Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   The Yard is pretty slick, but there is a lot to learn (/forums/showthread.php?t=974561)

JayhawkerStL 08-23-2020 01:18 PM

The Yard is pretty slick, but there is a lot to learn

This is not a thread to justify the inclusion of The Yard in the game. It is in the game, and the thread is intended for people playing that want help learning how to improve.

Last night I finally started to get a feel for how to run plays on offense. Up until then I was just running plays and looking for open guys and running around, with some success.

But I start looking at the routes, and figuring out how to chain the passes to throw the other team off. I don't know how to read defense for 6v6, so it's hard to know exactly what I'm up against, so I'm just trying to see which receiver might come loose, and how I can move the defense to other side of the field.

But I lack any real foundation for my choices so far. I'm just running stuff and seeing how it works. I have yet to play online yet, which I may just have to do. Everyone is learning.

I'm really excited to play this with teammates, but I want to figure out what I'm doing first.

xCoachDx 08-23-2020 01:47 PM

Re: The Yard is pretty slick, but there is a lot to learn

I’m already seeing AI manipulation by using motion and snapping when WR is near the center. It causes defenders zone responsibility to switch to the opposite side of the field. Not only that, it’s incredibly easy to see whether a team is in zone or man coverage.

The Yard is actually pretty damn fun, but there are simple things that need to be fixed before these issues becomes prominent.

Also, why no run plays? Is that because there is only hit stick blocking?

JayhawkerStL 08-23-2020 02:07 PM

There are run plays, its just that you can do either on msot plays. You can't run with the whoever recieves the snap, but once you toss to someone else in the backfield, they can run or pass.

Some of the routes are actually blocking, and are meant to be runs. I run on a ton of my plays.

I think there is a danger that with some many moving pieces that it can become massively unbalanced. But i also think that as we find ways to exploit, defenses will find ways to bait the offense.

It's also why I think this is essentially an online game. The solo challenges and matches are meant to teach you the game, not be the primary way it is played.

And since it is so new, everyone trying to learn are going to find things to exploit. What will be unclear is if that can lead to interesting and fun strategies, or money plays and nano blitzes.

sniperhare 08-23-2020 02:31 PM

Is your height and weight determined by the archetype you select?

kennylc321 08-23-2020 06:40 PM

I did see your disclaimer.

With that said I kind of wish people would boycot this yard nonsense but it wouldn’t matter.

Ea would simply say “what? No one wants to play this stupid mode? Then we better cancel franchise so that they don’t have a choice”

kehlis 08-23-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennylc321 (Post 2050186363)
I did see your disclaimer.

With that said I kind of wish people would boycot this yard nonsense but it wouldn’t matter.

Ea would simply say “what? No one wants to play this stupid mode? Then we better cancel franchise so that they don’t have a choice”

What are you even talking about? This isn't making sense to me.

Datninja619 08-23-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xCoachDx (Post 2050185988)
I’m already seeing AI manipulation by using motion and snapping when WR is near the center. It causes defenders zone responsibility to switch to the opposite side of the field. Not only that, it’s incredibly easy to see whether a team is in zone or man coverage.

The Yard is actually pretty damn fun, but there are simple things that need to be fixed before these issues becomes prominent.

Also, why no run plays? Is that because there is only hit stick blocking?

I've found that you can create run plays throwing to a WR that runs behind LOS when they are by the QB. It turns into a handoff when they are close.

I haven't tried other methods though

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Operation Sports mobile app

JayhawkerStL 08-23-2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datninja619 (Post 2050186699)
I've found that you can create run plays throwing to a WR that runs behind LOS when they are by the QB. It turns into a handoff when they are close.

I haven't tried other methods though

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Operation Sports mobile app

And you can chain that run, by by then having the WR hit another receiver before crossing the line of scrimmage, so it becomes a sort of RPO. Have lane, keep it, LB closing in, hit the slot guy on a slant, or maybe pitch it to the QB and let him throw.

Right now, I've kind of just trying stuff. It was just a moment where some of the game began to click for me that made me understand the routes and their intent.

I think playing this with humans will be just fantastic, though. The trick is how hard it will be to get X number of players up to speed. It only works if enough players are interested. Basketball and hockey are still an easier sell than 6v6 football with double passes on a 60 yard field.

I screwed up in a game earlier when on first down, I got close to a first down, and was able to fight for it, leaving me a 1st and goal from the 20. Had I gone down a yard earlier, it would have been 2nd and 1 from the 21, making it much easier to start with much better field position after picking up a first down.