Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   A small franchise tweak that would go a long way (/forums/showthread.php?t=975922)

zmonkey 09-14-2020 12:35 PM

A small franchise tweak that would go a long way

I was playing my franchise mode last night and I ran into the same thing that stops a lot of my franchise modes: I had the number 3 overall pick and I picked a mediocre quarterback with normal development. That got me to thinking about why I bounce off the games when I run across situations like that and comparing it to the real NFL. When I draft that player, Madden instantly tells me everything there is to know about him now and in the future. I know he's not going to develop into a phenomenal, face of the NFL type player. I know he's going to take a few years until he reaches his full potential. I instantly know his ceiling and his floor. Before I've had a chance to experiment with him or develop him or see what he's good at, it's all laid on the table in front of me. Why? In the NFL it normally takes years of training, coaching and live games to figure out where a player is going to fall in the grand scheme of things. Why does Madden feel the need to just give it to me day one?

If I could play a mode where I couldn't see those ratings up front and had to unlock them from game situations (kind of like the dev traits are now) I would have reason to keep playing. Now I'm considering whether to just abandon the franchise or get ready to draft another QB next year.

Phillyboi207 09-14-2020 12:42 PM

Re: A small franchise tweak that would go a long way

To be fair they can still develop with the scenario engine so there’s reason to keep trying to develop him

direfire 09-14-2020 12:48 PM

I think Sports games period would be better if you never saw the ratings.... The only way you could tell if a player is good or a fit for your team is when you play them in game. Would add a ton of depth trying to figure out..

What you're looking for OP has been semi done in a tool called tdawgs xp progression tool...

Mackrel829 09-14-2020 12:49 PM

In short, because Madden is primarily made for casual fans who have no interest in waiting to find out how good a player is. I totally agree with you, but we've already seen that EA are going to commit as few resources as possible to what they see as a dead mode.

At the very least, they could potentially make all rookie's hidden dev.

Madden08PCgmr 09-14-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by direfire (Post 2050210791)
I think Sports games period would be better if you never saw the ratings.... The only way you could tell if a player is good or a fit for your team is when you play them in game. Would add a ton of depth trying to figure out..

^ I'm firmly in this camp.

Especially being on the PC side... the community has run every sim imaginable on the ratings... it can't be documented what most of them do, or how they interact with eachother in the first place.

stinkubus 09-14-2020 01:36 PM

Why on Earth would anyone waste their time running those sort of simulations when MUT Leaks twitter is going to post all the ratings thresholds and most of the relevant formulas which govern player interactions?

Madden08PCgmr 09-14-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkubus (Post 2050210834)
Why on Earth would anyone waste their time running those sort of simulations when MUT Leaks twitter is going to post all the ratings thresholds and most of the relevant formulas which govern player interactions?

Speaks to the passion of the fanbase, for starters.

Predates MUT, considerably.

.. better question is, why are we forced to deal with a game where we have to question fundamental elements like this?

Everybody knows what happens to a building with a bad foundation.

stinkubus 09-14-2020 01:52 PM

The whole point of my post is that you don't need to question the fundamental elements of the game because someone is kind enough to crack the game's source code and post all of the relevant information on their twitter account. They've been doing this since at least Madden 18.