going back.

Jeffrey Smith 03-10-2020 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gagnon39 (Post 2050043214)
30 team control is not time consuming. It just allows you to edit anything you want on other teams to limit the dumb AI.

I get that setting it up is relatively easy, but isn’t it a pain to babysit the CPU.

I really just want to play my games and take care of my franchise. I’d be willing to let the CPU take care of itself and live with the consequences.