Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Your #1 Improvement or Change for Madden? (/forums/showthread.php?t=976188)

Kanobi 09-19-2020 01:54 PM

Your #1 Improvement or Change for Madden?

Looking for constructive and specific answers please. Opinions of the game here span the entire spectrum from "Trash" to the "Greatest Madden Ever!".

So I'm curious as to what would be the ONE specific aspect of the game that you would personally make a top priority to either change or improve?

And again, please be specific...don't just say "A better franchise mode" but what particular area of franchise mode (contracts, draft class, player development, scenarios, etc) would you prioritize?

Also, let people speak their peace and be done. If you disagree or feel another area of the game is more important then that's fine. But respect their take and move on or state what you would focus on.
-------

For me, it's physics/player interaction hands down. It's a bit frustrating that the graphics are so impressive but there is zero sense of real velocity, momentum or explosive impact between players. I find it to be an absolute immersion killer.

Therefore, a new, real-time physics based gameplay engine would be my No. 1 priority for Madden moving forward, especially with the power of next-gen hardware.

How about you? What would you focus on?

Broncos86 09-19-2020 02:08 PM

Re: Your #1 Improvement or Change for Madden?

Making scouting into its own game of sorts. Simulate college player results that are trackable and correlate to the quality of the player. News headlines that relate and are more meaningful to the draft. Players that decide to stay in college for their senior year and end up in next year's draft. Newspaper interviews with potential picks that show personality traits. An interactive combine with players you can see. An NFL draft with Mel Kiper and Co talking about draft picks as they come and go.

I could keep going. :D

Dblock1111 09-19-2020 02:35 PM

I have so many I could think of for franchise mode but honestly, I wish they would have rebuilt this game from scratch on a different engine from Frostbite (probably unreal) for next gen. Even if everything remained the same modes wise, I think having a fresh start would be the best thing for this game.

oneamongthefence 09-19-2020 02:48 PM

Defensive coverage. Needs to be tuned/fixed so badly.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

norticans125 09-19-2020 03:56 PM

Stop making it visible who is the highest bidder in free agency for online franchise. Would erase all the last-minute snipe bidding and make free agency much more interesting overall. Show what teams are bidding, but in no order and no point value.

Shogunreaper 09-19-2020 04:42 PM

more animations, like thousands more to cover every possible situation so we don't get any warping at all.

pietasterp 09-19-2020 04:44 PM

Offensive/defensive player interaction (line play, blocking, tackling). The game looks great in still photos, but in motion, it's no better than the PS3/Xbox360 days.

tg88forHOF 09-19-2020 05:47 PM

Precise, detailed, comprehensive documentation across the entire game.

An example of the level of detail I'm talking about: "The Interceptions slider increases the frequency of interceptions in both user-controlled and simulated games. It does this by increasing or decreasing the weight of a coverage defenders' CTH, MCV, and ZCV in contested-catch calculations, increasing the impact of AWR in all scenarios (making defenders more aware of where and when passes are being attempted), and by changing the AI's logic to X, Y, and Z. Increasing the slider by 5 will have approximately this much effect on the game".

Do this for sliders and adjustable settings. Do this for every player attribute and trait. Do this for the sim engine (describe in detail how it determines results). Do this for franchise AI logic and decisions. Do this for trade AI. Do it for every single piece of the game we can see.

The documentation should look like a late 90s/early 2000s strategy game manual. I'm talking like a Sid Meiers level novel.

At least help us understand what we see and experience. Let us see why a specific thing happened, so we can either adjust it if we want (and can), or wrap our heads around what's a random result and what's a bug that should be reported. I'd be willing to bet that half of the community's frustration with the game is based on the amount of guesswork we have to do around why something happened the way it did.

This would also have the side effect of clarifying the same things for every Tiburon staff member that works on the game, so they can fully understand the nuances of parts of the game they don't always touch. That's not snarky or an attack on the developers....it's extremely common that developers don't have access to documentation that extensive.

I've run doc exercise like this for software companies before...every one of them has learned something themselves just from going through the exercise. There are always devs that come out of it saying "huh...I've been here 5 years, and I didn't know that". Every time I host a meeting so my team can gather the information they need for the documentation, and a development manager answers "I don't know how that works...let me research it and get back to you", I know we've done something valuable.