Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   What does #FixMaddenFranchise mean for others AAA sports game developers? (/forums/showthread.php?t=972044)

hockeyyt988 07-04-2020 12:02 PM

What does #FixMaddenFranchise mean for others AAA sports game developers?

I’m sure many of you saw that #FixMaddenFranchise was trending #1 on Twitter the other day. EA has said “they hear the franchise crowd and are excited to implement changes (paraphrasing)”, we’ll see if that happens but my question is...

What does this mean for other sports games? Will we see an priority on franchise mode come next gen?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Circle the Wagons 07-04-2020 01:02 PM

Re: What does #FixMaddenFranchise mean for others AAA sports game developers?

I have no idea what the statistics are, but it seems like a much larger percentage of Madden’s player base cares about franchise than the Show’s. Look at the twitter replies - 90% are about DD. I don’t get it but to each their own.

Sadly, I think franchise mode in the Show is something of a living fossil at this point and likely isn’t improving next gen. On the plus side, I really do think franchise mode in Madden will eventually get the love it deserves.

Cold Snap 07-04-2020 01:40 PM

It means nothing, because there's no money in franchise.

It's all about JPEGs that disappear in a year.

Microtransactions, microtransactions, microtransactions.

jrnlgrn 07-04-2020 01:49 PM

Short Answer: It means nothing.

Long Answer:
Similar hashtag was trending for career mode in FIFA. Fall of 2018 #fixcareermode was trending for FIFA. Summer of 2019 FIFA announces some additions to career mode community was generally positive. I played the beta for FIFA 20 myself and many other pointed out bugs and issues giving them ample time to acknowledge and fix at least a few of the issues. Radio silence on those issue but ultimate team issues got acknowledged fairly quickly.

Fall of 2019 see the release of FIFA 20 with an unplayable career mode that took almost 2 weeks to get any official acknowledgement of anything even being wrong. The most basic of issues didn't get fixed for almost 6 weeks post release. So I had a game I really couldn't play for almost 2 months after purchase. It's only going to be a priority if those at the top say it should be a priority because and they decide to stop being terrible to a chunk of their player base or that sales drop enough through people voting with their wallets.

Personally I'd expect something new from MLB the Show franchise before anything out of EA. It might sound like an excuse but SDS seems at the very least that they rather not add something than to add something that doesn't work or breaks something. Sure rebrand/relocating teams isn't as fleshed out as it could be but it's not breaking anything. Not to say The Show doesn't have issues but games like Madden and FIFA had better franchise/career modes 10 or 15 years ago and literally have regressed as they take large chunks of option out of their modes.

Rant:
I've said it in similar threads, the actual devs that create the game and put in the hours coding and designing want to make a good game and have lots of great ideas (nobody that creates anything wants to make crap) Blame those at the top that funnel down directives to reduce cost and make more money with less and focus on areas that will make investor portfolios bigger. Support indie studios and smaller developers. Still want to buy your maddens/fifas/the shows go for it but support those other companies as well so they can continue to improve their games and create real competition.

JHodges57 07-04-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrnlgrn (Post 2050140773)
....SDS seems at the very least that they rather not add something than to add something that doesn't work or breaks something.....

Like every patch?

jrnlgrn 07-04-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHodges57 (Post 2050140847)
Like every patch?

I'm speaking specifically about franchise additionsl or lack there of . Gameplay issues are another discussion. I haven't seen any gameplay changes come from the complaints of offline/franchise users needs.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.

JoseJoseph9119 07-04-2020 05:53 PM

At this point, every sports franchise should make a fully fleshed out franchise mode with all the bells and whistles they're capable of and sell it as DLC for $20-30 bucks. That's the only way we'll all be close to happy.

tabarnes19_SDS 07-04-2020 07:32 PM

I believe franchise mode players are a silent majority. There really should be a push NOW while early in dev cycle. Ultimately need to start commenting with money.

If there are not substantial franchise improvements I'm not buying. If I do buy later I'll buy a used copy.

If anything good comes out of recession maybe with lower disposal income the card based modes will take a huge financial hit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk