Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports UFC (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=535)
-   -   What did UFC 3 get right? (/forums/showthread.php?t=970589)

tomitomitomi 05-30-2020 03:59 PM

What did UFC 3 get right?

UFC 3's issues are pretty well-acknowledged. The offline modes are lacking, Ultimate Team seems to have been downgraded according to social media and the grappling has been maligned as boring and unintuitive.

Since I'm a shill, I figured we could be wholesome for a change discuss the successes of UFC 3. Here's a few from me.

The striking, despite being quite difficult to grasp initially, is pretty unanimously an upgrade over UFC 2. Since it's a game there's always going to be the most optimal strikes and combos but what really impressed me about UFC 3's striking is that people were learning new tricks and counters to different tactics over time. For example, players now have a better understanding of how to land leg kicks so it would have been interesting to see how something like the early forward sway meta would have been affected by our increased knowledge of leg kicks.

Obviously forward sways were nerfed so we don't actually know, but the post-launch balance changes and introduced mechanics were another thing that stood out about UFC 3. You could argue that it's becoming the norm for online games, but UFC 3 still deserves some praise for it, as many other titles would have saved those features for the next full-priced release. Other fighting games, such as Smash or Street Fighter have considerably less frequent patch notes. I still think they missed the mark on not updating fighter stats/moves until UFC 4 because it seems like a relatively cheap way to keep things fresh, especially when the playerbase is arguably bigger than ever before now, but oh well.

Thirdly, I think UFC 3 had much better stat balancing. There's always going to be the debate about whether the stats should be given with authenticity or competitive integrity in mind, but I think the game improved on both fronts. In previous games the best fighters were usually invincible but UFC 3 did a much better job at keeping characters in line. GSP, for example, has historically been godlike in MMA games. While he's still probably the best fighter in one if not two weight classes, he actually has relatively mediocre health stats to discourage players from brawling with him. Fighters outside the top 5-10 didn't get as much love, as their stamina and health stats were considerably worse than the best fighters' stats but as I understood it was because the GCers in charge had to give those stats without knowing how they would function in-game. Regardless, it's still a step in the right direction from UFC 2.

Kingslayer04 05-30-2020 04:53 PM

Re: What did UFC 3 get right?

For me it's the tremendous step up in realism compared to UFC 2. It is the main reason I started posting here. UFC 2 was Arcade MMA 2016 and I remember thinking about how I could maybe voice my issues somewhere with all that arcade stuff and possibly suggest ideas to improve the next game in that area. Next thing I know, UFC 3 does just that, without me having posted a single word anywhere prior to that (I believe).

It is leaps and bounds more realistic and layered, and a completely different game than UFC 2 and while I believe that huge new foundation has to be built upon even further, this is a thread for praises and this is one of mine. Good job on, first of all, having the desire to change it, especially given UFC 2's commercial success and secondly — to actually do it , and quite successfully too. Please carry on in the same vein (*cough*, *cough*, you know what I want, *cough*).

Another thing I find myself enjoying, though it may not be brought by UFC 3 alone, is the level of intricacy in the game. MMA is a complex sport with many facets and the game does a good job of conveying that. I like that it isn't dumbed down to please casual fans. The more you put in the more you're gonna get out and unless you're really high level, there are always new things to learn, as it's a pretty deep game.

The post-launch support is commendable, but I have to say it was actually necessary given the state of the game at launch. The way I see it, that was actually finishing an unfinished game, it was just in front of us. I know they could have just left the game as it was, but if they had done that I'd probably see it as an insult to be honest. Still, thanks to GPD and the team for putting the effort to add so many new features, tweak existing mechanics and communicate with us regularly all for the sake of bettering the game.

johnmangala 05-30-2020 04:55 PM

I think the striking was the best part. UFC 3 had the best striking of any MMA game I’ve played including UD3. From things like mobile strikes, the combo system, vulnerability, to the variety of new inputs.

Also the updates were also done well. I can only hope we receive similar treatment for UFC 4, but I doubt it at this stage.

The only thing that UD3 still has over every other mma game is PRIDE Mode. Which is something I doubt will make it into UFC 4. I would like to see the boxing mode equivalent but I doubt that too.

The thing really lacking in UFC 3 was the grappling, but the updates made it better. If UFC 4 focuses on grappling the way the did for striking in UFC 3, I think it’ll be in the running for the best MMA game.

1212headkick 05-30-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmangala (Post 2050118233)
I think the striking was the best part. UFC 3 had the best striking of any MMA game I’ve played including UD3. From things like mobile strikes, the combo system, vulnerability, to the variety of new inputs.

Also the updates were also done well. I can only hope we receive similar treatment for UFC 4, but I doubt it at this stage.

The only thing that UD3 still has over every other mma game is PRIDE Mode. Which is something I doubt will make it into UFC 4. I would like to see the boxing mode equivalent but I doubt that too.

The thing really lacking in UFC 3 was the grappling, but the updates made it better. If UFC 4 focuses on grappling the way the did for striking in UFC 3, I think it’ll be in the running for the best MMA game.

Pride and far superior grappling

johnmangala 05-30-2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1212headkick (Post 2050118235)
Pride and far superior grappling

True I should’ve phrased it better. What I mean is that if UFC 4 has improved grappling the only thing that UD3 will still have over everything else is PRIDE Mode.

Blackman316 05-30-2020 06:28 PM

For career, they definitely improved immersion. Sadly the gameplay was a bit lacking.

The KO mode and submission showdown were also appreciated.

Grappling also seemed improved from the previous installment.

SHADOW_UFCMMA 05-30-2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomitomitomi (Post 2050118206)
UFC 3's issues are pretty well-acknowledged. The offline modes are lacking, Ultimate Team seems to have been downgraded according to social media and the grappling has been maligned as boring and unintuitive.

Since I'm a shill, I figured we could be wholesome for a change discuss the successes of UFC 3. Here's a few from me.

The striking, despite being quite difficult to grasp initially, is pretty unanimously an upgrade over UFC 2. Since it's a game there's always going to be the most optimal strikes and combos but what really impressed me about UFC 3's striking is that people were learning new tricks and counters to different tactics over time. For example, players now have a better understanding of how to land leg kicks so it would have been interesting to see how something like the early forward sway meta would have been affected by our increased knowledge of leg kicks.

Obviously forward sways were nerfed so we don't actually know, but the post-launch balance changes and introduced mechanics were another thing that stood out about UFC 3. You could argue that it's becoming the norm for online games, but UFC 3 still deserves some praise for it, as many other titles would have saved those features for the next full-priced release. Other fighting games, such as Smash or Street Fighter have considerably less frequent patch notes. I still think they missed the mark on not updating fighter stats/moves until UFC 4 because it seems like a relatively cheap way to keep things fresh, especially when the playerbase is arguably bigger than ever before now, but oh well.

Thirdly, I think UFC 3 had much better stat balancing. There's always going to be the debate about whether the stats should be given with authenticity or competitive integrity in mind, but I think the game improved on both fronts. In previous games the best fighters were usually invincible but UFC 3 did a much better job at keeping characters in line. GSP, for example, has historically been godlike in MMA games. While he's still probably the best fighter in one if not two weight classes, he actually has relatively mediocre health stats to discourage players from brawling with him. Fighters outside the top 5-10 didn't get as much love, as their stamina and health stats were considerably worse than the best fighters' stats but as I understood it was because the GCers in charge had to give those stats without knowing how they would function in-game. Regardless, it's still a step in the right direction from UFC 2.

for me they got the cage stalling right and the transitions they added there. imo best add they added. like when you have someone on the cage like how khabib or colby does. or when your defending take downs on thee cage like izzy.

rabbitfistssaipailo 05-30-2020 10:05 PM

More than anything post launch support from the devs was amazing . The continuous growth and development of the game play mechanics ,that were added really made me look forward to patches .

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app