Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports UFC (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=535)
-   -   KO Power (Heavy Hitter Perk Idea) (/forums/showthread.php?t=975066)

TheRizzzle 08-31-2020 08:29 AM

KO Power (Heavy Hitter Perk Idea)

Would be really curious to talk through this with the fellas who put the ratings together to see what they think about my idea.

I've been thinking about an idea to make more knockouts feel true to their fighters.

I actually believe that the way knockouts worked in the last game and the way they've been described for this game (I still don't own it), are how most knockouts are formed...from accumulated damage of some sort.

But then there are those one shot killers who really don't get represented in the game very well.

I'm going to provide a combination solution that theoretically would work side-by-side with the current system.

Two New Additions
  1. Heavy Hitter Perk
  2. "Perfect Perfect" strike

Heavy Hitter Perk

For starters, this perk would only apply to the following fighters AND would only be assigned to certain moves.

Fighters with perk
Jairzinho Rozenstruik
Francis Ngannou
Derrick Lewis
Anthony Johnson
Junior dos Santos
Volkan Oezdemir
Tyron Woodley
Conor McGregor
Jeremy Stephens
(willing to entertain the idea of other fighters, but keep in mind you'd need to assign it to a specific move AND...make sure they aren't really a "perfect perfect" striker (see below))

For example, Francis Ngannou would have this perk and it apply only to his upper cuts and overhands. You could give it to Dan Henderson also, but it would only apply to his right hand overhand and uppercut (the H-bomb).

Here is the perk thoughts:
Whatever the highest damage possible for any given strike is currently, double it if the fighter with this perk uses it on an unblocked opponent.

Now, it has to be balanced, correct? So if you use this perk and you swing and miss completely, whatever the highest stamina tax for any missed strike is currently, double it.

Essentially, there are some fighters that have enormous power and they couple it with throwing it with everything they've got on certain strikes. This yields ungodly results when it goes well (one hitter knockouts) and very poorly when it doesn't (Ngannou looking completely gassed against Stipe).

The key is the stamina balance AND only giving to fighters who truly deserve and making sure it only applies to moves where they've demonstrated such ability (you don't want Ngannou to be head kick KOing people the same way he does with his uppercuts and overhands).

"Perfect Perfect" strike
I've borrowed this concept from MLB the Show. In the baseball game, if you time a swing AND center the ball perfectly, you get what's called a "perfect perfect" contact.

In the baseball game a hitters ratings effect how big his "contact circle" is (larger circle, better chance of "perfect" timing/squaring up). I feel like fighter ratings should have a similar effect in the game, but should still largely depend on user input.

NOW, this doesn't mean you get a home run every time, but it dramatically increases your chances of a good result (I believe it's almost 70% more effective if I recall correctly).

So for an MMA game, what I would propose is this:
If you throw the perfect counter strike at the perfect distance against OR you throw a strike from the perfect striking distance against a completely unblocked resistance, you get a "perfect perfect" strike.

The result of that perfect strike shouldn't automatically result in a knockout, but maybe it should at least 50% of the time. The other half could generate a guaranteed rock, maybe a dropped opponent or at the very least a wobble every time (depending on the fighters stats who executed the perfect strike with maybe some chin stats from the fighter taking the perfect strike).

This element would introduce some form of "randomness" for one-hitter knockouts from fighters who really aren't power punchers, but land a perfect precise strike that the human jaw simply isn't able to take.

You'd see more flash KO's this way. The game would feel a little more dangerous AND SIM/competitive players could always have a dev point to them and tell them what they did wrong.

Alright, that's my pitch.

Now, before anyone says anything, I know this isn't EASY to implement (nothing is apparently lol). But I figured I'd introduce the concept at a high level and see if it's even viable as an idea with the concept of "balancing" the game while also trying to capture some of the "randomness" of MMA.

Thoughts?

Reinfarcements 08-31-2020 11:48 AM

Re: KO Power (Heavy Hitter Perk Idea)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRizzzle (Post 2050195238)
This element would introduce some form of "randomness" for one-hitter knockouts from fighters who really aren't power punchers, but land a perfect precise strike that the human jaw simply isn't able to take.

While I was always a fan of it when it was done right (Fight Night Champion) apparently RNG is the devil around these parts. So probably not going to be received well.

TheRizzzle 08-31-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinfarcements (Post 2050195445)
While I was always a fan of it when it was done right (Fight Night Champion) apparently RNG is the devil around these parts. So probably not going to be received well.

I used randomness because that's how it's often described in these circles. But im not actually advocating for RNG.

In reality, nothing in MMA is random. There are a lot of lucky punches though.

If I fight Martial Mind online he's going to wash me almost everytime. Doesn't mean I can't one day throw a perfect strike from the perfect distance and catch him for a KO. Was it random? No, all the conditions were correct for it to happen.

Could I replicate it game over game at the same level he could? No, and thats why it's still skill based.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reinfarcements 08-31-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRizzzle (Post 2050195468)
I used randomness because that's how it's often described in these circles. But im not actually advocating for RNG.

In reality, nothing in MMA is random. There are a lot of lucky punches though.

If I fight Martial Mind online he's going to wash me almost everytime. Doesn't mean I can't one day throw a perfect strike from the perfect distance and catch him for a KO. Was it random? No, all the conditions were correct for it to happen.

Could I replicate it game over game at the same level he could? No, and thats why it's still skill based.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RNG done right (Fight Night Champion) is still absolutely skill based. Having a 50% chance to KO someone, even under very specific perimeters, is still RNG.

You are absolutely correct when you say nothing in MMA is random in reality. The issue is, no one has found a way to replicate feeling of "anything can happen" except with RNG. Which I still think is a very capable system when done right. This would include skill checks like you mention, counters, perfect distance shots, ect.

Kind of like Fight Night Champion (I keep mentioning Fight Night because its striking is largely celebrated by this community despite the fact it used the big no-no........RNG)

lbnt149 09-05-2020 03:57 PM

Big fan of all the ideas put forward on this thread

It needs something new introduced! Something like this could really freshen up the stand up and give that feeling of danger

Counter Punch 09-06-2020 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinfarcements (Post 2050195445)

With the current vulnerability system RNG really isn’t necessary. Max vulnerability is so small in certain scenarios that I don’t think it’s humanly possibly to intentionally time it consistently to get a flash KO. There is some luck involved, so it’s basically the best aspects of RNG without the BS. I think vulnerability could definitely be tweaked to be less forgiving when it comes to taking damage, but that battle has been fought and lost already.