Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   A reason to stop playing (/forums/showthread.php?t=973450)

SALonghorn 08-03-2020 12:36 AM

A reason to stop playing

Playing MLB 19 with my Indians vs Astros

The first image is my top of 1st inning
1 double and 3 line outs on hittable fastballs with good timing/contact

The second image is the bottom of 1st with Carrasco pitching. If I’m not mistaken, all 4 batters had 2 strikes on them, thus the location of my pitches

Results:
1 solo home run
1 single
2 doubles

WTH?!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

itsmb8 08-03-2020 12:57 AM

Re: A reason to stop playing

Quote:

Originally Posted by SALonghorn (Post 2050166087)
Playing MLB 19 with my Indians vs Astros

The first image is my top of 1st inning
1 double and 3 line outs on hittable fastballs with good timing/contact

The second image is the bottom of 1st with Carrasco pitching
1 solo home run
1 single
2 doubles

WTH?!

Why Ive decided to stick to OOTP. For realism id rather NOT see gameplay like in The Show, because that way I have nothing to complain about.

My closer gives up 4 to lose the game? He must've had a bad day and grooved some pitches instead of the CPU mashing unhittable pitches.

SALonghorn 08-03-2020 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmb8 (Post 2050166094)
Why Ive decided to stick to OOTP. For realism id rather NOT see gameplay like in The Show, because that way I have nothing to complain about.

My closer gives up 4 to lose the game? He must've had a bad day and grooved some pitches instead of the CPU mashing unhittable pitches.

What is OOTP?

Caulfield 08-03-2020 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SALonghorn (Post 2050166115)
What is OOTP?

Out Of The Park baseball, text based game for PC's

forme95 08-03-2020 08:08 AM

I dont see the problem. One, its 1 inning. I am a die hard Indians fan and use them every year with the show. Ive had plenty of games where Cookie starts off like this and ends with not giving up another run and striking out 10+. Ive also had games where Cookie has looked like a AA #5 starter. I would never judge him by 1 half inning. As for the hits, they just made good contact. Other then the HR, placement was good. Hitters get lucky. Hell, I have seen in RL Lindor hit a squared up meatball right to someone plenty of times. The beauty of this game is, hits can lead to nothing and nothing can lead to hits.

Funkycorm 08-03-2020 09:32 AM

How did the rest of the game go? Where they hitting well all game long? What difficulty and sliders were you using?

I have had my share of ughh moments with the show this year. We all have. I would guess the outside pitch resulted in a double down the line. Makes sense. And the single could have been the low pitch. The other 2 are still low in the strike zone and the hitters could be good low ball hitters. I have crushed low balls and pitches in all of those location for hits.

All pitchers get hit around at times. But I am confused a little. Do you expect all 3 up and 3 down innings? Not trying to knock but complaining about one inning where hitters get lucky just like they do in real life is a very small sample size. Does this happen consistently for you?

Bullit 08-03-2020 09:38 AM

If you are looking for reasons to quit you will always find them.

Try working on solutions to make the game fun for you again.

I am just as guilty, but I worked thru it and now I am more in love with this game than ever.

SALonghorn 08-03-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forme95 (Post 2050166211)
I dont see the problem. One, its 1 inning. I am a die hard Indians fan and use them every year with the show. Ive had plenty of games where Cookie starts off like this and ends with not giving up another run and striking out 10+. Ive also had games where Cookie has looked like a AA #5 starter. I would never judge him by 1 half inning. As for the hits, they just made good contact. Other then the HR, placement was good. Hitters get lucky. Hell, I have seen in RL Lindor hit a squared up meatball right to someone plenty of times. The beauty of this game is, hits can lead to nothing and nothing can lead to hits.

It doesn't matter if it's the 1st inning...or if it's an All Star or AA #5 starter...

Part of the fun/challenge of MLB The Show is it takes skill to be successful. It takes a lot of practice pitching to consistently hit the target with such a loose stick. The same with hitting - if your location and timing are off, you won't have much fun. Mix in the individual skills of the player you use...and you have the receipe for a great game.

However, when Zimmer, Lindor, JRam, and C Santana all get fastballs in those spots with good+ timing but go for 1-for-4, you can say "That's a shame. Should have been a big inning." But then you hit those spots in pitching with 2 strikes on the batters and they go 4-for-4 with 3 runs and no outs...then the game seems more like a random number generator than skill. That HR pitch was that skill challenge of pitching. I wanted to hit just outside the corner strike zone but slightly missed it. Those two pitches way out of the strike zone...those were supposed to be chase pitches with 2 strikes.

Flip the results of the half innings, and which teams should be up 3-0 based in those pitch locations?
Part of the reason I felt compelled to post this experience is that it seems to be a trend during my current season. My pitching stats are not that impressive this season compared the many seasons I've played on other previous The Show games. Too many games I've had to tell myself "Hitter got lucky." While I improve my hitting with more playing time, and yet still line out game after game.

I lost the game 4-5. Carrasco had 10+ KOs and pitched 8 innings. Remove the 1st inning...would have been a 4-2 win.

Being an Indians fan in Texas, I don't see too many Indian games. What is the source of the Cookie nickname?