Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   There's a good chance that Madden 21 could our football fix for the year (/forums/showthread.php?t=967153)

speedkills 03-29-2020 09:43 AM

There's a good chance that Madden 21 could our football fix for the year

*could be

Let me just get the obligatory in the grand scheme of things/proper perspective given we're in the midst of a global calamity of course, seeing how Tom Brady fares with his new team doesn't rate up there too high. But for those of us who do follow sports, it is a life-enhancing activity you could say and in the context of this site it's a worthy topic I think.

We're facing this right now with no real-life baseball and with MLB the Show 20. I just don't see that stadiums will be clear to host crowds by the time football season starts. And if it's not safe for fans to be in the stands neither would it be for teams to travel and to have the staff required to play and broadcast a game, not when a vaccine is still at least a year out.

I'm old enough to remember the 1994 MLB season being cancelled and local sports TV simulating the rest of the games with World Series Baseball on the Sega Genesis lol and posting the box scores on the nightly sports news. I wonder if ESPN is going to resort to that. I tuned in the other day and they were covering a rock skipping competition, no joke.

This is surreal. It's the end of the world as we know it and ... well, it sucks.

Godgers12 03-29-2020 04:02 PM

Re: There's a good chance that Madden 21 could our football fix for the year

If this goes on for another month there will be large scale riots. Mark my words. Americans hate being told what to do, and hate even more to be on "Lockdown". Hell there is already large scale brawls at walmart over toilet paper lol, just yesterday there was an incident where 3 people were killed, 170 injured and 213 arrested. Soon, life has to return to normal, because if it doesnt I also fear it could launch us into another great depression that would make the one a hundred years ago look like child's play. 0 chance they cancel football. Billions would be lost in TV revenue and ticket sales. They're talking about bringing baseball back by june.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

TheAman 03-29-2020 04:31 PM

I think football will be fine. I genuinely think football might be the first sport to play in the US.

Qcsports4 03-29-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godgers12 (Post 2050064305)
If this goes on for another month there will be large scale riots. Mark my words. Americans hate being told what to do, and hate even more to be on "Lockdown". Hell there is already large scale brawls at walmart over toilet paper lol, just yesterday there was an incident where 3 people were killed, 170 injured and 213 arrested. Soon, life has to return to normal, because if it doesnt I also fear it could launch us into another great depression that would make the one a hundred years ago look like child's play. 0 chance they cancel football. Billions would be lost in TV revenue and ticket sales. They're talking about bringing baseball back by june.

We're always talking about the virus and the effects on sports entertainment,pro sports leagues are sports entertainment, however,let's not forget about the lingering effects on the economy. People are NOT going to pay for overpriced tickets,parking,to the National Fixed...I mean Football League when they first have to take care of their families! Plus,let's differentiate something. There are sports and there are pro sports leagues. Two different things! Pro sports leagues would have to start their seasons at a later date.

speedkills 03-29-2020 11:32 PM

Flash forward to September and the NFL real-life season has been cancelled but the NFL decides to go with a virtual online season and all 32 head coaches and GMs are declared "virtually essential" and take control of their respective teams in Madden and games are played in coach mode and televised in broadcast cam.

shockl3y 03-30-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godgers12 (Post 2050064305)

Yeah, I doubt all that happens. Get real man.

Hshaw810 03-30-2020 04:09 PM

Oh lord. Mediocre madden as a fix? Shoot me now lol

moTIGS 03-30-2020 05:23 PM

My bet is pro sports resumes shortly after testing is widely available. They will ensure the athletes and all essential personnel are OK and play in empty stadiums/arenas. Fans, however, won't be able to return until we have a vaccine.

There will be a ton of lost revenue, but they'll still make TV money.

Professional teams were already probably avoiding public travel (pretty sure they all have private charter flights), so that part won't need to change. They'll just test all the athletes before every game, make sure everyone is still healthy, and play the games for TV.

I don't think college sports will resume in the same fashion, though. At least not across all conferences and sports. The resources likely aren't there to continue hosting events and traveling via private charters for all schools. But we could possibly see things resume on a smaller scale, where cross-country travel is limited but regional matches take place.

This all hinges on quick and accurate testing. There is a test the FDA just approved that allegedly returns a positive result in a few minutes. Assuming that works, I see no reason not to have sports.