Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports UFC (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=535)
-   -   Suggestions on taking emphasis off of combos (/forums/showthread.php?t=972194)

Freshly Baked Gregg 07-09-2020 06:38 AM

Suggestions on taking emphasis off of combos

The striking in UFC 3 is good. It’s relatively balanced. However it’s not great, as it’s kind of plagued by body knees and those silly spinning jumping kicks (which people will tell you are easily countered but that’s not exactly true).

Anyway, I think the biggest problem with the striking is that there is too much emphasis on combinations. I think the largest problem with combinations is that they get benefits like increased speed and damage without any real downsides. If you miss the first shot (because the opponent evades) it’s all sunshine and rainbows because the next one will track their head and hit them anyway, unless they evade again.

My point is that all shots in the combination should be aimed in the same area so that combinations don’t have this huge advantage over single shots.

Although I wouldn’t know what should happen in the scenario where someone throws a jab uppercut and the jab is ducked but the uppercut is there to meet. I guess the uppercut should glance off the forehead or something rather than hit the jaw as it’s aimed higher (where the jab was aimed). The person certainly shouldn’t SLIDE ACROSS the floor when the uppercut is thrown in the event that the jab was in range and the uppercut wasn’t.

I’m also a huge advocate for the idea that if you input a combo super fast the shots come out faster with less damage and if you put the shots in slowly they come out slower and with more damage.

Reinfarcements 07-09-2020 07:18 AM

Re: Suggestions on taking emphasis off of combos

Idea I've had for a while is to make strikes that hit a block cost more stamina than strikes that land flush. In a realism sense I see it as strikes hitting a fighter that is "rolling with the punches" and perhaps even doing "mini parries" which would take a bit more out of you than hitting a target clean. From a gameplay perspective, it would make combo spam less appealing to break through block due to taxing your stamina. I'd also suggest lowering block strength slightly though, so that it would still be possible to break blocks, just at the cost of more stamina.

Freshly Baked Gregg 07-09-2020 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinfarcements (Post 2050143958)
Idea I've had for a while is to make strikes that hit a block cost more stamina than strikes that land flush. In a realism sense I see it as strikes hitting a fighter that is "rolling with the punches" and perhaps even doing "mini parries" which would take a bit more out of you than hitting a target clean. From a gameplay perspective, it would make combo spam less appealing to break through block due to taxing your stamina. I'd also suggest lowering block strength slightly though, so that it would still be possible to break blocks, just at the cost of more stamina.

Personally I think the block should be instantly broken by all straight strikes. I have never seen someone block a straight strike like they do in this game. The strike just goes straight through. The block should only block round strikes, and I think the health of the block needs to be reduced significantly so that 2 round strikes break the block. Blocking is just not that common in MMA.

rabbitfistssaipailo 07-09-2020 07:34 AM

As someone stated here previously in another thread , the problem with combos is that each shot is delivered with the same speed and power .

Perhaps that maybe true or false but I believe combos should stay but a power modifier or button sensitivity could help coupled with better stamina mechanisms .

If I tap the button light and hard on the third strike . That would add variation on the 1-2 .

Left too me I would remove all unrealistic combos , especially the ones to the body but it wouldn't be much would it .

Single strikes are effective too , dealing with the jab can very troublesome in this game for most people myself included .

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app

Freshly Baked Gregg 07-09-2020 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbitfistssaipailo (Post 2050143962)
As someone stated here previously in another thread , the problem with combos is that each shot is delivered with the same speed and power .

Perhaps that maybe true or false but I believe combos should stay but a power modifier or button sensitivity could help coupled with better stamina mechanisms .

If I tap the button light and hard on the third strike . That would add variation on the 1-2 .

Left too me I would remove all unrealistic combos , especially the ones to the body but it wouldn't be much would it .

Single strikes are effective too , dealing with the jab can very troublesome in this game for most people myself included .

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app

Single jabs are pretty good in this game, I agree, but single straights are severely underpowered. In a match just before, I hit a guy with 4 straights to the face in a row (it was pretty funny) with perfect distancing, catching him on full extension, but I didn’t even get a stun.

I think the biggest problem with combos is the tracking and the sliding across the floor when firing a combo, but yes, I agree with the suggestion you mention.

oilersfan365 07-09-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshly Baked Gregg (Post 2050143959)
Personally I think the block should be instantly broken by all straight strikes. I have never seen someone block a straight strike like they do in this game. The strike just goes straight through. The block should only block round strikes, and I think the health of the block needs to be reduced significantly so that 2 round strikes break the block. Blocking is just not that common in MMA.

In my muay thai class we are taught to catch the jab, parry the straight, wing block hooks, a a t block uppercuts. They need to bring back parties some how just make it not spamable by implementing a bigger stamina tax on people who spam the parries

Freshly Baked Gregg 07-09-2020 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilersfan365 (Post 2050143979)
In my muay thai class we are taught to catch the jab, parry the straight, wing block hooks, a a t block uppercuts. They need to bring back parties some how just make it not spamable by implementing a bigger stamina tax on people who spam the parries

I reckon the parry should return. Maybe just hitting the block button but there’s a really tight window and it can’t be spammed.

BigSmoke 07-09-2020 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshly Baked Gregg (Post 2050143984)
I reckon the parry should return. Maybe just hitting the block button but there’s a really tight window and it can’t be spammed.

Would be all for the parry, but it needs to be a tool that sets the good strikers apart from the great.
Not everyone should be able to do it, and the window should be as small as a block counter.