Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show Rosters (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522)
-   -   2009 90ish Man Roster (/forums/showthread.php?t=972070)

BDaniels20 07-05-2020 08:47 PM

2009 90ish Man Roster

I’ve been working on creating a 2009 90ish man roster using the RBU Ratings and Bacon’s fictional as a base.

Originally this was something I was just doing for fun to use on my own and wasn’t planning on sharing but I’ve fallen behind on progress and have a lot going on now so I’m not sure I’d even be able to finish on my own so felt I might as well post about it.

I used Bacon’s as a base because I think his player models are real well done and actually look human while having enough unique players that there are that many repeats. I’m awful at face creation and having a player without their true likeness – though I did try to match the skin colors and am pretty sure there aren’t any guys who are badly off - isn’t something that really ruins the game for me at all so you’ll see the roster is mainly Bacon’s creations with edited information. That being said, for the majority of MLB players I was able to find them on other rosters and important them and then age them forward however much was necessary so there are a ton of other people’s creations way too much to ever properly give credit, but for the most part the MLB players look like themselves.

To get closer to making it towards 90 guys a team I did add notable players that were either drafted or signed internationally in the next few years and aged them back towards what they would have been in 2009.

As far as progress goes I’m actually pretty far a long and will try to detail it below in an easy way to follow.

Creation / Addition of Players – All Players are created and added to the right team. 30/30

Ages / Positions / Service Time – All Players have the proper information. Service time is only edited to the correct year I didn’t include days. 30/30

Rating of Hitters – All hitters are rated using RBU. I did use some hindsight where necessary and adjusted some guys who had bad years, were hurt, broke out later etc… to give them a chance of reaching their real-life outcomes in the game. 30/30

Rating of Pitchers – Begun ratings for pitchers using RBU. I did use some hindsight where necessary and adjusted some guys who had bad years, were hurt, broke out later etc… to give them a chance of reaching their real-life outcomes in the game. Anyways, at this point I have 7/30 done.

Pitch Edits - I wasn't really happy with the way I had been doing pitch edits previously and MBMavs shared his edits with me that go back to 2009 so I decided I'm going to use those since they're really well done. So far 2/30 Teams With Pitch Edits

Contracts – The plan is to go through and give everyone at least the correct contract duration if not the exact money values. I tested this with a few guys on the Yankees, CC and Teixeira, who had both signed new contracts prior to that season. For some reason while it showed them with the proper contract duration on the player edit screen within an active franchise their player cards were subtracting their service time from the contract. So for example, CC’s player card showed him as being a 2021 free agent while Teixeira’s had 3 years or so. Not sure if this is just a graphics bug or something that I was doing wrong but will have to play around with that bit more to figure it out to get it done properly. Anyways, at this point I have 0/30 done.

So, if anyone would want to help it’s greatly appreciated even if you only have time for small bits. The pitcher’s ratings are the only big part left so even knocking out a team or two would be a great help to me. Like I said I wasn’t planning on sharing this but have run into some delays which is why I’m posting but not expecting anyone to bend over backwards to make this happen.

For those of you that don’t have time but are interested in the roster I’ll try and keep the progress updated and will share the finished roster if I do get to the finish line as I personally think it’s coming out pretty well.

Stamina30 07-06-2020 01:01 AM

Re: 2009 90ish Man Roster

Ok. Are you willing to share?
Quote:

Originally Posted by BDaniels20 (Post 2050141477)
I’ve been working on creating a 2009 90ish man roster using the RBU Ratings and Bacon’s fictional as a base.

Originally this was something I was just doing for fun to use on my own and wasn’t planning on sharing but I’ve fallen behind on progress and have a lot going on now so I’m not sure I’d even be able to finish on my own so felt I might as well post about it.

I used Bacon’s as a base because I think his player models are real well done and actually look human while having enough unique players that there are that many repeats. I’m awful at face creation and having a player without their true likeness – though I did try to match the skin colors and am pretty sure there aren’t any guys who are badly off - isn’t something that really ruins the game for me at all so you’ll see the roster is mainly Bacon’s creations with edited information. That being said, for the majority of MLB players I was able to find them on other rosters and important them and then age them forward however much was necessary so there are a ton of other people’s creations way too much to ever properly give credit, but for the most part the MLB players look like themselves.

To get closer to making it towards 90 guys a team I did add notable players that were either drafted or signed internationally in the next few years and aged them back towards what they would have been in 2009.

As far as progress goes I’m actually pretty far a long and will try to detail it below in an easy way to follow.

Creation / Addition of Players – All Players are created and added to the right team. 30/30

Ages / Positions / Service Time – All Players have the proper information. Service time is only edited to the correct year I didn’t include days. 30/30

Rating of Hitters – All hitters are rated using RBU. I did use some hindsight where necessary and adjusted some guys who had bad years, were hurt, broke out later etc… to give them a chance of reaching their real-life outcomes in the game. 30/30

Rating of Pitchers – Begun ratings for pitchers using RBU. I did use some hindsight where necessary and adjusted some guys who had bad years, were hurt, broke out later etc… to give them a chance of reaching their real-life outcomes in the game.

For pitches / velocity I’ve been using Fangraphs as it’s just the easiest method at the moment. Though because of how they track pitches, I’ve only been using Curveballs / Changeups instead of the variations the game offers. They also list 2-Seamers as Sinkers so for uniformity have just been following that. While game play wise I’ve sort of convinced myself that I’m going to prefer the Sinker method as in the game 2-Seamers don’t do much and aren’t all that useful. However, it does cause the Velocity rating of a lot of guys to list at 99 since their 2-Seam would be around 92 which is the max for a Sinker. I could definitely see people not liking that method so figured I’d give the heads up. May be something I go back and mess with on any future versions of this either later this year or on future games. Anyways, at this point I have 4/30 done.

Contracts – The plan is to go through and give everyone at least the correct contract duration if not the exact money values. I tested this with a few guys on the Yankees, CC and Teixeira, who had both signed new contracts prior to that season. For some reason while it showed them with the proper contract duration on the player edit screen within an active franchise their player cards were subtracting their service time from the contract. So for example, CC’s player card showed him as being a 2021 free agent while Teixeira’s had 3 years or so. Not sure if this is just a graphics bug or something that I was doing wrong but will have to play around with that bit more to figure it out to get it done properly. Anyways, at this point I have 0/30 done.

So, if anyone would want to help it’s greatly appreciated even if you only have time for small bits. The pitcher’s ratings are the only big part left so even knocking out a team or two would be a great help to me. Like I said I wasn’t planning on sharing this but have run into some delays which is why I’m posting but not expecting anyone to bend over backwards to make this happen.

For those of you that don’t have time but are interested in the roster I’ll try and keep the progress updated and will share the finished roster if I do get to the finish line as I personally think it’s coming out pretty well.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Operation Sports mobile app

Grentthealien 07-06-2020 11:04 AM

Hey PM me. I actually found an ok 2010 roster the other day that I was planning to use as a base for the 2008 and 2009 seasons, but based on what you’ve wrote about your roster helping you with this would probably be worth my time more.

The biggest thing I can offer is time. I’m unemployed, not in school and live with family so I don’t have many obligations to fulfill in the present. That may change, but for the time being I have nothing but time. The only thing that could get in the way are some personal issues I’m struggling with, but other than that I think I at least feel up to rating at worst a few of the teams pitchers and at best the maybe even the remaining 25 teams pitchers. Not making any guarantees, but we’ll see. For the time being I’ll try to do a few teams and see how that goes first.

I am not familiar with RBU or Fan graphs in the slightest so you are going to have to give me a detailed in and outs on how to use them until I get the hang of it. Basically if You be the brains then I’ll be the hands. It sounds like that’s what you need more now anyways as you’ve put a lot of thought into this and it’s just time and life that’s getting in the way.

Anyway 2009 and 2008 are rosters I’ve wanted in the show for years now and this seems like the best way available for this to be achieved so I’m willing to help a bit if need be.

MBMavs20 07-07-2020 12:12 AM

I have a link to my pitch edits if you would like to use them or look through them as a resource.

All the info on pitches were taken from Brooksbaseball.net. I used my own formula for control and movement. Sheet 1 starts with 2007, Sheet 2 has 2008, etc...

Hope this helps.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing