Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NFL 2K (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=703)
-   -   Arcade Football (/forums/showthread.php?t=968677)

onegroove7 04-23-2020 12:53 PM

Arcade Football

I don't see why 2K wouldn't make their game as realistic as possible. The type of game that would actually violate the agreement would take multiple years of development to create. They could make the case that EA's version of e-football is not actually simulation. It's pretty common knowledge that EA Sports doesn't make any simulation games. They could say that EA has squandered the rights they paid for by not making a simulation football game and 2K reached an agreement with the NFL to enter the market EA currently operates in.

If EA wants to take advantage of their exclusive rights to sim football, they will just have to make a sim football game.

Cardot 04-23-2020 02:38 PM

Re: Arcade Football

I am curious what "Simulation" actually means in this context? Could 2k make a game with cartoony graphics, but plays realistically? Can they make an over the top arcady game by default, but with some options to make it more realistic? Can they even make a game where football is actually played....as opposed to a card trading game?

TarHeelPhenom 04-23-2020 03:22 PM

I was going to ask...would All-Pro Football 2k8 be considered "Sim" from a technical standpoint? Is it because of the type of license deal they made that it absolutely has to be arcadish NFL Street type football?

kehlis 04-23-2020 03:27 PM

Arcade Football

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardot (Post 2050089142)
I am curious what "Simulation" actually means in this context? Could 2k make a game with cartoony graphics, but plays realistically? Can they make an over the top arcady game by default, but with some options to make it more realistic? Can they even make a game where football is actually played....as opposed to a card trading game?

I don’t think anyone knows. Safe to assume though that the terms in the agreement make it next to impossible to make an 11 on 11 playable football game like everyone would like.

Everyone seems to assume they are using the word “simulation” in the same way we on OS use it which is likely not even close.

Cardot 04-23-2020 03:35 PM

Agreed. And 2k probably wouldn't want to test the contractual limits right of the gate anyways. But I am still curious.

And yeah, too bad they can't use the OS definition of Sim. Then the only requirement would be to have something like punt averages be a half a yard off the NFL average to throw it in the arcade category. lol.

JayhawkerStL 04-23-2020 07:25 PM

I think it is safe to assume that the NFL, EA and 2K worked out a deal that allows 2K to make something. The idea that they gave any leverage is pretty funny.

I do think it will be 11 on 11. I think they will use real players and other elements from the NFL. What they won’t do is have any way to recreate an NFL season. Think APF2K8, but with some NFL licensing.

With that, they can allow for custom leagues like you see in SMB, and MUT type stuff you see in Madden and NBA 2K. Gameplay will be whatever 2K think will sell.

That’s pure speculation. We need to know a lot more to really know. How much are they paying, versus what a regular third party fee might be. I don’t think they do non-11on11, because the risk of abysmal sales is too much.

But if they can do APF2K21 with current stars added to the mix of veterans, and some NFL licensing, along with more features, they can probably make some cash, at least through mtx.

If they could just match SMB3 in terms of features, I will be completely happy. Custom leagues and ways to play that add score chasing to the features, would make for a compelling release, especially with getting to use our favorite stars, both new and old.

jfsolo 04-24-2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL (Post 2050089397)
I think it is safe to assume that the NFL, EA and 2K worked out a deal that allows 2K to make something. The idea that they gave any leverage is pretty funny.

I do think it will be 11 on 11. I think they will use real players and other elements from the NFL. What they won’t do is have any way to recreate an NFL season. Think APF2K8, but with some NFL licensing.

With that, they can allow for custom leagues like you see in SMB, and MUT type stuff you see in Madden and NBA 2K. Gameplay will be whatever 2K think will sell.

That’s pure speculation. We need to know a lot more to really know. How much are they paying, versus what a regular third party fee might be. I don’t think they do non-11on11, because the risk of abysmal sales is too much.

But if they can do APF2K21 with current stars added to the mix of veterans, and some NFL licensing, along with more features, they can probably make some cash, at least through mtx.

If they could just match SMB3 in terms of features, I will be completely happy. Custom leagues and ways to play that add score chasing to the features, would make for a compelling release, especially with getting to use our favorite stars, both new and old.

I would consider the game that you're hypothesizing to be a simulation game and can't imagine that EA would agree to that kind of game being made. It's my lay opinion that if that game was the made without EA's consent then EA would be within their rights to sue the NFL for breach of contract.

CM Hooe 04-24-2020 02:22 AM

A thought as we're all theorizing about the "not simulation" contractual requirement:

What if this requirement refers to the presence of current NFL players? Could 2K make their game basically an NFL-branded APF 2K8, where it's 11-on-11 authentic football, but the player pool remains restricted to a limited selection of NFL Hall of Fame and Hall-of-Very-Good level players (and let's say for fun no more than a handful of individually-licensed current players; say, maybe Tom Brady, Larry Fitzgerald, Rob Gronkowski, and a few other guys of that general historic caliber)?

If you all remember, 2K's initial announcement did not include mention of the NFL Players Association or NFL Players Inc. licensing; only licensing from the league and teams themselves. So maybe not that off the wall that 2K might go the legends route again.