Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Super Mega Baseball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=686)
-   -   Player abilities (/forums/showthread.php?t=972064)

vols 07-05-2020 09:59 AM

Player abilities

Thinking about buying the game but have a question. I have the PC demo and really like it a lot. Over the course of a season, do the players seem to play true to their abilities? Like the players with high power ratings hitting the most homers and high contact players with fewer strikeouts and pitchers true to their ratings. I'm fine with players playing better than their stats some but overall like to see a difference in players

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Operation Sports mobile app

JayhawkerStL 07-05-2020 09:12 PM

Re: Player abilities

Yes, players tend to play to their ratings.

I will say, though, that from a gameplay standpoint, SMB3 is so on point it's ridiculous. On the mound and at the plate, it feels fair and realistic.

But, this is not a sim. Trying to replicate a real MLB statistical spread would be damn near impossible. The game works in its own universe, trying to create real players that would generate realistic stats would mostly be futile.

But, if you play with a team enough, you get a feel for players and absolutely love or dread when certain players need to make a play. Because MOJO will drive ratings up and down, I am changing my line-ups and how I handle my bullpen regularly. It feels like a realistic season, as SMB's MOJO generates more realistic hot and cold spells than I've seen in any other console baseball game.

Now, customization means you can create real teams and players, and that is awesome and fun. Personally, I'm going with random pop culture stars and characters who I've liked from different things.

My leadoff hitter this week was shortstop Henry Standing Bear, the owner of the Red Pony tavern, and best friends with Walt Longmire. Mina Kimes and Joel Embiid are both starting pitchers for me. And John Brown is my power hitting 1st baseman. I have Jordan Binnington closing games, and Pat Mahomes is my lockdown reliever.

Just like with a real team, you get a feel for how to use your players and such, some are better than others for how you play. Players are not interchangeable. There are pluses and minuses. John Brown is a liability in the field, so I often have to take him out if I have a lead.

vols 07-05-2020 10:03 PM

Re: Player abilities

Thanks a lot! I appreciate all the info. I always liked a true sim like the show but the demo of SMB3 just plays great baseball. I love how pitching you can actually walk batters realistically. The game seems to keep your intrest easily! Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Operation Sports mobile app