Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   Haven't seen this posted here, AI driven gameplay = Next Gen possibilities? (/forums/showthread.php?t=973459)

JBulls 08-03-2020 07:45 AM

Haven't seen this posted here, AI driven gameplay = Next Gen possibilities?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pBkFAIUmWu0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I thought this was really cool, I think something like this will probably be in 2k21, or at least should be.

keshunleon 08-03-2020 03:25 PM

Re: Haven't seen this posted here, AI driven gameplay = Next Gen possibilities?

This is fly, if 2K removes all the none human animations I'd be good.

There are about 10 animations that is triggered that NEVER happens in the NBA.

Starting with that standing jump straight up finger roll.

JBulls 08-03-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keshunleon (Post 2050166641)
This is fly, if 2K removes all the none human animations I'd be good.

There are about 10 animations that is triggered that NEVER happens in the NBA.

Starting with that standing jump straight up finger roll.

Not sure this would help in addressing that kind of stuff, at least explicitly tbh, this looks to me like it would just help the flow and transitions of the movement animations to look much more natural and seamless instead of what it currently looks like which is jumping from one recorded animation sequence to the next which is what current games mostly use.

Masai 08-07-2020 09:30 AM

The more realistic the player movement is the more casuals that realize they actually wont be able to compete and thus give up.
Thats why 2k has all the cheese animations and “turbo”

JBulls 10-16-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masai (Post 2050170358)
The more realistic the player movement is the more casuals that realize they actually wont be able to compete and thus give up.
Thats why 2k has all the cheese animations and “turbo”

Not sure whether this is true or not but since gameplay vids have come out for next gen it pretty much seems like we still have the old animation system in place with some upgrades, sad :(

swaggedout 10-16-2020 07:53 PM

Looks good, but I don't believe it will work. If implemented in 2k, then everyone will dribble the same way. As well as shooting, dunking, etc. If you played backbreaker football you'll understand. Everyone in that game moved, ran, blocked, tackled, threw, kicked, the same way. Not to mention the ragdoll effect. If the can keep, signature movements while using this tech, then it might work.

mcdowell31 10-16-2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaggedout (Post 2050240225)
Looks good, but I don't believe it will work. If implemented in 2k, then everyone will dribble the same way. As well as shooting, dunking, etc. If you played backbreaker football you'll understand. Everyone in that game moved, ran, blocked, tackled, threw, kicked, the same way. Not to mention the ragdoll effect. If the can keep, signature movements while using this tech, then it might work.

Good point. If 2K started working with this perhaps it could be introduced 2-3 years into the forthcoming console generation. Then the evolution of the technology would be feeding it motion capture data of specific players for the AI to copy. If the AI had specific data to build from (dribble packages, dunk/shot packages of specific players) that would truly give the onscreen player "DNA". DNA could then become something real rather than just a marketing term. Maybe we would see that 4-5 years toward the end of the forthcoming generation.

Nza 10-18-2020 03:42 AM

This is affiliated with EA, right? the research in the video that is. I thought I read someone here say that before.

If EA could get their act together, NBA Live could eke out a solid market of more realistic basketball. In time they would then target the casuals, but they could get a solid grounding going for a quantum leap in realism. In the past this is how 2nd fiddle sports gaming franchises had managed to grab control.