Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   MLB The Show 20 Review: A Worthy Sendoff For This Generation (/forums/showthread.php?t=966163)

ChaseB 03-14-2020 04:05 PM

MLB The Show 20 Review: A Worthy Sendoff For This Generation

Sony San Diego Studio's yearly release of their award-winning baseball franchise is here. For me, there...

Written By: Robert Kollars

Click here to view the article.

ChaseB 03-14-2020 04:09 PM

Re: MLB The Show 20 Review: A Worthy Sendoff For This Generation

If something wasn't mentioned etc. we are still doing plenty of deep dives over the next days and weeks so we'll probably end up getting to whatever it is you want talked about.

Thanks y'all!

AUTiger1 03-14-2020 04:46 PM

IMO, the best The Show intro was the one from a couple years back with the chalk painting!!

Caulfield 03-14-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Kollars
It is also worth noting in many ballparks the surrounding cityscapes have been fleshed out and built up with much more detail than what we saw in last year's version.

on moonshot homers so far, I have put a replay lock on the ball and at the highest peak stop the frame and just take it all in. the outside world is beautiful. I've done this with about 8 stadiums so far, and what got me started was outside Anaheim, I noticed there weren't any cars in a parking lot. I thought hey what's the deal here, then I scan around and see another lot jam-packed with vehicular

Siuflyer 03-15-2020 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseB (Post 2050047532)
If something wasn't mentioned etc. we are still doing plenty of deep dives over the next days and weeks so we'll probably end up getting to whatever it is you want talked about.

Thanks y'all!

Has the dev team said anything about patching in the real world schedule if and when real baseball starts? At this point it seems pretty certain whether they still try and play 162 or have to shorten the season, it’s going to be an unusual summer. I know we franchise players feel we’ve been put on the back burner the last few years, going the extra mile on something like this could be a meaningful gesture to the franchise community.

jeffy777 03-15-2020 01:50 AM

Re: MLB The Show 20 Review: A Worthy Sendoff For This Generatio

Quote:

Of these changes, the two biggest would have to be the throwing meter and fielding movement. In past years, I would go as far as turning the meter off because even the hardest throws just became commonplace and maybe even mundane. Enter 2020 and the revamped meter, and that change has forced me to multi-task.

First, I must make the play and understand who is running down the line, and adjust accordingly to what type of throw is required. If you hit the throw meter just right, it feels wonderful and accurate. Press it too long or not enough, and the results will have you cringing in anticipation of where the ball is headed.

As someone who also turned the meter off in the past, I agree the new fielding meter is good in terms of results, but I’m quickly realizing it becomes pretty easy and mundane.

The reviewer states, “First, I must make the play and understand who is running down the line, and adjust accordingly to what type of throw is required.“

That sounds lovely, but is that truly the case? Isn’t it basically just a matter of hitting the button in the middle of the meter every time? There’s really no way to change your type of throw or speed from an input perspective. That’s all handled automatically, right?

Don’t get me wrong, I like the updated meter, but the new changes really only affect the results from what I can tell, and with no way to adjust the difficulty, it essentially becomes more of a muscle memory mini-game than any sort of strategic process. I just wish there truly was a bit more depth to it....maybe pulling R2 to rush your throw or L2 to make sure you plant your feet for a more conservative approach? Just spit-balling here. :)

Caulfield 03-15-2020 08:37 AM

...and I'm not sending off this generation of consoles til after Show 21. I hope there are even 3 more years left on the PS4 but I do want to be upgraded on a PS5 when Show 22 arrives. might be some life left in them old bones beyond 20, hopefully lol

LoadStar81 03-16-2020 02:53 PM

Opening videos are a lost art.
The opener for The Show 16 just about singlehandedly made me a fan of The Struts.* Rock's not dead, it turns out, and those guys are GOOD.* Even their covers are no slouch (Dancing In the Street and Ballroom Blitz are impressive), and I dare you to listen all the way through "Tattler Magazine" without smiling at least once.
The chalk art opener for 17 needs no further praise.* It gets me every.* Single.* Time.* It might just be the single best introduction to the sport in under 3 minutes.* I mean, come on:* going from Cal Ripken, straight into Gehrig's farewell address, that is* just *sniff* positively unfair, man... *sniff sniff*
I'm not crying.* You're crying.
The way the kids and the pros were intercut in the opener for 18 was nicely done, and if you wondered what they'd do to top it, well, they had four different videos in 19.* FOUR.
So, yeah, this opening cinematic was a bit of a letdown, but the rest of the package is fine by me.