Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Diamond Dynasty (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=530)
-   -   MLB The Show 20: Signature Series Jon Lester Added to 7th Inning Program (/forums/showthread.php?t=974400)

ChaseB 08-20-2020 06:08 PM

MLB The Show 20: Signature Series Jon Lester Added to 7th Inning Program

Signature Series Jon Lester is the newest player added to the 7th Inning Program. He is...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.

papadell 08-20-2020 07:25 PM

Re: MLB The Show 20: Signature Series Jon Lester Added to 7th Inning Program

Got through all these except the Rockies one so far. Might revisit or just try for online missions. My experience that hopefully can help some people:

-The CPU either fouled off everything or took extremely close pitches. You'll get your strikeouts over time obviously but these were tough for some reason. The Sweeping Curve isn't as effective as a Slider usually is against the CPU. Normally you can just go up and in or up and away in the zone with fastballs and peel sliders off the plate and get easy chases. But it just doesn't work with his curve. Even the cutter doesn't work with this sequencing. I had more luck with the changeup, which runs counter to most experiences with changeups in the game.

-For me, Lester was way easier to control out of the stretch. If you get into spots where you can actually walk someone to speed up and possibly control him better, maybe try walking someone and try it that way. Intentionally, of course. I'm not joking when I say the CPU is making contact with everything.

-I had a couple groundballs hit to me where Lester's throw meter was AWFUL. He's notoriously a terrible thrower to 1st, so I'm sure this is the stats shining through (which is great and realistic) but be mindful of that. I'm actually surprised I nailed green throws because it caught me off guard the couple times it happened.

-The general sequencing I used was: 4S up and away, 4S up and in, changeup WAY low and away out of the zone to RH and changeup WAY low and in to LH. This was the most successful sequence even though the CPU definitely slapped stuff around. I had ZERO success with the curve and the cutter didn't do much either. The Sinker is good low in the zone almost as an offspeed pitch but they weren't chasing it at all. I couldn't even get double plays with the sinker or cutter.

nymets2020 08-20-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coxatron (Post 2050183059)
Got through all these except the Rockies one so far. Might revisit or just try for online missions. My experience that hopefully can help some people:

-The CPU either fouled off everything or took extremely close pitches. You'll get your strikeouts over time obviously but these were tough for some reason. The Sweeping Curve isn't as effective as a Slider usually is against the CPU. Normally you can just go up and in or up and away in the zone with fastballs and peel sliders off the plate and get easy chases. But it just doesn't work with his curve. Even the cutter doesn't work with this sequencing. I had more luck with the changeup, which runs counter to most experiences with changeups in the game.

-For me, Lester was way easier to control out of the stretch. If you get into spots where you can actually walk someone to speed up and possibly control him better, maybe try walking someone and try it that way. Intentionally, of course. I'm not joking when I say the CPU is making contact with everything.

-I had a couple groundballs hit to me where Lester's throw meter was AWFUL. He's notoriously a terrible thrower to 1st, so I'm sure this is the stats shining through (which is great and realistic) but be mindful of that. I'm actually surprised I nailed green throws because it caught me off guard the couple times it happened.

-The general sequencing I used was: 4S up and away, 4S up and in, changeup WAY low and away out of the zone to RH and changeup WAY low and in to LH. This was the most successful sequence even though the CPU definitely slapped stuff around. I had ZERO success with the curve and the cutter didn't do much either. The Sinker is good low in the zone almost as an offspeed pitch but they weren't chasing it at all. I couldn't even get double plays with the sinker or cutter.

No joke I had to do Rockies moment about 8 times.

kenp86 08-20-2020 08:42 PM

didnt have a problem with any of these but his control isnt great while playing. at least for me. ill be looking to sell him

ChaseB 08-20-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenp86 (Post 2050183141)
didnt have a problem with any of these but his control isnt great while playing. at least for me. ill be looking to sell him

If only you could sell the player program players, if only.

kenp86 08-20-2020 09:13 PM

yep lol just realized you couldnt. if only...

papadell 08-20-2020 09:35 PM

Can't sell him but make sure you collect him in the Inning Program for Program Stars and if you haven't finished the Sig Collection he's a good candidate since he's No Sell.