Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   NBA 2K21 MyGM vs MyLeague (/forums/showthread.php?t=976420)

K_rob11 09-24-2020 07:27 AM

NBA 2K21 MyGM vs MyLeague

Every year I tell myself that I this is the year that I am skipping out on NBA 2K, and every year I prove myself wrong. However, the time spent with this game has become less and less over the last 3 releases with NBA 2k20 being the least played version I've ever had (more because of time and circumstances and not because of how I felt about the game). I actually never got a enough time with NBA 2k20 to form an opinion on it. My wife and I had a baby last year and I ended up giving my xbox one to my oldest son and so I've mainly just been spending my free time with NBA 2k11 on my old 360.
Over the weekend I finally broke down and purchased a new console (PS4)! along with NBA2K21. I have a lot of excitment to be playing on a current gen console again (first experience with a PS4) and a current gen NBA game after spending so much time again with NBA2k11 over the last year.

I am strictly an offline myLeague guy. I can't remember when exactly they changed myGM to the narrative mode but I never really dove deep into it because I guess I was afraid of all the tediousness (same reason for me always avoiding owner mode in madden).
But, this year I am willing to give it a shot just to change things up a bit, hopefully to add a little more to what I am used to in myLeague which admittedly may be getting a little stale.

I am sure it's probably not THAT much different but if you guys can maybe discuss and layout the differences in myLeague and myGM, some pros and cons, or any annoyances or bugs I need to be aware of, I would appreciate it!

My prediction is that I will end up not even touching the mode anyway because it doesn't seem too popular as I never see it being discussed. I guess I'm just curious as to why its not a popular mode amongst the older sim players like me.

K_rob11 09-24-2020 10:14 AM

Re: NBA 2K21 MyGM vs MyLeague

So wow....I did some digging (probably should've did that before starting this thread) but I was completely unaware of the changes that happened to MyGM in NBA 2K20 and apparently the mode wasn't touched this year? I don't know if any patches made myGM more enjoyable last year, but it seems that the overwhelming majority hated myGM in 2k20. I am assuming its just as bad in 2K21 since I can't seem to find anything on it. Kind of a bummer, but looks like it will just be another year of myLeague.

If anyone has any input on myGM for 2K21 (or even 2K20 for that matter), would still love to read your thoughts on the game mode.

jk31 09-24-2020 10:17 AM

I for myself don't like MyGM at all. You don't have any customization available to you which is necessarily needed to have a decent experience, as the AI teams tend to **** up in the long run.
I also dislike these stupid roleplaying elements very much.

Gramps91 09-24-2020 10:25 AM

Here's a couple threads about the 2k20 MyGM. I didn't really play it specifically as I'm more of a MyLeague guy but from what I remember most people hated it because you can't really edit anything and I remember at the beginning last year you couldn't even change quarter lengths and every game had to have 5 minute quarters, I don't know if they ended up patching that or not

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...mygm-mode.html

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-question.html

K_rob11 09-24-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk31 (Post 2050220739)
I for myself don't like MyGM at all. You don't have any customization available to you which is necessarily needed to have a decent experience, as the AI teams tend to **** up in the long run.
I also dislike these stupid roleplaying elements very much.

i don't think I would mind the roleplaying elements....like I said I was basically trying to freshen things up a bit from only playing myLeague all these years. I was looking for a little bit of a different experience and I thought myGM would be interesting to try....but not after all that I am reading on here lol.
So when you say "you don't have any customization", I am assuming you mean not being able to customize players on CPU rosters? I am usually not one to do a lot of customization anyway.

K_rob11 09-24-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888 (Post 2050220750)
Here's a couple threads about the 2k20 MyGM. I didn't really play it specifically as I'm more of a MyLeague guy but from what I remember most people hated it because you can't really edit anything and I remember at the beginning last year you couldn't even change quarter lengths and every game had to have 5 minute quarters, I don't know if they ended up patching that or not

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...mygm-mode.html

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-question.html

Thanks! looking at the threads now. I think the first link you sent is the one I am reading through now and is where I am getting most of my discouragement from. Not being able to AT LEAST change quarter length is a total head scratcher! It seems they are trying to exclusively make this game for online crowd more and more these days. Old single offline players like me are definitely becoming dinosaurs.

duce 09-24-2020 11:14 AM

I’m usually sliders guy but I’m trying ranked myGM this year. It kind of reminds me of the random events generator and gives an additional challenge, kinda. (Having to run PnR with no play calls first game)

Seems like it helps move the season along by having each day represented by a limited number of actions. I’m gonna check it out for a while but I see AI gameplay could be tightened up beyond what 2K is putting out.

Gramps91 09-24-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_rob11 (Post 2050220766)
Thanks! looking at the threads now. I think the first link you sent is the one I am reading through now and is where I am getting most of my discouragement from. Not being able to AT LEAST change quarter length is a total head scratcher! It seems they are trying to exclusively make this game for online crowd more and more these days. Old single offline players like me are definitely becoming dinosaurs.

You and me both, pal.