Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NFL Head Coach (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Why!? Just Why!? No More HC (/forums/showthread.php?t=969657)

Swingking77 05-11-2020 04:06 PM

Why!? Just Why!? No More HC

For the life of me, I have no idea why this game was not continued. I'm getting back into it now and it really blows my mind that this didn't become an annual, or at least biennial entry title. There's just so much untapped potential in all of this it boggles the mind.

In my opinion, I think that a fully random player creation system, as well as a more robust playbook creator, and play creator systems are all that would've been needed to make the game a legit football strategy game.

Random Players: The amount of work that went into making draft classes must have been a pain in the butt, though for the storylines it made sense. That being said, they could have easily came up with various generic storylines where the information would still be pertinent to the player themselves.

Playbooks: Really, anything that the current gen of Maddens has, or even what NCAA 2K14 had would be fine.

Play Creator: Simply add more... More routes is the big one, more run plays, and most importantly, blocking. It would have also been nice to have generic terms that the computer could say that the player could put into the plays "twenty two, gun, swing" etc.

The rest of the game, as far as development and what have you, is pretty golden as it... Too bad that they never kept up with it. One has to wonder if they'd ever sell their code to a company wanting to make their own versions, be they generic or not.

StingrayVI 05-15-2020 12:55 PM

Re: Why!? Just Why!? No More HC

I'm really not sure. It's actually kind of interesting to look at how they started incorporating elements into Madden.

But it's a shame. The game was really ahead of it's time in terms of depth.

mercalnd 05-15-2020 04:12 PM

As good as it was, it simply sold nowhere near enough to justify continuing the series.

mcgriffi 09-13-2020 02:54 PM

It's been over 10 years-it's time to bring Head Coach game back for next gen. Many gamers of the past have aged and are done with stick skills. Hopefully they do something for these types of gamers as Head Coach was legendary. With the lack of quality text sims that depict the action as well-gotta believe there is a market for it.

Jerromy 09-19-2020 02:07 PM

I remember what made me want to play this game was being able to use a microphone to call plays. I don't remember playing it much, I should revisit it and give it some love.